Sponsored

Of mice and batteries...

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I haven't driven my '20 GT500 much in the past few years. Health challenges, endless shit weather, family matters, you name it. I store it inside and it is always on a trickle charger. And as well sealed as it is, every now and then a mouse migrates inside. After having mice build a nest on the intake manifold of a truck I had which caught fire and nearly burned to the ground, I'm somewhat vigilant about it. I've used every trap made and now stick to glue traps. I feel sorry for the little bastards when their life is shortened because of them but I am reminded of the serious damage they can cause. Anyhow, suffice it to say I always have a few traps strategically placed with a dab of peanut butter so they can at least go out with a smile.

So yesterday was the day I planned on firing up the car (first time since last September) and pulling it out to change registration stickers and have a good look at it. As soon as I pull it out I have to go back into my shop to pick up some of the traps I keep under the car so that my dog doesn't put her nose into them. Sure enough, there be a peanut butter aficionado. RIP you little son of a bitch, no harness eating for you!

20240515_152236.jpg

So I go out to the car, pop the hood, and wtf is this? I connect the charger with a lead to the positive battery terminal and the negative to a ground on the car and not the negative battery terminal so the battery management system stays happy. Living a lifetime in the northeast, battery terminal corrosion isn't something I haven't seen plenty of times before. But I'm not having that on this car.

20240515_155320.jpg

The white/black "powder" was a rather hard crust that took some effort to chip away. I'm thankful that Ford made the terminal clamp separate from the cable and decided to disassemble the clamp, clean it up, and reinstall.

20240515_161255.jpg

20240515_161246.jpg

I scraped the connector and used a wire brush to remove as much as I could and then paced everything in a mini-vat of metal prep.

20240515_163210.jpg

20240515_170211.jpg

After about 15 minutes everything was cleaned up and I could rinse and reassemble.

20240515_173925.jpg

20240515_183129.jpg

20240515_183407.jpg

20240515_183611.jpg

I talked to my Ford Parts guru about this and he noted that the clamp "assembly" was available so I had him order me a replacement as well as some of the terminal protectant that dealers use. I'm also going to check the other end of the cable to see if there any shenanigans going on there as well. Can't have enough of good, clean grounds. And that mouse...funeral was yesterday and in his honor I placed a fresh trap in case any of his family members are eager to join him.

On to the next obstacle...
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I bought the clamp assembly off Amazon - had the exact same thing happen. Btw- if you put that clamp in baking soda, it's very effective cleaning method and very satisfying to watch....

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I've had better than average results using several Tomcat brand bait stations along the inside perimeter of a couple of buildings on my property that aren't well sealed (or the doors on which are frequently open), including the attached garage where the daily drivers live. Of course, you run the risk of a mouse with a lethal dose getting into something, dying, and stinking, but I have yet to have that happen. The bait stations make the little bastards crawl in and eat on the spot, versus hauling pellet poison around and stashing it everywhere before meeting their demise.

Thankfully my shop is sealed up well enough that I've never seen any sign of rodentia inside in the 20 years the building has been there, knock on wood. Since it's climate controlled, it should be a desirable haven, but I'm happy that it's not.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I hear you on the rodents. Theyā€™re such a pain. We have them outside, voles to be specific, and theyā€™re constantly leaving little trails in my yard and some of my flower beds. Have tried everything to get rid of them in the 8 years since we built our house. Pest control companies, DIY stuff, etc. Find plenty of deceased ones around the yard yet they still seem to multiply. Mā€™fers.

Thatā€™s pretty bad on the battery terminal, havenā€™t seen one like that in a while. The corrosion prevention stuff the dealers use is pretty good. My wifeā€™s battery just died a few weeks ago and GM makes it pretty much impossible to DIY on the newer cars. Anyway, when I had the hood open to jump it to get it to the dealership, the terminals were practically spotless. There was a little bit but not much. Dealer installed that battery so the stuff works.

Not to totally derail here, but howā€™s the Braptor coming along? I keep meaning to take pics of the one I see at my daughterā€™s school but I always seem to forget. Itā€™s Cactus Gray (Fighter Jet Gray on the Mach 1), looks good with the HUGE fender guards.

