Sponsored

Other pro's and con's of the Performance Pack?

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
Now from reading the replies about how shitty the longevity is on the "summer tires"...I'm not sure what I'll do about that. Since the car I buy will have between 5k-10k on it...if they aren't changed out by then they'll need to be.
it will be obvious if the used car you are looking at has much tire wear. Or if you want to be scientific, you can buy a tire depth gauge. Or the salesman will have one.

For car shopping, if you aren't too hung up on S550, you might can get a deal on an S197. Sometimes the high mileage cars are a deal because they see mostly highway miles, yet depreciate nicely.

EDIT: I guess that's one thing I should budget into the purchase...just plan on replacing them. I think the $64 question is going to be...with what? Tires that might have a 60:40 split between longevity (which I care a LOT more about) and performance.
this one is easy. Just shop on tirerack for A/S with 4.5 star rating and high longevity rating. A number of choices in the 18" tire sizes. Not sure about 19 / 19.5 "
Sponsored

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
I've had my car since dec of 2014 and now at 2800 miles it gets used as it was meant to be (at the track). Love blasting through the gears, makes u feel alive and puts the biggest smile on my face. Last time I felt that, was in a 08 v10 m5 and that car was 3 times more $$$. There are many better cars out there than the gt pp. But not many that offer this much for around 35k.
Funny you should mention better cars....I've been curious about that, but it's definitely for another thread. Essentially I'm curious about which cars can leave the GT in their dust and maybe which might seem like family sedans/SUV's but will eat the GT for breakfast. I'm guessing plenty of the higher end German cars will. But again, another thread.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
That's interesting to read. Never knew that. I thought the leather would wear slower, feel better, and last longer. I guess I'll have to do some digging on that one.
Be sure to take a look at the Premier Color Accent Group on the Premiums. It's an upgrade to the leather that costs less than $400 and in my opinion transforms the interior into something of much higher quality. My seats have 13,000 miles on them and can't be told from new. No wear, no wrinkling, no looseness. Can't be said for the base leather. That, and the Redline just looks so cool with so many of the colors!

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Be sure to take a look at the Premier Color Accent Group on the Premiums. It's an upgrade to the leather that costs less than $400 and in my opinion transforms the interior into something of much higher quality. My seats have 13,000 miles on them and can't be told from new. No wear, no wrinkling, no looseness. Can't be said for the base leather. That, and the Redline just looks so cool with so many of the colors!

Never knew there was a difference.

Is there a way to tell by looking at pics in a classified ad?

Thanks

-Emt1581

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Never knew there was a difference.

Is there a way to tell by looking at pics in a classified ad?

Thanks

-Emt1581
If it's Redline, it's pretty conspicuous (see my other posts of my interior), it's red :D The seating surfaces and the center door inserts (and the stitching everywhere)

If it's Ebony or Yellowjacket and they have good photos, with closeups of the stitching, you can tell as well (black has contrasting light silver and yellow jacket is yellow, but the door inserts are black).

Sponsored

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it's Redline, it's pretty conspicuous (see my other posts of my interior), it's red :D The seating surfaces and the center door inserts (and the stitching everywhere)

If it's Ebony or Yellowjacket and they have good photos, with closeups of the stitching, you can tell as well (black has contrasting light silver and yellow jacket is yellow, but the door inserts are black).
Thanks for the info.

Now I'm guessing there's a miniscule amount of these on the used market. If going out of my way to make a car as customized as a premium performance with this leather upgrade...am I likely to tire of it or lose it to the bank?

Ill start looking closer at the pics though.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Qwkynuf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT
Look around, most folks that don't get the PP regret it for the most part. It's a hugely cost effective package. Other than the gearing I see no real con to it myself. I wouldn't have bought mine without it and the Recaro's.
For me, the PP was a non-starter. Much as I would love the firmer suspension goodies, I bought my car to drive - I was on track for 25k miles the first year, before I changed jobs. The staggered setup leaves you unable to rotate your tires, accelerating treadwear. The summer-only tires wouldn't be ideal for my area in the Pacific NW, and the 3.73 rear end would reduce my gas mileage *all* of the time, while improving my acceleration *some* of the time.

For my use case, it just wasn't a good fit. I realize that others use their cars differently and love their PPs, it's just not for me.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For me, the PP was a non-starter. Much as I would love the firmer suspension goodies, I bought my car to drive - I was on track for 25k miles the first year, before I changed jobs. The staggered setup leaves you unable to rotate your tires, accelerating treadwear. The summer-only tires wouldn't be ideal for my area in the Pacific NW, and the 3.73 rear end would reduce my gas mileage *all* of the time, while improving my acceleration *some* of the time.

For my use case, it just wasn't a good fit. I realize that others use their cars differently and love their PPs, it's just not for me.
Not being able to rotate is going to suck. We talked about it in the spare tire thread but if making all the wheels 19x9 then they can be rotated. But it means finding a fellow premium owner that wants to trade.

...a very tall order IMO.

-Emt1581

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Or buy aftermarket repro wheels from am

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
yall not being able to rotate isn't a big deal. you bought a 40k car. not a 20k... you want the look you got to pay to play.

i had staggered for 8 years on previous 350z and put tires on it 3 times and traded it with 80k. you just gotta take care of the tires. you out there doing hairpin turns and burnouts, what you expect?

it's not like you can't go square either... like i said, you hang out around this forum anyway you going to be buying other tires and wheels lol...then just sell off the pp and make most of your money back on the entire PP price alone.

Sponsored

SF-2015 GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO Recaros
Time to chime in here... I wanted a 9/10 Daily Driver, so PP with ALL it's unique items makes it competitive with the SS-1LE I was cross-shopping. I'm very happy with the overall car, and noted the same comments as above (lower FE and far less "floaty"). Plus, the Recaros rock! Hope this helps influence you.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
yall not being able to rotate isn't a big deal. you bought a 40k car. not a 20k... you want the look you got to pay to play.

i had staggered for 8 years on previous 350z and put tires on it 3 times and traded it with 80k. you just gotta take care of the tires. you out there doing hairpin turns and burnouts, what you expect?

it's not like you can't go square either... like i said, you hang out around this forum anyway you going to be buying other tires and wheels lol...then just sell off the pp and make most of your money back on the entire PP price alone.
Yeah, I've had staggered setups for the last, geez, 20+ years, even my sedans.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Can't go square...meaning make all the wheels the same so rotating is possible? That's pretty much what we were talking about in the spare tire thread.

As for paying to play, are you saying it's just a given that, with normal/non-hot dog driving, replacing every 2 years or so is to be expected?

If so, I'd probably spread that out to 3 years (due to it being a 9 month car for me) but I can't imagine all 4 would need replacing that much, just the rears.

-Emt1581

Coaster

RallyNorthAmerica.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.imprtcl.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fastback GT Guard
Can't go square...meaning make all the wheels the same so rotating is possible? That's pretty much what we were talking about in the spare tire thread.

As for paying to play, are you saying it's just a given that, with normal/non-hot dog driving, replacing every 2 years or so is to be expected?

If so, I'd probably spread that out to 3 years (due to it being a 9 month car for me) but I can't imagine all 4 would need replacing that much, just the rears.

-Emt1581
Driving the car hard mine eats the inside edges of the fronts faster than the rears. I don't do burnouts though.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Driving the car hard mine eats the inside edges of the fronts faster than the rears. I don't do burnouts though.
That makes sense though because of carving into turns and such. I'd expect the rear wheels would wear more toward the center if not evenly.

-Emt1581
Sponsored