Sponsored

Science is now cancelled? [USERS NOW BANNED FOR POLITICS]

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
wow, I didn't know Prince Harry owned a Mustang and is a member is on here. Amazing the things you learn.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Here's How Much Land We Need to Rewild in The Next 10 Years to Save The Planet (msn.com)

Hello; This link is loaded with things to be done in addition to reducing greenhouse gases. I had a suspicion there was more to the plan.

Quotes from the link:
"Today, humans have pushed the world so far into a climate crisis, merely cutting greenhouse gases likely won't be enough to curb future warming. Restoring ecosystems could help draw down some of what we've already emitted, getting us a third of the way to our 2030 goals, and yet natural climate solutions like rewilding receive only about 2.5 percent of the money currently allocated for climate mitigation."
Hello; Money again of course.

Quotes from the link:
"Fixing this involves more than simply planting trees. Rewilding is the restoration of ecosystem function and includes things like changing the way we farm to restore soil health, restoring nature to urban areas, and protecting marine environments. It involves everyone from governments to businesses and citizens."

Hello; I saw on TV how an historic Farm in a nearby County, Knox County, is about to be auctioned off. As has become the norm it will be sold in tracts. That means the farm will no longer be a farm. It most likely will be a housing development or just several individual house lots depending on how the auction goes.
Say the land is divided into ten tracts of equal acreage. The first round of bidding can be for each of the tracts individually. After all ten are bid on, then the practice often is to have a bid for the entire farm. May sound odd but I have been to a few of these and see it go that way. I think the plan is to get a set price for each tract, add the ten prices together and start the bidding from that total. The auctions I went to wind up with a too huge total for anyone to be willing to keep the land as one big piece. Most likely a way to get the greater price.

What happens is the farm is no longer a farm. Usually a house is built on each tract with driveways, patios and such. Some percentage of the land is covered with the square footage of the house and pavements. There are usually grass yards but not very often not any more food grown on the land.

This has been the pattern for decades around my area.

Last edited:

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; Good information. More influence and power than I had thought

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Biden Electric-Vehicle Subsidies: A ā€˜Greenā€™ Giveaway to the Rich (msn.com)

Hello; This is a "follow the money" link and a good one.

Quotes from the link;
"proposed ā€œgreenā€ spending binge amounts to nothing more than a taxpayer-financed handout to environmentally conscious rich people."

"it isnā€™t the working class that has made use of this existing program, at least to any meaningful degree. According to the Congressional Research Service, nearly 80 percent of the tax creditā€™s beneficiaries in 2016 had incomes of more than $100,000, while 7 percent of those who benefited from the carve-out were millionaires. And per IRS data, 62 percent of 2018 beneficiaries had incomes exceeding $200,000."

"the existing tax-credit program has serious problems. A 2019 report from the Treasury Department concluded that the Internal Revenue Service ā€œdoes not have effective processes to identify and prevent erroneous claims.ā€ The report found that the current system has resulted in at least 16,510 taxpayers receiving a whopping $73.8 million in potentially erroneous subsidies."

"According to the Cato Institute, American passenger vehicles are responsible for only roughly 2.4 percent of global carbon emissions. Eliminating that 2.4 percent in its entirety would be unlikely to make much of a difference to the outlook for the climate, and Bidenā€™s subsidy binge certainly wouldnā€™t do that. Not everyone would switch even with massive subsidies, and electric vehicles run on . . . well, electricity ā€” which still mostly comes from fossil-fuel sources.

To be clear, thereā€™s nothing wrong with electric cars. Hopefully, the technology will continue to develop, and anyone who wants to buy one should feel free to do so. What is wrong is forcing taxpayers to pick up the tab."

Hello; The figure that American passenger vehicle contribute only 2.4% (less than 3%) of global carbon emissions caught my eye.

I await the usual complaint about the source of the article. So often one of the champions will only deride the source of the articles and will not address any of the information. Here is a thought, after you make remarks being critical of the author or the institution the author happens to belong to, try being specific as to what was written.

Last edited:

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Once again explained to you over and over again. Trees sequester CO2 - correct. Burning trees releases the CO2 - correct (the same CO2) = short term cycle.

Burning oil and coal releases CO2 sequestered millions of years ago and cannot be re-sequestered back into fossil fuels for millions of years if at all.

It really is primary school maths but that will probably be a stretch for you.
Aside from not knowing the difference between maths (sic) and chemistry, it sounds like you were out sick for grade, high and university school. Trees and coal do NOT sequester CO2.

The CO2 you refer to is generated by combining carbon in those items with oxygen from the air. The CO2 was never sequestered in them.

I guess you think trees manufacture the oxygen they emit from quarks instead of getting it by breaking up CO2 already in air. Whoops, you had to be out sick on quark days too. So I guess you think trees create oxygen via voodoo. Yes, Voodoo is not just an engine.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Seriously YOU are the only person bothered about this. I'm having a sensible discussion and you keep popping up posting drivel like a stuck record.