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not to totally derail here, but howā€™s the Braptor coming along?
Build week is 5/20 and dealer says that build "day" is 5/24. Window sticker will supposedly populate one week before build day, so it should show up tomorrow. Excited about it and have been collecting parts for upgrades for some time now. Can't wait.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Build week is 5/20 and dealer says that build "day" is 5/24. Window sticker will supposedly populate one week before build day, so it should show up tomorrow. Excited about it and have been collecting parts for upgrades for some time now. Can't wait.
Awesome, the wait is almost over!

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
Mice got my tractor harness and my F150 harness, until we installed theseā€¦

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CRKPQ8P...s=hpc&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw&th=1

ā€¦they wire right to the car battery, or work on AA batteries if you prefer. They also have a sensor that turns them off when you start the car, and back on when you shut it down.

so far, between them and Bounce sheets under the seats havenā€™t seen a single rodent track since the afore mentioned debacle šŸ˜‰

IMG_3507.jpeg

EDITā€¦photo added for those that donā€™t wanna click links šŸ˜¬

Last edited:
OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've tried all of them except the ultra sonic stuff. Everything worked in some capacity, it was just a matter of how much gore you preferred upon discovering the bodies.

I put a plate of poison on the passenger seat of my '90 LX HO and would look through the window every day to see if any nibbles had been taken. Then one day it was gone, all of it. I opened the door and looked everywhere but found nothing. So I looked in the trunk, nothing. Until I lifted up the cover on the spare tire...I had placed a rag on top of the spare to clean my hands with in the event of a flat. The mice had carried all the poison to the top of the rag and then feasted on it. Bodies were everywhere, a really ugly crime scene.

I had seen evidence of mice on the carpet of a 1967 Cougar I used to have. So I bought this "cage" at Central Tractor that you wind up. When a mouse enters the single, oblong hole on the side and steps on the spring loaded pad inside, it spanks them into an area they cannot escape from. Each day after getting home from work I would look at the trap. I could see through it. It was always empty and I was beginning to wonder if the product was a farce. Until one day I couldn't see through it. I slid it out from under the car with a hockey stick and sweet baby Jesus was it ever hard to look at. There were 7 carcasses inside. They had mauled each other to death. Call me naive but I though they would just hang out together. I thought one of them would reign supreme. Nope - total bloodbath.

Last year I caught an entire family on one glue trap. I frisbeed them into them woods next door after saying a short prayer. They were living inside our outdoor grille - eff that noise.

I bought the clamp assembly off Amazon - had the exact same thing happen. Btw- if you put that clamp in baking soda, it's very effective cleaning method and very satisfying to watch....
I believe this to be the exact clamp, Royal Die and Stamping Company.
https://www.amazon.com/BT4Z-14450-B...43-b24f-c210e253b242&pd_rd_i=B07KDVYFWN&psc=1

Note the black pieces in the above part, I believe that's where trouble initiated. I think I'd get this version instead where they look to be plated instead. Same patent number, same manufacturer. I don't see the slots in it though for the large, blacks plastic piece though that ensures proper orientation for the assembly line workers.
https://www.amazon.com/BT4Z-14450-BA-NEGATIVE-Battery-Terminal-Explorer/dp/B07PVX1K2N

Last edited:

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Well done. I hate those bastards, they are cute for about 1 second. Then I get reminded of POS they are for destroying everything and shitting all over.

What I have noticed works is having a variety of different traps. Different spring loaded ones and some glue traps. Some scape the glue trap but then one of the spring load types gets them. And yes Peanut butter still works like a charm lol

Sponsored
OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well done WD!

GregO said:
The corrosion is caused by the battery off gassing around the posts. Some battery posts are sealed better than others, itā€™s the luck of the draw.
Iā€™ve abandoned all flooded batteries in place of AGM and I swear by this;
I just ordered both, thanks for the heads up Greg!

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
We have those little ā€¦erā€™s here to and ther big brothers the pack rats. I use straight poison and bait stations these days. Luckily I donā€˜t have issueā€™s inside but outside takes some dilligence for my equipment. Iā€™be always kept my terminals pretty clean. Others have mentioned the other alternatives, but being a gc I always have noalox in my service truck, works well for terminals to.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
@Epiphany
The corrosion is caused by the battery off gassing around the posts. Some battery posts are sealed better than others, itā€™s the luck of the draw.
Iā€™ve abandoned all flooded batteries in place of AGM and I swear by this;

IMG_3800.jpeg
IMG_3801.jpeg
I've also seen it caused by overtightening of the terminal onto the post. Not even user error necessarily. Sometimes just factory gorilla mode lol.