Oil Catch Cans - Pros and Cons

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
My two cents, I had the JTL, and hated that the catch can was basically suspended by the plastic piece coming out of the valve cover. To me it looked like there was potential to crack those pieces. I went with a remote mounted one instead from AAD. But really any catch can that is physically mounted somewhere on the car would be better than then JTL.
J&L has a really good remote mount option too, that's what I picked up. I don't like those ones either that just hang off the PCV and intake ports.
Sponsored

Rhyanski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 #M5810, 2018 Mazda CX-5 Ultimate
After 10 000KM (6200miles) on the passenger side without tracking with some spirited driving somewhere around 50-80ml was caught in the ford performance catch can. As far as I know, the driver side catch can shall be installed when focus is on tracking, but not on commute / daily driving. So it works, whether it's worth the money - debatable.

20230413_160350.jpg

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Hello all,

been reading up a bit on catch cans for my 18’ GT350, and i keep getting a concerning mix of opinions. i see people swearing by them and then also hearing about blowing up engines because a seal broke.

Thoughts and experiences??
I always say that a decent catch can is a great investment. Keeps your intake manifold and air intake tube clean. We sell many different catch cans here at www.lethalperformamnce.com! Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions about either. https://www.lethalperformance.com/s...9-shelby-gt350-ford/engine/oil-separators?p=1

dsiggi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
FWIW, I'm personally a fan of the Ford Performance Separators and not of anything aluminum or metal. Heres why. The composite in the FP models will not cause condensation. What does metal do, if you run in cold, heat it and cool it again at a low ambiet temperature? You get condensation, this then helps to fill up the catch can faster with some level of water and then boom it can suck into the intake.

If you don't live in a cold climate or drive your car in winter this probably doesn't matter, but something to be mindful of.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
FWIW, I'm personally a fan of the Ford Performance Separators and not of anything aluminum or metal. Heres why. The composite in the FP models will not cause condensation. What does metal do, if you run in cold, heat it and cool it again at a low ambiet temperature? You get condensation, this then helps to fill up the catch can faster with some level of water and then boom it can suck into the intake.

If you don't live in a cold climate or drive your car in winter this probably doesn't matter, but something to be mindful of.
I don't think that's completely accurate though. While the can itself is composite, the filter screen that the air has to pass through is metal. I always thought the main reason the FP can doesn't collect a whole lot of fuel/water is because of its proximity to the engine. If it does collect any (which I would be very surprised if it doesn't), it will evaporate and be ingested in the engine, leaving the oil behind. Even metal cans like the J&L and UPR that mount in that spot will probably do the same thing. Remote mount cans are a different story, since they won't get as hot which allows them to do more separating, and collect more water condensation.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I installed a J&L catch can the day I brought the car home, operated Skye with temps in the 20F / -6C range. While it has only been one full season, I've yet to encounter moisture of any kind. The can is the type sitting in the immediate vicinity of the cylinder head.

dsiggi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I don't think that's completely accurate though. While the can itself is composite, the filter screen that the air has to pass through is metal. I always thought the main reason the FP can doesn't collect a whole lot of fuel/water is because of its proximity to the engine. If it does collect any (which I would be very surprised if it doesn't), it will evaporate and be ingested in the engine, leaving the oil behind. Even metal cans like the J&L and UPR that mount in that spot will probably do the same thing. Remote mount cans are a different story, since they won't get as hot which allows them to do more separating, and collect more water condensation.
Also contributing to the FP catch can is it is as close to OEM as your going to get. It was designed by a close colleague of a personal friend that worked on the GT350R-C Race program. The design is good and its made by an aftermarket arm of a Major OEM. SOLD!

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

COBRAFREAK1996

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Mine came with left and right JLTs. I've gotten a little out of the passenger side but the driver side doesn't even have a hint of residue on it which I find odd.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Mine came with left and right JLTs. I've gotten a little out of the passenger side but the driver side doesn't even have a hint of residue on it which I find odd.
Nope, it makes perfect sense. That connection is upstream of the throttle body. It’s outside the crankcase, so there’s practically no vacuum on it.

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible

The source of the condensate is the moisture from combustion. Without the catch can it would have been recirculated back into the combustion chamber. With the catch can it might get trapped but that probably has little or no benefit. It's not like we worry about driving on humid days or in the rain.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The source of the condensate is the moisture from combustion. Without the catch can it would have been recirculated back into the combustion chamber. With the catch can it might get trapped but that probably has little or no benefit. It's not like we worry about driving on humid days or in the rain.
Oh of course, my only point with that was that condensation is less likely to still be in the can when you check, at least with those that mount closer to the engine.
Sponsored