Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

dddd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR6T
My guess would be no. There are those who would prefer the softer ride of the non-PP. We're still mostly in the dark, but the press releases do say "On all models, new shock absorbers make for better ride control, a new cross-axis joint in the rear suspension leads to increased lateral stiffness, and innovative stabilizer bars bring sharper response and handling."

So my guess is that Ford has addressed some of the chassis/suspension complaints of the 15-17 (wheel hop?) in the base, but the base will probably be softer than the PP. The PP (hopefully) will be comparable to the 1LE complete with magnaride, but that might be PP2.
Anyone got an idea on what they mean by "innovative stabilizer bars" ??
I'm guessing we can rule out active sway bars, perhaps they are introducing hollow sway bars
Sponsored

Pablo GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cayman S
Can you explain or are you just spitballing? I don't think you can make that assumption but I'm not an engineer...

Of course it CAN be done but so far, this has been $100k+ Cars only. Someone with a calculator and some free time could tell us what compression/RPM/thermal efficiency you would need...from there we could guess about how feasible this really is for a mass production car in 2018.

Keep in mind that higher revs means more waste energy...which means poorer fuel economy. The EPA requirements don't favor the kind of NA engine that you'd need to make that peak power. And while a 10spd transmission would help, engines set up to run like this will need to be revved a lot more than lower RPM peak power motors, TiVCT or not.
The analogy to what a turbo can do is not applicable with NA. With everything now fairly optimized with the 2018 5.0 NA, in order to get more than 470hp you simply have to rev higher. Any any higher gets you into Voodoo territory.

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
Anyone got an idea on what they mean by "innovative stabilizer bars" ??
I'm guessing we can rule out active sway bars, perhaps they are introducing hollow sway bars
Sway bars are already hollow.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
If Ford can get 400 HP & 400 TQ out of a 3.0 EB I'm sure they can squeeze close to
500 HP out of a DI NA 5.0.
I'm no drive-train engineer but I have confidence that Ford can do what I stated in my earlier post.
Post 3067?

Spitballing then. Like the rest of us :)

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The analogy to what a turbo can do is not applicable with NA. With everything now fairly optimized with the 2018 5.0 NA, in order to get more than 470hp you simply have to rev higher. Any any higher gets you into Voodoo territory.
Yep. That's exactly what I was thinking.

Sponsored

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
I'm hoping for an overall package that equals or betters the 1LE at equal or lower price. That is a pretty sweet package if you can get past the fact that it's in a Camaro.

Yea, I know, Mustang's have been outselling the Camaro and it has been argued that Ford doesn't "need" to beat Chevy to keep winning in sales. However, that is the attitude that will in the end result in losing sales. The automotive industry is very competitive and buyers are fickle. Ford knows the 1LE exists and has to be targeting it.

I'm not a Camaro hater, but they just don't do it for me.
I am not in disagreement that it would be cool for the Mustang to beat the Camaro in all out performance, but I just do not see it happening. This is not enough of a refresh to catch up, unless the direct injection gives a huge bump to low end torque. I also do not think it is necessary for the Mustang to beat all of the Camaro models in all of the performance categories, it is a far superior car outside of that so it just needs to be close and it will win in sales.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I am not in disagreement that it would be cool for the Mustang to beat the Camaro in all out performance, but I just do not see it happening. This is not enough of a refresh to catch up, unless the direct injection gives a huge bump to low end torque. I also do not think it is necessary for the Mustang to beat all of the Camaro models in all of the performance categories, it is a far superior car outside of that so it just needs to be close and it will win in sales.
Agreed, they don't need to beat Camaro in all performance areas, but they have to be close, and maybe beat them in a couple. If Ford doesn't come up with a package that is close to 1LE performance/value, one might accuse them of resting on their laurels, or sales figures as the case may be. You don't stay on top of the sales pile by saying "meh, good enough."

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Last time I check too, the Mustang is still cheaper than a red neck chariot. If they added a couple grand to the tag, I am sure they could squeeze more juice out of the 5.0. The cheapest 1SS in my area is going for 39k meanwhile a GT you can get for 31-32k and add the PP 34k. We're talking 5-7k difference which is huge.

Of course there is always the performance packs, but I would prefer not to fill up with premo fuel with a 19 MPG avg car.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Found two more pics of the export model shown in Shanghai. I think the clear reflectors in the headlights look really good, way better than the orange ones in the US model :headbang:
J1AJ69.jpg
J1AJ66.jpg

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Thanks for those. I agree, the clear reflectors look good.

Where did you get your profile and sig pictures from? I don't recall seeing those posted anywhere else......or have you photoshopped them? :)

Edit - ignore my last comment.....I've just seen your other thread. Good work :)

Sponsored

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm with you it can be done. You'd need a better intake. Factory installed long tube headers. A lot of engine tuning. Nothing exotic.
The current cars come with a shorty header already, no?
I can't think of any production cars that have ever come with full long tube headers...maybe the Demon will?

The tuning thing is where I think this doesn't necessarily add up. Ford has to warranty these engines. The kinds of aftermarket tunes that add any significant horsepressure are the ones that either depend on the owner always running high octane fuel or the tunes dip into the margin of safety built into these engines. They may have a higher threshold for knock sensor sensitivity or they may tolerate leaner AFR. Ford can't do that.

How much is a cold air intake really worth these days? Earlier in the Coyote's reign, a CAI and a tune on a stock engine were worth ~25hp or so. A tune alone was worth ~22hp. The stock intake was pretty darned good, as it turned out. I don't know if that has changed and I suspect the 2018 car will have an even more optimized intake since Ford is obviously doing their homework.

Last time I check too, the Mustang is still cheaper than a red neck chariot. If they added a couple grand to the tag, I am sure they could squeeze more juice out of the 5.0. The cheapest 1SS in my area is going for 39k meanwhile a GT you can get for 31-32k and add the PP 34k. We're talking 5-7k difference which is huge.

Of course there is always the performance packs, but I would prefer not to fill up with premo fuel with a 19 MPG avg car.
So you're ok with them adding a couple thousand of dollars to the price tag but you don't want to spend $.20/gallon more for better performance?

To make up that difference, you'll have to buy 10,000 gallons of gas, which should be about 190,000 miles if you're right about that fuel economy. :headbonk:

FWIW, The Camaro SS is rated (slightly) better for fuel economy...someone keeping a car that long could call the difference a wash and the Mustang's price advantage is gone. :D

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
More spitballing here, but I think there's something to these rumblings about the new 7.0L V8 truck motor going into the Mustang. I remember reading somewhere that they committed to the union to increase production of the motor already even though it's not even in the trucks yet.

Maybe Ford will do something similar to what Dodge does with the Challenger as far as engine levels go? Have a lower hp V8, the 5.0 since it looks like that motor will never break 500hp from the factory. And then have this 7.0L V8 as a mid-tier Boss 429 that stays NA but does a healthy ~600hp or so. Then have the Cobra or whatever they call it with the supercharged or turbo'd motor for 700+hp.

Reactions: 113

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
More spitballing here, but I think there's something to these rumblings about the new 7.0L V8 truck motor going into the Mustang. I remember reading somewhere that they committed to the union to increase production of the motor already even though it's not even in the trucks yet.

Maybe Ford will do something similar to what Dodge does with the Challenger as far as engine levels go? Have a lower hp V8, the 5.0 since it looks like that motor will never break 500hp from the factory. And then have this 7.0L V8 as a mid-tier Boss 429 that stays NA but does a healthy ~600hp or so. Then have the Cobra or whatever they call it with the supercharged or turbo'd motor for 700+hp.
This would be a dream come true.
Don't get me wrong, I love quick revving small block engines...but imagine that tech with 40% more displacement.

:censored:

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
This would be a dream come true.
Don't get me wrong, I love quick revving small block engines...but imagine that tech with 40% more displacement.

:censored:
Sad that at times in the past year or so, you could get 20% off a camaro with a 6.2, but a mustang with a 7.0 will probably be close to 100 grand.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Sad that at times in the past year or so, you could get 20% off a camaro with a 6.2, but a mustang with a 7.0 will probably be close to 100 grand.
The Camaro also isn't a DOHC engine.
Sponsored