Oil Pressure Fluctuation on Acceleration

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Yeah the needle fluctuates back and forth as the RPMs rise when I'm not really hard on the throttle. Like the needle rises as expected when acceleration starts, but once it hits ~100+psi, I can see the needle drop slightly, then rise back up, etc. Getting harder into the throttle seems to steady it at around 100psi.

Could this be the relief valve in the pump? Pressure rises enough to open the spring a bit, it drops slightly as the relief opens, rises as it closes, etc etc.
I've never seen that on any of my 350s. Where you begin the troubleshooting is up to you. By chance did you buy an extended warranty?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Nichiari2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I've never seen that on any of my 350s. Where you begin the troubleshooting is up to you. By chance did you buy an extended warranty?
I do have an extended warranty, actually took her to Ford on Friday, they checked everything over and drove her. They said that it was normal.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I do have an extended warranty, actually took her to Ford on Friday, they checked everything over and drove her. They said that it was normal.
Take a video and post it to you tube. Link it here. Thanks

OP
OP

Nichiari2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I have a video of the gauge under a steady load from a while back. The video shows it fluttering between 70-75psi. So it's not exactly the same thing, but the same flutter happens under light throttle around 100psi. I spoke with the service manager when I brought her in. He explained it as the pressure relief spring in the pump. I think I'll take the advice that was given on this thread and not be so neurotic

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
None of my cars have ever done that. If it's under warranty, have them fix it. I'd escalate the matter.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Anyone else have this going on in their car? I'd like to see the video. I don't think it's normal, spring or whatever excuse is given.

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
I have a video of the gauge under a steady load from a while back. The video shows it fluttering between 70-75psi. So it's not exactly the same thing, but the same flutter happens under light throttle around 100psi. I spoke with the service manager when I brought her in. He explained it as the pressure relief spring in the pump. I think I'll take the advice that was given on this thread and not be so neurotic
Does yours use the older spin-on style filter or cartridge filter? Just wondering about that being a potential variable. My 2016 (spin-on) filter does seem to have some oil pressure fluctuation at steady throttle. Idles around 35 psi hot (rock solid), varies with RPM as it should, but at light, consistent throttle it bounces a little. Just thinking maybe the bypass valve in the spin-ons might act different than the cartridge filters.

Although, I always thought those operated at 15 to 20 psi differential across the filter - and why would you have that much differential at a constant rpm and pump volume/pressure? I don't know. But mine hasn't showed any detrimental impacts yet (fingeres crossed).
Sponsored