Sponsored

New VMP Odin Supercharger - What's this noise?

gt700sc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Hi all,

New to the forum. I have a 2013 GT that was recently supercharged with a VMP Odin kit. Work done by a local reputable coyote-only shop. My only concern was that they put 20w50 oil in whereas I previously ran 5w50. I asked about it and they said they put it in everything. I've put about 2,000 miles on the supercharger and it's less than 3 months old. Was running great, never launched/raced from a dig or WOT in 1st, maybe 5-10 2nd gear WOT pulls and the same 3rd/4th. It just started making this noise on startup at idle today after a couple months problem-free, can anyone tell what it is?

My car friends say bearing or oil-starvation, but I've never heard anything so loud and metallic. Done a ton of logging and everything has looked good except some return-to-idle dips which I believe are throttle-body related.

Thanks in advance for your time and attention.
Sponsored

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
20W50 seems like an unwise choice. Regardless it sounds like the the supercharger has low oil IMO.

Cobra046

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
The back of the water pump pulley is close to a bolt on mine.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Don't run it anymore. 99% sure that's blower, sounds like the rotors are rubbing either the casing or each other (might be a shaft, but has the frequency/pitch of rotors scraping something). 20w-50 is too heavy of an oil unless you're absolutely smashing the car for extended heat soaked sessions, but that has nothing to do with the sound issue.

Sponsored

rolfe.oliver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang GT350 Tribute, 1971 Mustang Mach 1
Yeah, don't run that for another second. Send video to VMP and shop. Keep records of conversations and invoices. If it is a defective blower, then that should be on VMP. If install issue, that *should* be on the shop, but that will be a much harder road.

Cheatham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, Iconic Silver, Perf.Pack. 6 spd
Check the pulleys and there is one of the idler pulleys that is very very close to the casting behind it, most likely a easy fix
Sponsored