I have no idea what the point is you are trying to make other than some silly 'we won the war' that nobody here cares about anyway. Things have moved on in the world since then even if you haven't.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
he figure that American passenger vehicle contribute only 2.4% (less than 3%) of global carbon emissions caught my eye.
Wellā€¦itā€™s a nonsensical figure.
Why would you expect emissions from cars in the US to be much more or less than the figure quoted?

If you look at the chart below, you soon realise that ā€œtransportā€ represents roughly 29% of CO2 emissions in the US. The wordsmithery of the source you cite is that he specifically mentioned ā€œcarsā€.
So, take transport and divide out the buses, trains, planes and any other methods of transport you can think of that arenā€™t carsā€¦
Now take those emissions and divide them by ā€œrest of worldā€ and you soon see that itā€™s nonsensical.

Another way to look at it is this:
The US population occupies somewhere in the order of 4% of global population.
Your cars ALONE represent 2.5% of global emissions, not including other forms of transport, industry, electricity, commerce and agriculture, all of which make the situation much worse than your Cato Institute statistician attempts to make it seem.

Out of interest, fo you happen to know much about the Cato Institute?
You keep telling us to ā€œfollow the moneyā€ and yet youā€™re quoting a source that is literally and demonstrably ALL about the money.
Does the name ā€œKochā€ mean anything to you?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Lots of us care about freedom, unfortunately you greenies are making so much noise, some are buying your bull@#$% and giving it up.

I hope the next elections will stop it.

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Aside from not knowing the difference between maths (sic) and chemistry, it sounds like you were out sick for grade, high and university school. Trees and coal do NOT sequester CO2.

The CO2 you refer to is generated by combining carbon in those items with oxygen from the air. The CO2 was never sequestered in them.

I guess you think trees manufacture the oxygen they emit from quarks instead of getting it by breaking up CO2 already in air. Whoops, you had to be out sick on quark days too. So I guess you think trees create oxygen via voodoo. Yes, Voodoo is not just an engine.
Well clearly you didn't go to school at all!

CO2 is sequestered (the carbon bit), in the case of the oil billions of years ago.

How Forests Store Carbon (psu.edu)

'The CO2 you refer to is generated by combining carbon in those items with oxygen from the air'

Completely and utterly wrong. You do not understand photosynthesis.

What is photosynthesis? - BBC Bitesize

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Seriously YOU are the only person bothered about this. I'm having a sensible discussion and you keep popping up posting drivel like a stuck record.

I have no idea what the point is you are trying to make other than some silly 'we won the war' that nobody here cares about anyway. Things have moved on in the world since then even if you haven't.
I assume youā€™re talking to BJ. If so, just set him to silent. Life is much better when you donā€™t have to endure him.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Wellā€¦itā€™s a nonsensical figure.
Cato institute is nonsensical?

It does appear any source that has information differing from yours is nonsense according to you.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)

Hello; Let ma add that "burning" of carbon does not have to be in an actual flame. We know that plants can take CO2 from the air and will keep the carbon atoms while releasing the oxygen as a waste product. The carbon atoms become part of the body of the plants. Some of those plant parts we can eat for our fuel. Our cells in effect pull energy from the carbohydrates in a way similar to burning wood in a fire. The cellular respiration combines the carbon with oxygen which releases some energy to keep us alive and give off CO2 as a waste byproduct. So in a sense we animals "burn" the carbon. Same thing in the decay process of organic material.

When I mow my lawn the clippings have stored ( sequestered if you prefer a 1$ word) carbon. As the dead clippings decay the carbon winds up as off gassed CO2.

To sequester the carbon from CO2 from the air and have it meant anything the carbon needs to somehow made into a solid state. Wood and plant parts are fine as long as you do not burn or allow the parts to rot. Houses and buildings are fine ways to sequester carbon for a long time.

Limestone rock is a way nature has sequestered carbon. The animals make shells with the carbon. The animal dies and the empty shell forms a sediment at the bottom of a sea and becomes the sedimentary rock limestone. If the limestone happens to have a volcanic heat source come close enough it can be changed into marble.

What we need is a way to mimic how the mollusks, diatoms and other animal make shells. Then keep the resulting calcium carbonate away for acidic compounds. I live in a karst formation area. Lots of limestone bedrock. It is eaten up with caves and sinkholes. CO2 and acids in rain dissolve paths in the limestone. I explored caves in my youth. There are chambers underground in my area big enough to hold very large buildings. There are cave passages in some caves you could run a freight train thru. If you ever get to Mammoth Cave in western KY you can take a walk thru some large passages.
There is a sinkhole about a 1/2 mile from my house. It drains a large field. When we get a hard rain there will be a pond of an acre or two in the low area of the field that can take a few days to drain into the sinkhole. Every day tho there is a small stream that empties into it. I can imagine a huge chamber directly under my house that can swallow the house ten times over.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
You all do realize we are carbon based life forms, correct?
Sponsored