GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Today my passenger side window struggled to go up and down. it took several presses of the button and this was the same using the switch on either door. Has anyone experienced anything similar ?
Sponsored

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Today my passenger side window struggled to go up and down. it took several presses of the button and this was the same using the switch on either door. Has anyone experienced anything similar ?
I haven't, but I've read that it often happens. It seems like two things can cause it. First, some are able to reset it. Others open the door up and see it's water causing the problem.

OP
OP
GR11M

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't, but I've read that it often happens. It seems like two things can cause it. First, some are able to reset it. Others open the door up and see it's water causing the problem.
I've had sound insulation lining the inside of the doors for the last 2-3 years. I've also seen water struggling to drain from the bottom of the door at times because of it, so it could be a possibility but it would also mean it could dry out on it's own.

andyturbo2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Convertible
It'll be the upside down plug under the window motor. Gets wet and stops working. Remove, dry, clean connectors replace.

OP
OP
GR11M

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I finally got round to removing the window motor. It was a bit of a ball ache, as You have to remove the glass. The inside of the door and the window motor was pretty wet too.

1000007674.jpg

1000007643.jpg

Sponsored

Danny_r67

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang ecoboost
I have this same exact problem, came after car freezing up on winter mornings, now passenger window only works with half presses and need to do it 3 times every time. Did you solve this issue with drying out the parts or did you have to replace the parts?

OP
OP
GR11M

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't done anything since I took the window motor out 2 weeks ago. I'll probably try and re-connect it tomorrow to see whether drying it out has fixed the issue. If that fails I'll have to buy another motor. I already need to replace my puddle lamps again.

Danny_r67

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang ecoboost
I haven't done anything since I took the window motor out 2 weeks ago. I'll probably try and re-connect it tomorrow to see whether drying it out has fixed the issue. If that fails I'll have to buy another motor. I already need to replace my puddle lamps again.
good man let us know how you get on.

OP
OP
GR11M

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I connected it back to the power only and it works. I'm not sure if it's because it's not fully connected but the switch only worked in short bursts, holding it down doesn't keep the motor going. Will try to reinstall it when it stops raining.

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
its usually just the electrical switches are wet through ...
door card off
dry all electrical connections and check them (use hair drier or heat gun on cool)
door card on
done

also try reset - press window switch down and hold for 10 seconds
press window switch up and hold for 10 seconds - then down for 10 more seconds
this has been known to fix it on its own...i

Sponsored
OP
OP
GR11M

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The actual motor was wet, I was able to flick water out of it. I also dried out the inside of the door at the same time but it was wet again when I checked on it yesterday, as it had been raining.

Before it stopped working the drivers side switch had identical issues to the passenger side, so I'm not sure it's an issue with the switches with me.

The reset will likely need to be done as well as playing with the positioning of the window in the clamps to make sure it seals up against the rubber seal properly.

OP
OP
GR11M

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I fitted the window motor back but somethings not right. The motor only works in short bursts, so the long press doesn't fully open or close the window, the motor doesn't work when the door opens or closes but what's more weird is the switch is backwards. Pressing down the window goes up and pressing up the window goes down. This this the same with the switches on both doors. The drivers side window goes down when pressing it down and up when pressed up.

OP
OP
GR11M

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I managed to fix it but I don't know how. If you take the metal cover off the motor there's a chance it will pull the shaft out far enough for the brushes to pop out. I pulled it all out and rebuilt it a couple of times and it suddenly started working but I don't know what was changed.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
I managed to fix it but I don't know how. If you take the metal cover off the motor there's a chance it will pull the shaft out far enough for the brushes to pop out. I pulled it all out and rebuilt it a couple of times and it suddenly started working but I don't know what was changed.
thats a result for sure - fancy doing my VCT and phaser units next :crackup:

OP
OP
GR11M

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
thats a result for sure - fancy doing my VCT and phaser units next :crackup:
I still have a billet water pump pulley, oil pump gears and housing, crank sprocket and harmonic balancer to install. I'm not looking forward to removing the chain 😟
Sponsored