Dizzy33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lionel
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Fastback GT 2019
Hello,

first of all english is not my native language, so I hope I will be clear enough.
My 2019 is colored with "Orange Fury".
A part of the Mustang had some scratches, so I asked to the bodybuilder (painter) to re-paint it.
But he meets a lot of problems.
The first time he painted it, the color had some green reflects on part which was painted. So he re-did it.
The 2nd time, the orange was too light (too clear) compared to the rest of the car.
He says that the colormeter does not show the same value on any the car parts, so he does not know how to proceed to recreate the exact same color.

As Orange Fury is a pearly metallic color, hard to reproduce, did any of you alread y had to re-paint a Mustang with this color, or equivalent ?
How was the result ? What's the secret to be sure that the re-painted part will have no differences ?

Thanks !
Sponsored

Jackismydog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francois
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 Convertible
Lionel,

Change de peintre !!! Je ne peux pas croire qu'il n'y a pas un gars de body capable dans ton coin ? At last go to your Ford dealer. They can suggest a reputable bodyshop or do it the way you want!

DadzMach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
If he is having those issues, you need a better painter. All paint shops use a camera type device that will give the painter the exact formula for a perfect match. Even if you get someone with a perfect match they need to know how to hold the gun, distance and coats to get it right. I have never had an issue with the painter I use. Perfect match every time.

OP
OP

Dizzy33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lionel
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Fastback GT 2019
Thanks a lot for your answers ! The current painter was paid by Ford (because Ford did the scratches on my car ...), so if I change of painter I will have to pay for it. But more and more I am thinking that I would better pay and have a good result ...
The more suprising is that this painter deals with Ferrari, Aston Martin, even if it's mainly with Tesla cars. I even saw a Mc Laren P1 last week ... So why my Orange Fury Mustang gives him so many problems, I do not understand.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Metallic finish paints are always problematic to match. The body shop should be doing multiple spray outs of test panels to try and match the paint the best they can .

Sponsored

OP
OP

Dizzy33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lionel
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Fastback GT 2019
Yes, that's exactly what they will do. I hope the result will be good enough but I think I must lower my expectations about the result ... :frown:

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
I would say the painter that Ford chose...who painted for other high-end brands may be blowing smoke. It may be he was on a Ford budget instead of a customers budget and performed the job accordingly. Ford probably doesn't pay the same as Aston Martin and Ferrari.
Anyway, I know there are many folks out there that are better eyeing color match/color differences than the machines they use. In fact I had an acquaintance when living in Greensboro, NC who worked for PPG and the company had his eyes insured for his ability. That's the type of person you need if you want it done right. You can generally find those folks at independent sites, but you'll need to seek them out.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
Hey this is Junior from N4SM. The orange fury color is a very hard color to match but it can be done. My dad changed the hood and bumper on his 2018 Orange Fury GT. The body shop we took the car to had a hard time matching the color. I believe they said it was a 4-5 stage paint. It is going to be factory perfect in my opinion no but it is very hard to tell the difference. I think it comes down to the body shop and if they really want to take the time to perfect the color for you.
IMG_3449.JPG

OP
OP

Dizzy33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lionel
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Fastback GT 2019
In fact they already re-painted it about 6 times now ... Since the last time when I asked them to re-do it, they now have my Mustang for 2 weeks, and still now news, so I guess they may repaint it again several times before giving it back to me. But then, I will keep the Mustang, and give it to another bodyshop hoping they will obtain a better result. The bad news is that I will have to pay one more time !
And all of that, because Ford made these scratches on my Mustang !!! :devil:

Sponsored
OP
OP

Dizzy33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lionel
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Fastback GT 2019
I just picked up my Mustang at the bodyshop. It seems that this time the color is OK (but the sky was cloudy, no direct sun, so a bit hard to tell, this need to be confirmed).
So if I confirm the color is OK the next time their will be sun (rainy days this week ...), They had to repaint it 5 times to get the right color. But again, still need to be confirmed ... :frown:

OP
OP

Dizzy33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lionel
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Fastback GT 2019
Still not good !!! The color is now too dark, and not enough pearly, and these ass**les did also paint a door, which I told them not to paint !!! So now I have to repaint both the door and the rear part of the car.
I am now desperate ... I wonder if I will be able to find a bodyshop which will be able to paint it right.

OP
OP

Dizzy33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lionel
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Fastback GT 2019
Today I came to a new bodyshop : their spectrometer had good results, compared to my previous bodyshop. Plus the previous bodyshop used a 3 layers paint (the color was a different layer with the pearl effect), this new one says its paint is only 2 layers, where the color is already mixed with the pearl effect. So I will try this new bodyshop in a few months and see if the result is better ... I cross my fingers !

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350