Sponsored

Need experienced input on AMSOIL OE vs SS

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi all, I've been looking through threads to find the specific answer, but can't seem to get anything definitive (ideally with data/results?).

The question is simple:
I've a completely stock 15 GT. Daily driven. No racing.

Do I really want the Signature Series over the OE?
Both are synthetic, which is what's confusing me.
Car is currently on the Motorcraft (OE) 5w20, but I hear AMSOIL is among the best oils and thinking I'll switch to it for my next oil change.

SS
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...00-percent-synthetic-motor-oil/?code=ALMQT-EA

OE
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...e-5w-20-oe-synthetic-motor-oil/?code=OEMQT-EA

Thanks for looking
Sponsored

OP
OP
18psi

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
25 views and not a single comment? Lol i guess no one knows

turbohvn

Turbohvn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Fastback GT PP
Does anyone have that link to the guy that did the study of over 234 oils and compared them? Long read but the final results were eye opening. Please post link if you have it.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
For AMSOIL, SS>XL>OE. IMO, I would go SS, even with a daily driver. It's just an extremely high quality oil and the price difference when you think about it over the long term is not all that different. If you get their membership the price is even less since it's 25% off. The membership is $10 for 6 months or $20 for 1 year.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Does anyone have that link to the guy that did the study of over 234 oils and compared them? Long read but the final results were eye opening. Please post link if you have it.
In that study, if it's the same one, he only used their OE.

Sponsored

OP
OP
18psi

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks daltron, and I think you're right for the most part, and I already have the membership, but the price difference is ~5 vs ~8 per quart.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those people that buys the cheapest junk just to save a penny, but I was just considering my intended use and wondering if I need the extra protection from the SS.

I wouldn't run either one of them for any more than about 5-8k miles, daily driving.

I guess my real question, or what I'm wondering, is: I've seen UOA's of Amsoil vs Motorcraft on a coyote engine and the Amsoil holds up way WAY better. But that's the signature series. I wonder if the OE, given the short 5-8k mile interval I intend to follow, would be just as good, and the SS only outshines it in the longer intervals??

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
The SS has more protection as well. IMO, what I would do, is try the SS with the EaO filter and do an oil analysis at 10K miles. The SS price difference could easily be offset by the longer drain interval.

OP
OP
18psi

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That might be a good idea. Ok thanks I'll just go with the proven SS

Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Daily driving and still changing at 5-8K save your money on the amsoil MC 5-20 and call it good. If you do a lot of spirited driving or racing, or plan on longer change intervals then think about a high quality synthetic like amsoil.

Personally I run the Amsoil SS with their filter, but I regularly drive hard, and hit up the drag strip. Under harsher conditions than DD knowing the oil is one less thing to worry about is nice.

Nihil

Cowabunga
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Grey Goop
I think of it like this...drive a $30-40k car, slap the expensive universally know good oil in every 6 months.

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
This thread makes me feel bad for buying the mobile 1 on sale and planning to change it every 3k miles

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6 performance pack, whipple charged
Amsoil ss here. Got rid of cold ticking. Randy Motorcraft twice before changing.
Sponsored