GT_Roadcourse_Newb

noob@cartech,prefer2drive
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT-PP::2000 Honda s2000::1996 Nissan Maxima
If you are serious about racing, and young! I'd think about a spec miata and save the $ trying to learn in the stang.

Sponsored

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6 performance pack, whipple charged
If you are serious about racing, and young! I'd think about a spec miata and save the $ trying to learn in the stang.
True but that would be a awhile I would need to save up. Not always easy having this beast and needing to make the car payment every month but for sure if I track more and more than I'll invest in something to beat on. Not a miatta though. I hate those cars. Rather have an old school m3 or Subaru.

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
True but that would be a awhile I would need to save up. Not always easy having this beast and needing to make the car payment every month but for sure if I track more and more than I'll invest in something to beat on. Not a miatta though. I hate those cars. Rather have an old school m3 or Subaru.
I can understand that perspective for sure! And you can learn a lot in the Stang for sure. But if on a budget, the supply and cost for that spec is hard to beat. I encourage you to follow your heart on it though and get the race car you want and be happy vs. the one you can afford more easily :)

I have heard however, that it is best to learn cars in the following order (wonder if this will be controversial :) FWD, RWD, AWD...

*edit
Ive heard that learning to ride dirt bikes before cars makes you a really slooooow car driver too.

haha :D can you take a joke Chris? lol

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can understand that perspective for sure! And you can learn a lot in the Stang for sure. But if on a budget, the supply and cost for that spec is hard to beat. I encourage you to follow your heart on it though and get the race car you want and be happy vs. the one you can afford more easily :)

I have heard however, that it is best to learn cars in the following order (wonder if this will be controversial :) FWD, RWD, AWD...
I've blew my fair share of front wheel drive transmissions. Lol had a gti 16v do hc jetta was pretty fun front wheel drive. Definitely like rear wheel drive better. Never got to race an awd yet though. I hear ya about Alot more expensive to fix up the stang but we will see. For now it's my daily so wouldn't be a full track car anytime soon either. Maybe one more track day this year and we will go from there.

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
I've blew my fair share of front wheel drive transmissions. Lol had a gti 16v do hc jetta was pretty fun front wheel drive. Definitely like rear wheel drive better. Never got to race an awd yet though. I hear ya about Alot more expensive to fix up the stang but we will see. For now it's my daily so wouldn't be a full track car anytime soon either. Maybe one more track day this year and we will go from there.
Sorry bro, sounds like I didnt give you enough cred because of first time at track thing lol... :)

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry bro, sounds like I didnt give you enough cred because of first time at track thing lol... :)
LOL been strret racing and drag racing awhile before i got the bug for this. I like it alot more and keeps me out of trouble cause it's on the track. Plus I got tired of going fast in a straight line. I want to go fast around the corners. :) I know I have lots of room for improvement but dam was fun. Would love to make this car my track car but you are right I don't want to beat it up to much. Lol. Once I have a nice truck it's on like donkey Kong for this car.

How many track days you hit a year?

Sponsored

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
LOL been strret racing and drag racing awhile before i got the bug for this. I like it alot more and keeps me out of trouble cause it's on the track. Plus I got tired of going fast in a straight line. I want to go fast around the corners. :) I know I have lots of room for improvement but dam was fun. Would love to make this car my track car but you are right I don't want to beat it up to much. Lol. Once I have a nice truck it's on like donkey Kong for this car.

How many track days you hit a year?
Nice, maybe eventually I can give a few tips on roadcourse and I could use some on getting a decent 1/4 mile time. (only tried once 15 years ago in the Maxi, of all cars :) lower 14's at least..)

Never used launch control, kind of nervous about screwing it up haha

As for # of track days per year - a good year would be like 15. A bad year zilch :)
Personally, I started out doing autocross about 2002-ish if memory serves. Excellent way to learn extreme control situations in prep for HPDE, but once that's done I agree with others that you can't beat the $/fun of HPDE.

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice, maybe eventually I can give a few tips on roadcourse and I could use some on getting a decent 1/4 mile time. (only tried once 15 years ago in the Maxi, of all cars :) lower 14's at least..)

Never used launch control, kind of nervous about screwing it up haha

As for # of track days per year - a good year would be like 15. A bad year zilch :)
Personally, I started out doing autocross about 2002-ish if memory serves. Excellent way to learn extreme control situations in prep for HPDE, but once that's done I agree with others that you can't beat the $/fun of HPDE.

Heck yea I will take all the help and training I can get. I would like to also ride alone a few laps. For sure have to hit laguna seca and register for the instructor. It's about 350 to 400 for that isn't it?

That's bad ass so you guys have way more experience than me. Lol I'm 29 but did alot of dragging never some real road courses like I'm not getting into. Autocross is definitely something I want to do as well.

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
I'm pretty sure I can take passengers with NCRC... If you want to see the course from my car's perspective at Laguna bro! :cheers:

I think there may not be a novice class on their Aug 1st event, unfortunately.

*EDIT they have not filled for this event - driver's school at T-hill for only $169 Aug 5th. Also planning to be there, with luck
3 mile track! FIVE 20-25 min sessions!!

http://www.ncracing.org/events.php

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm pretty sure I can take passengers with NCRC... If you want to see the course from my car's perspective at Laguna bro! :cheers:

I think there may not be a novice class on their Aug 1st event, unfortunately.
Dam. That would be to soon for me anyway. In the middle of moving to new spot. That would be bad ass though. How many track days would you think is safe to move to upper classes? Or is it just when you feel more comfortable?