Sponsored

Oil catch can melting insulation of the tube beneath it

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I swear I saw thread on this months ago and I swear I searched for it...

UPR Oil Catch Can (5028-98-SC) seems to be melting insulation of the tube that is directly beneath it. Is there any solution to this other than remote mount or a different catch can (like the single valve one) ?

Beside that, it seems to be working perfectly, had some decent amount of oil in it after ~2,000 miles.
Sponsored

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
hmm, is the 5028-98-SC a slightly older part number? I got mine in January this year and it's p/n 5028-98-1-SC. I wonder if there's a difference where they heat shielded the bottom a bit better or if it's actually the same thing.

If not, I'd think some insulating or heat reflective tape around the hose underneath should do the trick. I'll have to take a look at my hose, I need to empty that can out today anyway.

OP
OP
kz

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
hmm, is the 5028-98-SC a slightly older part number? I got mine in January this year and it's p/n 5028-98-1-SC. I wonder if there's a difference where they heat shielded the bottom a bit better or if it's actually the same thing.

If not, I'd think some insulating or heat reflective tape around the hose underneath should do the trick. I'll have to take a look at my hose, I need to empty that can out today anyway.
I ordered this exactly - http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-billet-plug-n-play-catch-can-separator-15-sc.html - and that's what I have. I think it's just getting heated up by overall heat generated by the engine, I'm sure it's not the little bit of oil in it. I noticed it when I decided to empty it for the first time.

Nihil

Cowabunga
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Grey Goop
put a beer koozy around it to hold the heat in the can.

Blackdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
I swear I saw thread on this months ago and I swear I searched for it...

UPR Oil Catch Can (5028-98-SC) seems to be melting insulation of the tube that is directly beneath it. Is there any solution to this other than remote mount or a different catch can (like the single valve one) ?

Beside that, it seems to be working perfectly, had some decent amount of oil in it after ~2,000 miles.
What line(s) is the catch can melting? Just curious. I have the same UPR catch can. The only thing I noticed is that the hoses coming off the catch can are in direct contact with the insulated wires and vacuum line under the engine cover and it was starting to abrade the covering that protects the wires and lines. This UPR catch can setup is unsupported and exerts a very slight pressure on whatever it is siting on. In my case not the actual catch can but the hoses coming off the catch can sitting on the covered wires and vacuum line.

Is the Catch can abrading/rubbing or melting the insulation that you mentioned?

In my case I used some additional wire/conduit wrap around the vacuum lines and wires that it comes in contact with for some additional protection.

Rich

Sponsored

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
I ordered this exactly - http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-billet-plug-n-play-catch-can-separator-15-sc.html - and that's what I have. I think it's just getting heated up by overall heat generated by the engine, I'm sure it's not the little bit of oil in it. I noticed it when I decided to empty it for the first time.
Ahh ok, the "1" in my part number is just cause I got the black one. I'll definitely have to look tonight when/if I remember to drain mine.

Can you pop the can off again real quick and take a pic of the slight melting?

put a beer koozy around it to hold the heat in the can.
Perfect! :lol: