Need Help With Window Tinting Suggestions

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Anyone with the 3M wear polarized sunglasses? I've heard the 3M gives off a rainbow affect. That and the price are the only reasons I haven't gotten it yet.
Tint in itself doesn't cause "rainbows" on your windows. Those rainbows come from how tempered glass is made. It's heated and then cooled. This causes structural changes in the layers of glass that polarization picks up.

You can see rainbows while looking at your smartphone with polarized glasses as well. Same thing.
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I think imma look into this stuff. It's not metallic or reflective correct? It looks like a normal dark black tint?
It's ceramic hybrid film, non metallic. It's Llumar/Formula One's latest and greatest. It's thick and looks like a normal dark tint. The heat rejection is the main reason why I bought it. Not trying to hide myself although you can't really see through my back window either at the darkest level of the Stratos.

The shop that installed mine does several high end cars, and regularly does all BMW, Mercedes, Lexus from dealerships. They got my back window first try with the thick heat lines no problem.

Just look at the heat rejection chart for Formula One Stratos vs Formula One Pinnacle. I think the part that is hard to accept is the price, but I wanted nothing but the best for my Mustang.

Dak2Zeke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 428
Got mine done today I had some concerns
1) the rear windshield there is a few air bubbles. I just got it done a few hours ago. Is his normal? Should I wait it out few days?
2) the rear windshield the there is a bit of a border, I guess it is the dot matrix. This does not look tinted and it creates somewhat of a border, is this common?

shelbydave

Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 shelby gt350
Lummar is the maker of more tint then what most know.. the formula one tint is marketed as a higher end film. When y'all talk about only some shops can install it that's not nessasarily true . It's a territory thing it has to be that war in order to sell and command the price.. stay away from 3m..they don't make most of there tint .. lummar ctx/ ceramic is top of the line.. warranty color stability and scratch coating.. but what do I know I just tint cars everyday

shelbydave

Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 shelby gt350
1) the rear windshield there is a few air bubbles. I just got it done a few hours ago. Is his normal? Should I wait it out few days?
2) the rear windshield the there is a bit of a border, I guess it is the dot matrix. This does not look tinted and it creates somewhat of a border, is this common?[/QUOT

The back glass on the s550 has thick fading defroster lines. There are certain tricks to prep those lines so you don't get those crescent moon fingers that come off the lines.. water bubbles are normal.usually gone in 3-5 days depending on weather. Silver grey color bubbles mean air and that won't clear up

Sponsored

shelbydave

Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 shelby gt350
2) the rear windshield the there is a bit of a border, I guess it is the dot matrix. This does not look tinted and it creates somewhat of a border, is this common?

If you see bubbles / little long bubbles coming of the defroster lines no. That's not normal.
The silver around the boarder is normal. If you want to get super anal the border can be heated and carded to get the tint down between the dots. Most shops won't do that though

Dak2Zeke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 428
If you see bubbles / little long bubbles coming of the defroster lines no. That's not normal.
The silver around the boarder is normal. If you want to get super anal the border can be heated and carded to get the tint down between the dots. Most shops won't do that though
Should I wait a few days to see if the bubbles dry before going back?

And I'm assuming they tinted over the dot matrix but the dot matrix is above the glass so it can't be concealed with tint? Is that correct?

Dak2Zeke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 428
2) the rear windshield the there is a bit of a border, I guess it is the dot matrix. This does not look tinted and it creates somewhat of a border, is this common?[/QUOT

The back glass on the s550 has thick fading defroster lines. There are certain tricks to prep those lines so you don't get those crescent moon fingers that come off the lines.. water bubbles are normal.usually gone in 3-5 days depending on weather. Silver grey color bubbles mean air and that won't clear up
Sorry for so many questions. But how do you tel the difference from water and air bubbles?

shelbydave

Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 shelby gt350

shelbydave

Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 shelby gt350
Should I wait a few days to see if the bubbles dry before going back?

And I'm assuming they tinted over the dot matrix but the dot matrix is above the glass so it can't be concealed with tint? Is that correct?
Dot matrix on these cars is around the border and on your quarter glasses.The top just has a painted stepped fade

Sponsored

Carbon Addict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Lummar is the maker of more tint then what most know.. the formula one tint is marketed as a higher end film. When y'all talk about only some shops can install it that's not nessasarily true . It's a territory thing it has to be that war in order to sell and command the price.. stay away from 3m..they don't make most of there tint .. lummar ctx/ ceramic is top of the line.. warranty color stability and scratch coating.. but what do I know I just tint cars everyday
I was looking at 3M crystalline on the front windshield and ceramic on the rest. Why do you say stay away from 3M? They don't make their tint but why is that a bad thing? I'm genuinely curious as I've only gotten one of my cars tinted and that was over 10 years ago.

The closest lummar installer is over an hour away from me. Is the stuff really worth the drive? I looked at the numbers and they seem very similar if no almost identical to the 3M crystalline.

shelbydave

Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 shelby gt350
I was looking at 3M crystalline on the front windshield and ceramic on the rest. Why do you say stay away from 3M? They don't make their tint but why is that a bad thing? I'm genuinely curious as I've only gotten one of my cars tinted and that was over 10 years ago.

The closest lummar installer is over an hour away from me. Is the stuff really worth the drive? I looked at the numbers and they seem very similar if no almost identical to the 3M crystalline.
I'm literally weeks out of using 3m. Everything about the film I didn't like.. there trying to compete with lummars self healing paint protection film.. one of the 3m reps came to my shop and tried to demo there ppf product and couldn't even get it on a hood without it looking like crap. That was the last straw..were using lummar again. From an installers stand point it's just shrinks and installs so much better.

shelbydave

Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 shelby gt350
Another thing I highly recommend is the lummar air 80 blue..that stuff is amazing!!its used mostly on front windshields.. from the outside it kinda gives that blueish Mercedes look .. has great heat rejection.
Sponsored

Reactions: Ebm