Sponsored

NEVER Factory order a Mustang

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
Huh one post to bitch. Congrats OP! This is clearly a dealership issue and not a Ford one. Sounds like you were put on low priority or dealership didn't have an allocation. I custom ordered my 13 GT from a local dealer and from date I made the order to day in my driveway was 4 weeks.

Shit happens. Man up and wait or find one on the lot.
Sponsored

Mr. Brutus

Mr. Brutus
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brutus
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Ruby
I wanted what I wanted, And found it doing the dealer search. I drove from Columbus OH, to Baltimore, MD to get it (awesome drive). I am not a black wheel fan, and the luster nickle PP wheels were harder to find (and are gone now). There are pros and cons to ordering:

Pros:

• Get EXACTLY what you want
  • Possibly a very unique car
Cons:
  • Waiting with no definitive timelines
  • Deposit tied up
  • Possible depreciating trade involved as one OP mentioned
  • No negotiating leverage on price
  • Locked in, can't play dealers against each other (real deals or not) and just walk away
  • Stuck with a car that comes in with an issue, look at Bullitt's posts, his dream car came in with a large scratch on the passenger side door handle area, that he chose to deal with himself after month's of waiting for his car
There are clearly good an bad dealers, the biggest leverage you have in most US metropolitan areas is the fact that there is another Ford dealer (or Two) within 15 minutes of where you are, they know this, and will concede margin to get the sale from their rival. This can be thousands of dollars, this isn't a custom Bugatti, it is a Mustang,

...just all things to consider

Last edited:

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I wanted what I wanted, And found it doing the dealer search. I drove from Columbus OH, to Baltimore, MD to get it (awesome drive). I am not a black wheel fan, and the luster nickle PP wheels were harder to find (and are gone now). There are pros and cons to ordering:

Pros:

• Get EXACTLY what you want
  • Possibly a very unique car
Cons:
  • Waiting with no definitive timelines
  • Deposit tied up
  • Possible depreciating trade involved as one OP mentioned
  • No negotiating leverage on price
  • Locked in, can't play dealers against each other (real deals or not) and just walk away
  • Stuck with a car that comes in with an issue, look at Bullitt's posts, his dream car came in with a large scratch on the passenger side door handle area, that he chose to deal with himself after month's of waiting for his car
There are clearly good an bad dealers, the biggest leverage you have in most US metropolitan areas is the fact that there is another Ford dealer (or Two) within 15 minutes of where you are, they know this, and will concede margin to get the sale from their rival. This can be thousands of dollars, this isn't a custom Bugatti, it is a Mustang,

...just all things to consider
At least three of your cons really don't hold much water. Deposit is typically only required if it's a very unique order that a dealer may not be able to easily move if you back out. There is always negotiating leverage on an order since the dealer knows it won't be sitting on the lot after delivery. And, you can certainly solicit multiple dealers on a special order. I don't understand the philosophy of waiting to negotiate price until it's delivered. I started with the Costco price of $500 under invoice, and then took bids from four different dealers. Then I took the best deal to my dealer and said beat it. They had two options. They obviously wanted the sell. Signed off on the order and the negotiated price in advance.

TruBlu16GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
'16 Blue GT Base
I ordered mine February 2nd, and it arrived at the dealership March 10th. I thought that was a great turnaround.

No negotiating on price? Really? I must be special then. Sure, your options are limited versus buying off the lot..... but a shrewd negotiator knows how to play the game. If they won't budge off sticker, work 'em on your financing. If they won't budge on either, order from another dealer.

My local dealer wouldn't budge off sticker, and even though I was approved for Ford Financing, they refused to honor it. Told me 8.69% or no car. I told them "No Car!"

I found a dealer who gave me the Costco Discount, happily gave me my 1% Ford Financing, and even took $1000 off the sticker for choosing him over any of the other dealerships in their area.

You just have to remember that dealerships are run by people. Some people are honest, some are not. Try to find the honest ones. My salesman even said to me, he goes: "I'm not making a killing selling this car to you, but the thing is, I'll probably sell 10 next week at sticker. I might lose a little money, but I gain another sale." Turns out, his boss would give bonuses to salespeople who sold so many cars in a month.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I feel bad for you on this. I have bought many new Fords, but only ordered one. My 1982 Mustang GT. Took longer, had several issues including thin paint where Ford had to repaint part of the car. As much as I would like to order just the car I want, I will never do it again. I believe it is best to find a car as close as possible to the one you want, go check it out, then buy off the lot at the dealership that has that car. You can drive it, kick the tires, see if it rattles, shifts OK, etc.

Sponsored

GDDYP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost Fastback (ETA 9/15/18), 1961 Thunderbird Hardtop
I disagree. The problem is when you place an order and the dealer doesn't admit to you up front they have no allocation. And don't jump to the conclusion the big guy can always get the car and the little guy can't. I spent over 10 months waiting for my last Mustang from a mega-dealer. When I finally got fed up, I decided to try a small dealer way out of town. The small dealer had the car in 8 weeks!

