Oil separators / catch cans

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I gave up after 30 seconds and just used side cutters to remove that clip. You blokes either have a lot of patience or some serious OCD hehe.
Hahaha it is the worst!
Sponsored

Bolted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Race Red
Remote mounted UPR Catch Can installed

Installed my remote mounted UPR catch can over the weekend and I have done a quick step by step guide below for anyone interested. The installation process took me about an hour and a half, not because itā€™s difficult to do, but I took it slow to avoid scratching the various plastic surfaces. To be honest I do consider myself to be ā€˜mechanically challengedā€™ at the best of times, so this install shouldnā€™t take more than 30-45 minutes for a ā€˜normalā€™ person.
DSC02758.JPG

Step one: I removed all the push pins from the radiator cover. I used a flathead screw driver to lift the head and then used finger to lift out the pin. The pin is in two pieces, so lift top first, then pull both parts out together. I used a thin piece of plastic wrap (the UPS courier bag can came wrapped in) over screw driver head to avoid scratching the plastic pins and cover.
DSC02768.JPG

Step two: Remove bolt and prop rod. I have hood struts so I did not need the prop rod to hold up bonnet, obviously if you need the prop rod you will need someone to hold open the bonnet while you remove the rod, the radiator cover and then re-install the prop rod.
Once all push pins and prop rod bolt removed, lift off radiator cover.
DSC02761.JPG

Step three: Remove factory bolt and washer using socket and ratchet ā€“ 10mm.
DSC02760.JPG

Step four: Replace the factory bolt with the catch can bracket. Remember to remove the bracket from the catch can before attempting this part of the install.
DSC02762.JPG

DSC02763.jpg

Step five: This is the part that caused me a little trouble. With the bracket in place, the space for the can is quite tight and takes a little manoeuvring to sit it between the bracket and window wiper water reservoir/container. Once you have worked out the right position for the can, attach it back to the bracket using the butterfly screw. Once in place, attach the bottom hose and run it to the intake manifold. Remove the stock hose fitting by lifting engine cover and replace it with the hose leading from catch can. Then attach second hose to top of can and plug the other end into valve cover.
DSC02764.JPG

DSC02765.JPG

DSC02766.jpg

Step 6: Replace radiator cover and secure it with push pins and prop rod bolt.
DSC02767.jpg

Bolted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Race Red
Whats the difference compared to the normal oil separator??
My JLT one works just as good.
I assume your JLT separator is not mounted near the radiator, it just sits on the hoses, correct? This UPR one mounts near the radiator, UPR also make one that sits on the hose, but I personally don't like where they sit, just my personal preference. In terms of quality, I cannot comment as I am not an engineer and this is the first car I have owned that has required an oil separator that a manufacturer hasn't included.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ange
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP, Magnetic Grey
Yes the JLT unit connects between banks.
I have had mine on for 2 weeks and it already has approx 20 - 30mls of oil.
So seems to be doing its job.
I guess they both work and should have been on their as standard.

Thanks for your response:thumbsup:

Sponsored

Egghead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Vehicle Showcase
I've had my JLT oil separator on for over 7 months now and absolutely no problem with the factory hoses sagging at all . It sits in the same place from when I installed it , the hoses are stiff as . I think everyone that has this separator has no issues!!!!

Bolted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Race Red
I've had my JLT oil separator on for over 7 months now and absolutely no problem with the factory hoses sagging at all . It sits in the same place from when I installed it , the hoses are stiff as . I think everyone that has this separator has no issues!!!!
The great thing about having a variety of products to choose from is that you get to choose an item that you prefer. In this case I chose a product that I liked - ie one that was mounted.

I did not claim that the UPR product was better than its competitors, nor did I state that a mounted can causes hoses to sag or that a non mounted can was more likely to fail.

All I said was that the UPR mounted can was the one that I preferred and since I am using my hard earned to buy it, I have a right to choose what I like. Now, if JLT sent me a free oil separator I would have been more than happy to install their product instead. As you say, no one seems to have had an issue with a JLT (or UPR or any other manufacturers) can.

My purchase (and install) was simply based on my preference.

I listed the steps I took to install the can to may be assist anyone who has or is looking at purchasing the same can and is having issues or concerns re the install.

:thumbsup:

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
UPR 2016 catch can ordered.

I'm no engineer but do a lot of research for my consultation business. UPR now has a 4 stage filter I will attach a photo, they are great cans, mine is a hanger.
20160927_085627.jpg

12baller12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ciaran
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Fastback
Vehicle Showcase
I'm no engineer but do a lot of research for my consultation business. UPR now has a 4 stage filter I will attach a photo, they are great cans, mine is a hanger.
Yeah I bought one a few months ago that looks like this one. At the time I asked if it was okay because it looked different to the ones I'd seen on the web store, and was told that they were continually developing and upgrading the design.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bolted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Race Red
It's all good Bolted:thumbsup:
Yes you did a great right up and hopefully it can help others. Either way they are both a good idea. Keep on sharing.:cheers:
Yep all good, I just thought I better clear up my comments as it may have appeared to some that I was insinuating that the cans which sit on the hose are inferior to cans that have a mounting bracket. I chose the product I did simply because that was the one I preferred.

The great thing about this forum is that it provides a lot of product options that I would never have considered or known about, so its important people post ideas, option, install info etc because its super helpful especially to novices like myself.

The only MINOR criticism I have is of posts which suggest a particular product is superior to another without proper evidence to back it up. That is, unless an independent study has been performed which has stability tested and compared all the products available, the 'facts' provided are only personal experience and preference, which is very helpful but its not conclusive.

:thumbsup:

Bolted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Race Red
Re UPR Catch Can - bracket

For those installing the mounted catch can, the one item that stumped me for a while was the size of the new bracket. When you compare it to the UPR installation guide it appears to be significantly longer. The can will still fit with this new bracket it just needs a bit of maneuvering.

New bracket pictured on right, previous bracket and featured in UPR guide pictured on the left.
UPR old v new bracket.jpg

Kramer82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2017 MT Magnetic with OTT Stripes
Just pulled out 10ml at only 1000km. Yikes!

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I just changed my Pennzoil synthetic "made from natural gas" 5w30 and had a 1/5 of a container of oil in my UPR catch can. The pony had gone 5,895 miles since I changed the "break-in" oil out for the synthetic. The oil life meter showed 45% life left. I really like the new Ford Racing FL820 oil filter which has a greater capacity for oil as it is a larger filter than the Purolator One filter it replaced. I've got to find a different retailer as the dealer wants $19.50 including tax per unit.

Sturty91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Manual
As a noob knowing I need a catch can for when my stang arrives, can someone point me in the right direction for one that's easy to install and will do the Job. Cheers!
Sponsored