Sponsored

P0171 and P2197 Codes after Airbox Swap

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Sunday morning, I pulled the front of my car apart to install my Big Mouth, as well as my 2018 airbox and intake tube. I pulled off the stock 2016 intake tube, then realized that I had not accounted for the fact that the 2016 has two vacuum connections (in addition to the sound tube), while the 2018 has one vacuum connection. Since I'm not ready to swap in my 2018 intake manifold, I put the 2016 tube and airbox lid back on, but left the 2018 airbox bottom in the car. I inadvertently broke the two clips that hold the vacuum lines onto the intake tube, and didn't think anything of it. I started the car, and everything was fine.

I did not drive the vehicle yesterday.

Today I started it, drove about 10 minutes at highway speeds, parked, and went into a store. I came back out about ten minutes later, and upon starting the car, it stumbled a bit at 700 RPM, dropped to about 400 RPM, then stabilized. It didn't seem to have a rough idle. I drove to another store, sat on a conference call for about 30 minutes with the car running, then went inside. Upon starting the car again, it stumbled, but then stabilized. I pulled out of the parking lot, went to get back on the highway, and saw the CEL on.

When I got home, I read the codes, and got:
P0171 - System Too Lean (Bank 1)
P2197 - O2 A/F Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Lean (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

I cleared the codes, put new vacuum hose clips on, then started the car again. Again, the car stumbled slightly. I sprayed carb cleaner all over the connections I had disrupted, but didn't get a surge from a vacuum leak. I haven't driven the car since then, and I'm a little worried to do so.

Thoughts?

JR
Sponsored

OP
OP
jacknifetoaswan

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I'm on the stock tune.

JR
Ah well no wonder. You can't change the intake to a 2018 and stay on the stock tune. The MAF and intake tube are a completely different size, which requires a tune.

Either go back to stock, or contact a tuner to send you a custom tune to match your new intake setup. Don't drive it until you do one of these two, you will cause damage to your engine and it will never run right.

OP
OP
jacknifetoaswan

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah well no wonder. You can't change the intake to a 2018 and stay on the stock tune. The MAF and intake tube are a completely different size, which requires a tune.

Either go back to stock, or contact a tuner to send you a custom tune to match your new intake setup.
I know that. The only thing I changed was the bottom of the airbox, which doesn't matter.

I'm deciding between Wengard and PDB on my tuner, and will be doing the 2018 manifold in the next few weeks, once I have my tuner, but for now, nothing changed other than the bottom of the airbox.

JR

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I know that. The only thing I changed was the bottom of the airbox, which doesn't matter.

I'm deciding between Wengard and PDB on my tuner, and will be doing the 2018 manifold in the next few weeks, once I have my tuner, but for now, nothing changed other than the bottom of the airbox.

JR
Ok, then if you put the stock back on and cleared the codes, it should be fine it might take a bit to re-learn.
Sponsored