Sponsored

Need some ideas and help from the board...

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Great idea you have for your Dad. He will really appreciate it as he was one of a very few that owned "K" cars. I remember when I saw and heard one brand new. What an incredible sound those solid lifters made. Always wanted to own one, but now have a 2017 GT350. He will love it.
The "K" code 289 cars were very cool back in my day but Ford actually produced a lot of "K" code Mustangs back then with the majority of them coming out of their San Jose production plant.

Of course Carroll and his Shelby team all used modified "K" code 289's in their '65 GT350 and '65 GT350R's as their power plants.

If I recall there were ~7300 "K" code Mustangs produced during the 1965MY with the very first "K" code Mustang 2+2 belonging to a friend of mine in the Atlanta area. VIN ends with K125001.

Way back in 1987 (that was a quick 30 years!) I owned and raced a 1965 Hi-Po K code Mustang 2+2 that was converted over to GT350R specs with that car coming from Pivec Racing in San Jose, California.

Because of its high compression I ran 1/4 tank of aviation fuel along with 3/4 of a tank of Chevron 94 octane which helped it a lot.

Shifting point was always around 6500RPM which was a pretty high redline back then. I sold that car to a fellow in Abbotsford, B.C. who still vintages races that car from time to time. Sure miss that car and one of the ones that I should never let go.

:crazy: :headbonk:
Sponsored

Rusty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350
I am the same age as your Dad. DOB 05/02/1943. I had an "A" code 1965 Mustang coupe. A 289 with a 4 bbl. When I bought it, I was unaware of the "K" cars. When a co-worker pulled into the gas station where I worked, I could not initially see the car. I just heard the sound of the solid lifters and I thought it was a Corvette. His car was brand new, stock mufflers, so the engine sounded like a beautiful machine. I'll never forget it. The "K" engine is what was used in the GT350's if the day. Stock they made 271 hp, but with a new intake and exhaust manifolds, Shelby got 306 hp out of them. I still would like to own one, but the newer Mustangs have better brakes, and advanced safety equipment. So with the GT350, we have lots of exhaust sound, but not the mechanical sound I loved so much. If you ever have a chance to hear an old Ferrari, especially a 12 cyl. car, you should be able to hear the mechanical symphony of the solid lifters. Your dad was ahead of his time, and please tell him that I congratulate his choice of cars. He sounds like a great guy, as do you.

OP
OP

TommyBehindTheDeuce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Ok. I found an R I like for 10 over. Car is up here and I may drive it down there and surprise him. It is black with white stripes.

Decisions, decisions.

Sponsored

OP
OP

TommyBehindTheDeuce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Dealership gave me a Shelby GT350 shirt when I bought the car...I know - a $35 t-shirt (wow) when the car was 79k before TTT. But it gave me an idea. So when I met my father at a restaurant in town, I told him i got him a short. He opened it up and stared at me in amazement.

So the next few days we will spend driving it around Appalachia and having a blast. He couldn’t be happier; brings back memories of his old HiPo and he is in love with the sound (shocker, right).

More pics later, but here he is 1 minute after seeing his new car.

Sponsored