Long story short, ask up front about dealer allocation availability and if the dealer is cagey about DORA numbers, VINs, ETAs or any other reasonable info requests, you may need to switch dealers.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
Morons on the internet don't hurt my feelings. You seem pretty invested in wanting my feelings hurt, asking if YOU hurt my feelings, when my first post was a reply to someone else.
Someone said they didn't understand why 'anybody' would order. I explained why it made sense for me. I made no judgment on anyone who doesn't. I think I even said 'nobody cares'. That includes me.

done with this
Dude, your original reply was to me. You had to call me out first. I didn't call you out. So YOU chill.

Last edited:

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
Ha!! I ordered my 2015 50yrr Pkg.... built just the way I wanted it!! No problems at all Hallmark Ford in Surrey BC....and the rep still contacts me!! Sends me birthday wishes as well as Anniversary (of car delivery) every year! I started ordering new cars when I was 21..... been doing it now for 51yrs!! Bought several over the years... never a disappointment!! ...nobody has driven it and it’s just the way I wanted them all to be... fully loaded!! Including my 2012 BMW 6 Coupe....took a year!!! No problem!! They even came to my house, picked me up and drove me to the dealership!!!

Fantom928

Fantom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Why I'll never understand why anyone has to factory order a Mustang. There's a zillion on the lot around me and you save a ton buying off the lot.
The only car you factory order is something like a BMW, Audi, or Porsche to avoid paying for several thousands in options (as in $10K+) that only ordering can avoid in most dealerships.
I factory ordered my 2016 GT Premium because I knew exactly what I wanted, and it was not sitting on a lot anywhere.
I wanted a Bullitt look-a-like - guard green with brown interior. It was worth the wait....and then Ford discontinued that color in 2017 and 2018, so it's even more unique now.
BUT - the order process took a while and my dealership knew nothing about build date, shipping, etc.

Sponsored

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
Wait, you guys had to put money down to order yours?
I sent emails to all the local dealers with the exact specs I wanted (GT PP 401A + adaptive cruise, I'd already looked and there wasn't a single one within 300 miles), and one of them called me back to tell me he ordered it right then. I hadn't even seen the guy, let alone wrote him a check. 6 weeks later I had a car. Ordered Nov 30 2015 and got it Jan 15 2016. After ordering, I haggled via email for a week or so (over 7k off sticker), he sent me a window sticker after a few weeks and called me the day before it arrived to tell me. I was in and out in 15 mins.
Ordering a Mustang worked out great for me.

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
I have factory ordered a Crown Vic and Ranger in decades past. Two bad outcomes.
Try to avoid it if you can. Biggest problem is the car is yours when it goes on the
rail carrier at the plant. If a kid in Ohio throws a rock at the train and your car gets damaged
it is your car! You have to take delivery. Worse, the Ford dealer makes the insurance claim and
gets paid, then his body shop can low ball the repair and he makes money on the damage.
That happened. If the sides get scraped on load or unload it is your car.
Best advice: let the dealer take the transit risk, buy off the lot, inspect thoroughly.
You have to pay $800 for transit in either case. Read your contract. If the car gets damaged in transit
and it is your factory order with VIN, it is your car, like it or not.

Buy off the lot. If you want a special color/ option combo, talk to the dealer GM and tell him
how much you like it. They bulk order every month. They will have every reason to order
based on customer feedback. They have to order something, why not build what buyers
ask for. Let the dealer take the risk. Make it yours after it is on the ground at your dealer
and you have inspected it thoroughly. Happy delivery and buyer guaranteed.

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
Read your contract. If the car gets damaged in transit
Not true. That is the dealer pressuring you into accepting the order.

Any deposit on a car should be 100% refundable and subject to final approval once the car arrives. I always add that tidbit on the sales contract.

Reactions: nrc

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I have factory ordered a Crown Vic and Ranger in decades past. Two bad outcomes.
Try to avoid it if you can. Biggest problem is the car is yours when it goes on the
rail carrier at the plant. If a kid in Ohio throws a rock at the train and your car gets damaged
it is your car! You have to take delivery. Worse, the Ford dealer makes the insurance claim and
gets paid, then his body shop can low ball the repair and he makes money on the damage.
That happened. If the sides get scraped on load or unload it is your car.
Best advice: let the dealer take the transit risk, buy off the lot, inspect thoroughly.
You have to pay $800 for transit in either case. Read your contract. If the car gets damaged in transit

Buy off the lot. If you want a special color/ option combo, talk to the dealer GM and tell him
how much you like it. They bulk order every month. They will have every reason to order
based on customer feedback. They have to order something, why not build what buyers
ask for. Let the dealer take the risk. Make it yours after it is on the ground at your dealer
and you have inspected it thoroughly. Happy delivery and buyer guaranteed.

Sorry, but that's all total BS.

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
""Any deposit on a car should be 100% refundable and subject to final approval once the car arrives. I always add that tidbit on the sales contract."

"should" is something you write I fully agree with. However, read the contract. There is no use of the word should. It is your car.
You take it or walk away from your deposit and hope that is the last you hear of it.
Sponsored