Sponsored

New SVT GT350 Mustang (S550) Undresses at Nurburgring (Now With VIDEOS)!

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
I'm not saying you're wrong... But I've read numerous times that both the gt350 and gt350r will have the same power train but different areo package. Kind of like the boss302 LS.
The LS was a street going vehicle, not a race car. GT350'R' signifies actual race car, so for an actual race car at typically $100K I could see a different engine architecture due to limited volumes and no concern for NVH/Liabilities.
Sponsored

FPC GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350... Soon
With regards to your FYI statement I don't have a clue what you're talking about? Btw all of this is strictly speculation. Im sorry I didn't specify that the gt350r could be a suto name for something else. Sorry I wasn't specific. I'm just pointing out that there are possibly two forms of this vehicle that are street legal.

Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
I have to admit that I'm skeptical of a flat crank being offered in the car. In my opinion (and we know what opinions are worth) the drawbacks outweigh the advantages, unless we're perhaps talking all out race car. With a 180 deg crank, you've got all the vibration problems arising from a secondary imbalance, and life is probably going to be quite hard for the center main bearing with both center crank throws lying in the same direction. I would think Ford would be extremely wary of such reliability concerns.

On the flip side, the flat crank will have less rotational inertia and rev faster, all else being equal. Also the induction & exhaust pulses will be evenly spaced, improving breathing somewhat.

But... if Ford was so gung-ho to improve rotational acceleration, why not first look at an aluminum flywheel and a lighter damper (along the lines of the ATI units, say)? Seems to be a much lower risk approach, in my opinion. Compression ratio, tune, better exhaust/intake, etc. can also significantly improve responsiveness. Emissions, warranty, and MPG probably tie Ford's hands somewhat in these latter areas, however.

Rambling comments above. Not saying anyone is wrong; just seems like a high risk approach to me. Will be interesting to see what's finally offered.

FPC GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350... Soon
@Red don't crush dreams about the fpc :D

Btw @Red search the forum member "octane" he seems to work on the power train side of things. He said we should expect 500-525hp and 8500rpm redline.

Sponsored

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
I would expect the 2.7 EcoBoost to show up in the Mustang before the 3.5. It all depends on packaging.

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
With regards to your FYI statement I don't have a clue what you're talking about?
I was referring to a post on the site, not something you said.

I'm just pointing out that there are possibly two forms of this vehicle that are street legal.
That would be very surprising, Ford is working very hard to launch the standard car, FB's and Convert's. They have a full plate. I agree it is possible that in theory they would have two models that could possibly have distinction. If they do anything it may be a minor one like the Boss to the LS.

If they do plan on a base "GT350" that is based on a 300A GT in the $40K price point I'd be all for it, then offer a "premium" based car with carbon brakes/carbon wheels/fancy damping in the $65-70K price point as the statement vehicle. This logically would make sense, and each model would fit in a segment the market is already developed for.

The LS was an extremely rare car, and it did have some exclusive components but IMO it was more just a package car too close to the standard Boss (granted the Boss was just a superb vehicle)

Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
FPC: It'll be interesting (for me) to hear the engineering reasons behind going w/ a flat crank, if they ultimately do. Of course, perhaps we'll never hear the reasons either.

I can easily believe 500 - 525 hp; based on some simple relations and guesstimates for VE, BSFC, etc. I can see 540 +/-. What I can't see is 8500 rpm. The engine just has too much stroke for that rpm leading to piston speeds and accelerations (peak acceleration is at TDC) that are significantly higher than NASCAR and F1. I can see maybe 7750, but if I had to bet, I'd say it'll be 7500 rpm, like the Boss.

Sure, I can see 8500 for a race only application, where warranty does not apply and one realizes that continual, expensive maintenance is necessary to support that RPM during a race weekend/day. Heck, I could see 9000 rpm -- once. :) My opinions, for what little they're worth.

In any event, I too am eager to see/hear more news regarding the GT350. Thanks to jarstang, TN, and others for what we have.

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
If he actually DID drive a Mustang with a Twin Turbo V6, I'd say you're right in thinking that they dropped this little number into it....just for sh#ts and giggles. IMSA/Tudor limits it to about 600 HP in the Daytona Prototype cars, but Roush/Yates has dyno'd it waaaay farther than that!

I still have the hat from the record run last year with Colin Braun at Daytona.
ContiHat.jpg

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Published on Oct 11, 2014
We were at a local car meet on Woodward, and saw this Shelby fly by and we thought it was cool. 5 minutes later, we see it parked accross the street having trouble getting started.

[ame]

Sponsored

Pabo

Hmm so you can see the spokes poking out and they are not the CarbRev wheels it looks like the other ones we saw

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
Hmm so you can see the spokes poking out and they are not the CarbRev wheels it looks like the other ones we saw

35 tire, I can only find 30 series available. Maybe a new tire for this car? The rim lip is different than the other ones, looks like a conventional wheel.