Sponsored

OPG FAILED last night, street car.

HaximusPrime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT-PP
While it may be covered, they aren't going to rush your car through repairs IF it happens. You have to consider how long you are ok not having your car. If you can afford the parts and do the install yourself, I would still say it's worth it to not lose your car for 1-2 months, maybe more, waiting on Ford or Roush. I think it's not likely to happen with the Roush if your tune keeps the RPMs down but who the heck knows for sure with these things.
While I'd be sad to not have the car for a month or two, this car will be a weekend car that I hope to keep the miles off of, so it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

I'm getting mine from Lebanon Ford, and would probably have them do the install while they're doing the SC. The money is just one of those situations where I have it, but it just means not doing other mods I had planned for a while (which translates to a little sadness) :-)
Sponsored

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Roush offers an extended powertrain warranty for additional cost, which covers the OPG/TG issue. I have heard some say the extended warranty was included when they bought the car through a Roush dealer. Otherwise, it is a $995 add-on. Installer who did my SC did not feel doing the OPG was necessary for my application (street only car) but would have gladly taken my money to do the work. I chose to pay for the warranty as it covers more than the OPG. That being said, I have not dealt with Roush warranty service and could very well be a headache in waiting.....who knows.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Don't be fooled by the term STREET ONLY car, if you plan to go FI on your car do the OP & CG at that time. The question isn't will it fail it's when, if you plan on leaving the car NA then you are probably ok with the stock gears.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Hi there

I spoke with Lund today regarding OPG/Gears, they told me if go FI its not a case if will they break, but when they break and as such they recommend they are upgraded on all FI cars.

I asked about being NA and they told me stay under 7700rpm and keep out the limiter and will be fine, they said its the bouncing of the limiter that actually breaks them, so in short change up before hitting the limiter and all will be fine on an NA car. :)

bigfoot21075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible with Performance Pack
Don't be fooled by the term STREET ONLY car, if you plan to go FI on your car do the OP & CG at that time. The question isn't will it fail it's when, if you plan on leaving the car NA then you are probably ok with the stock gears.
:doh:

Sponsored

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
Hi there

I spoke with Lund today regarding OPG/Gears, they told me if go FI its not a case if will they break, but when they break and as such they recommend they are upgraded on all FI cars.

I asked about being NA and they told me stay under 7700rpm and keep out the limiter and will be fine, they said its the bouncing of the limiter that actually breaks them, so in short change up before hitting the limiter and all will be fine on an NA car. :)
Lund needs to be careful with their recommendations. It's the torsional vibration of the crank that breaks the gears. Whether thats RPM or power dependant, either cause it. Ford has said, on this forum, that the factory balancer and clutch act as dampers for this vibration. If you add RPM over 7500, or change out for a lighter clutch, or add a bunch of power; you need to seriously consider an ATI balancer or OPG/TS.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Lund needs to be careful with their recommendations. It's the torsional vibration of the crank that breaks the gears. Whether thats RPM or power dependant, either cause it. Ford has said, on this forum, that the factory balancer and clutch act as dampers for this vibration. If you add RPM over 7500, or change out for a lighter clutch, or add a bunch of power; you need to seriously consider an ATI balancer or OPG/TS.
But that is pretty much what they told me. :confused:

They said on NA stay out of the limiter and don't rev it too much beyond 7500rpm, that is why there tunes have the hard limiter at 7700rpm, but at 7500-7700rpm their tune pulls timing.

Maybe I did not make it clear but they said NA, RPM under 7500rpm and do not hit the limiter and all should be well.

Want to rev higher, FI and they strongly recommended the OPG/gears.

bigfoot21075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible with Performance Pack
Your quote;

"Don't be fooled by the term STREET ONLY car, if you plan to go FI on your car do the OP & CG at that time. The question isn't will it fail it's when, if you plan on leaving the car NA then you are probably ok with the stock gears."

earned the :doh: in my opinion. You do not know that OPG is going to fail if you supercharge the car or not. There are WAY more Coyote Mustangs that are FINE with superchargers than the ones who have seen failures. It is NOT a question of when but if.

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
Your quote;

"Don't be fooled by the term STREET ONLY car, if you plan to go FI on your car do the OP & CG at that time. The question isn't will it fail it's when, if you plan on leaving the car NA then you are probably ok with the stock gears."

earned the :doh: in my opinion. You do not know that OPG is going to fail if you supercharge the car or not. There are WAY more Coyote Mustangs that are FINE with superchargers than the ones who have seen failures. It is NOT a question of when but if.
Perhaps. But you do realize that oiling is the name of the game on most motors when it comes to longevity. The next most important thing I would say is balance. If a motor is properly lubricated and balanced correctly, it will have the greatest chance of resisting malfunction. I would argue that the OPG's are incredibly weak and need changing. The S550 set for whatever reason appears to be inferior to even the earlier 4.6 cobra's. I've changed a few sets in the modular cobra's i've built over the years and tested them. Even throwing them on the grown never resulted in a break like these do. Just my 2 cents.

Sponsored

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Your quote;

That's fine you are entitled to your opinion as I am mine, there have been many people that said the stock gears are fine then when there is a failure your out a motor. In the end the only one holding the bag is the owner so for me I would rather have the piece of mind and change out the oem gears, IMO the ones that haven't had a problem just got lucky and you know what they say luck it runs out.;)

HaximusPrime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT-PP
That's fine you are entitled to your opinion as I am mine, there have been many people that said the stock gears are fine then when there is a failure your out a motor. In the end the only one holding the bag is the owner so for me I would rather have the piece of mind and change out the oem gears, IMO the ones that haven't had a problem just got lucky and you know what they say luck it runs out.;)
I'm pretty convinced to go ahead with the upgrade. Even with the warranty, it's easier to bite the bullet now than a few years from now.

This is too familiar for me to not. I owned a Saab 92-X (basically WRX) a few years ago , which are known to suffer oil starvation on the bearings. Many suggested "you're fine if you keep an eye on oil level, and don't do 4th gear highway runs". Long story short, I was one of the "unlucky" ones. All of these "you're fine, if..." regarding OPG sounds exactly the same.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I'm pretty convinced to go ahead with the upgrade. Even with the warranty, it's easier to bite the bullet now than a few years from now.

This is too familiar for me to not. I owned a Saab 92-X (basically WRX) a few years ago , which are known to suffer oil starvation on the bearings. Many suggested "you're fine if you keep an eye on oil level, and don't do 4th gear highway runs". Long story short, I was one of the "unlucky" ones. All of these "you're fine, if..." regarding OPG sounds exactly the same.
That's funny don't do 4th gear highway runs, what's the point in having a car if you can run it to rpm in each gear. We spend all this money on making our cars faster and yet they say don't rev it or don't hit the limiter, may as well by a PRIUS :lol:

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
My thought is if you invest the money into a supercharger, you probably plan on having the car for many years and driving it "spiritedly" at the very least. Although the warranty may have you covered for 3 years, I'd imagine most people plan on having the car for much longer than that, thus making the OPG,CS,ATI a solid investment.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
MOTOR PICKS!?

LOL...I wish, but it's coming along. Upgraded parts are in and waiting for the motor which should arrive next Friday. Just got my new lift together and it's now waiting with load leveler to pull the motor. I'll be on a hunting trip for the next week so it will all have to wait. I should be pulling the motor next Sunday and first order of business is to get the heads ready for shipment since they have been sold. I'll then be installing the upgrades and then new SPEC 2 plus clutch and drop the new motor in. If all goes well I might have the motor installed by Wednesday Oct 12.
Arrival picks?
Sponsored