Sponsored

Need help on how to fix this broken bolt dilemma.

Bassackwards

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS convertible
Don’t be a moron and just hog out the hole. Soak it with pb blaster and drill a small hole then bigger then bigger. Eventually the bolt will get weak and just come out. If you don’t hit the threads you can just screw a new one right into the hole.
Sponsored

OP
OP
GhostWolf

GhostWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Performance Pack
Don’t be a moron and just hog out the hole. Soak it with pb blaster and drill a small hole then bigger then bigger. Eventually the bolt will get weak and just come out. If you don’t hit the threads you can just screw a new one right into the hole.
I figure those threads are so rusty I'm going to need to tap them regardless. So I'm thinking I'll start small and then end 1 drill size or wire size or whichever size it is I need to be at the next tap size up and then buy a random bolt from home Depot or something. I can't find the OEM bolt part number to order a replacement

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
Do not overthink the problem B/A is correct IMO. I would SLOWLY drill out the bolt till it gives up and pulls free, Check the hole and retap to the correct size. If you don't know what you are doing go to a good parts store (NAPA) and have someone check it out to see what bolt replacement you really need. DON'T go hog wild and drill out the area to some ungodly size just to replace a ground bolt. Good Luck.

OP
OP
GhostWolf

GhostWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
Do not overthink the problem B/A is correct IMO. I would SLOWLY drill out the bolt till it gives up and pulls free, Check the hole and retap to the correct size. If you don't know what you are doing go to a good parts store (NAPA) and have someone check it out to see what bolt replacement you really need. DON'T go hog wild and drill out the area to some ungodly size just to replace a ground bolt. Good Luck.
This is my current temp fix to the the car to the garage. I'm going to just try vice grips from below to turn the bolt out and if that fails I'll drill and tap. I work as a welder and fabricator so drilling and tapping holes is nothing for me. Which I had some good drill bits with me though. And yes I know my current temp fix is ghetto

Bassackwards

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS convertible
That bolt won't be very hard to remove. You won't even need a tap if you do it right. drill through the center of the bolt and pick out the remains. We got so good at it that the old bolt looked like a spring when we finished.

OP
OP
GhostWolf

GhostWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
That bolt won't be very hard to remove. You won't even need a tap if you do it right. drill through the center of the bolt and pick out the remains. We got so good at it that the old bolt looked like a spring when we finished.
It went poorly. Got to the bottom but no space to move it. Drill bits kept breaking and the bolt isn't straight down so the bits started walking and well I missed the bolt entirely almost and the hole is an over and extremely crooked but it's a hole. It tapped very very loosely to m7 so I'll see if I can find a bolt for it. If not then probably a piece of tape just to hide the shit show and my copper cord to battery will work for now and I'll probably find a self tapper and just drill a hole and cut the OEM cable, exten it and self tap it.
Sponsored