Sponsored

Novice Detailer

H44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium DIB
Hey there! So I recently purchased a used 2016 DIB Ecoboost Premium with silver stripes, and the paint is not in the best condition. There are moderate swirl marks, and quite a few visible mars and scratches, as well as some rock chips in the front.

So here's what I have:
Clay bar
Ultimate Compound
Ultimate Polish
Ultimate Wax
Hybrid Wax Sealant
Buffer with 6 inch yellow foam pads

So my question is what order should I use these in, and should I use the compound or just the polish? I read that the compound is more abrasive then the polish, but I need to get rid of these swirl marks all over the car! This will be my first time polishing with a buffer, so I want to make sure I get everything right. Any tips for a novice like myself would be greatly appreciated. Also should I tape off the vinyl stripes when polishing?

Thanks so much!
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
The only thing I can say since I've never done anything but did look into it at one point, is that you should go with the least abrasive solution first to see if works. If it doesn't, move up a level. So try the polish on one panel and if it isn't enough, try the compound instead.

Reactions: H44
OP
OP

H44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks I'll definitely try that

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
First ....so glad you are trying this yourself. It's so rewarding when they ask.."who did the polish" ? And you say "I did it myself.

Hope you have a dual action polisher. I'm sure the other more professional guys will chime in but I did it this way...

Wash/dry...clay...used the least abrasive polish (Menzurna 3800) try a more inconspicuous area first..ie: not the hood!! Until you get the knack. Use a speed of 5 or even 5 on the buffer, stay away from pressure on any edges. Lots of videos to see first.....then wax, then a sealant? I skipped the wax in favor of CQuartz UK Ceramic Coation followed by a Reload application the next day. It actually is a layer of glass that leaves the car shining ...well...like glass. Man does it pop. Buy some good quality micro fibre polishing cloths...lots.

Good luck and watch a few of the DIY videos until you feel comfortable. What compound did you buy?? Or have you? Hope it's not too agressive? Good luck.

Oh...and do it all in your garage or at least full shade.

Check out my build thread and video.

OP
OP

H44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First ....so glad you are trying this yourself. It's so rewarding when they ask.."who did the polish" ? And you say "I did it myself.

Hope you have a dual action polisher. I'm sure the other more professional guys will chime in but I did it this way...

Wash/dry...clay...used the least abrasive polish (Menzurna 3800) try a more inconspicuous area first..ie: not the hood!! Until you get the knack. Use a speed of 5 or even 5 on the buffer, stay away from pressure on any edges. Lots of videos to see first.....then wax, then a sealant? I skipped the wax in favor of CQuartz UK Ceramic Coation followed by a Reload application the next day. It actually is a layer of glass that leaves the car shining ...well...like glass. Man does it pop. Buy some good quality micro fibre polishing cloths...lots.

Good luck and watch a few of the DIY videos until you feel comfortable. What compound did you buy?? Or have you? Hope it's not too agressive? Good luck.

Oh...and do it all in your garage or at least full shade.

Check out my build thread and video.
Thanks! Yeah I have a porter cable DA and I just have some meguairs ultimate compound/ polish; I know there are much better products out there, but I'm trying to be safe as a novice! Thanks a lot for the advice, I'll be sure to integrate it in my future detailing. :)

Sponsored

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
Seem like you have the right tools. Make sure the paint is clean clean clean. Do not push on the polisher not even a little bit. Let it do the work, even if the big scratch is almost gone.

Synyster06Gates

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I'd go for the Meguiars Pro line (M105/205) rather than the ultimate compound/polish. The polish has a filler that will make swirls appear to be gone when they really aren't.

You want to start with the least aggressive setup and work up until the swirls are gone.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Wash/dry...clay...used the least abrasive polish (Menzurna 3800) try a more inconspicuous area first..ie: not the hood!! Until you get the knack. Use a speed of 5 or even 5 on the buffer, stay away from pressure on any edges. Lots of videos to see first.....then wax, then a sealant?
For that part when I was doing my research it suggested sealant first then wax. You want the more durable layer down first. So if you plan on your sealant lasting 6 months and the wax only 2 months, sealant then wax. Otherwise the wax will start to break down and that'll ruin the sealant on top of it at the same time.

OP
OP

H44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd go for the Meguiars Pro line (M105/205) rather than the ultimate compound/polish. The polish has a filler that will make swirls appear to be gone when they really aren't.

You want to start with the least aggressive setup and work up until the swirls are gone.
Thanks for the suggestion! Just ordered the 105 and 205 and returned the ultimate.

OP
OP

H44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For that part when I was doing my research it suggested sealant first then wax. You want the more durable layer down first. So if you plan on your sealant lasting 6 months and the wax only 2 months, sealant then wax. Otherwise the wax will start to break down and that'll ruin the sealant on top of it at the same time.
Yeah I was told to put the sealant first then wax so you can just add more wax over the sealant when it breaks down. Sounds good to me!

Sponsored

Dmacs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Looks like you have a good plan of attack so far. Like someone said earlier try start with the least abrasive step first and go from there.

And I also browse the Autogeek/Meguiars forums for detailing tips and tricks! There is also the youtube "Ammo NYC" who has a ton of detailing videos that will help you out as well. Have fun!

OP
OP

H44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like you have a good plan of attack so far. Like someone said earlier try start with the least abrasive step first and go from there.

And I also browse the Autogeek/Meguiars forums for detailing tips and tricks! There is also the youtube "Ammo NYC" who has a ton of detailing videos that will help you out as well. Have fun!
Thanks! I've been watching some of Junkman2000's videos, which have been really noob-friendly and informative for me.

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Sealant then wax. Make sure you give the sealant enough time to cure before waxing, just read the label but usually it is around 24 hours.
Sponsored

Reactions: H44