NAIAS - Ford under wraps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
The Fusions that are built in Spain are for the European market. Production has only been there for a short number of years since it was recently transferred from Genk in Belgium to Valencia in Spain, in an effort to save on labor costs.

This whole transfer delayed the introduction of the current Fusion (Mondeo) in Europe by more than 2 years. So when they finally started deliveries over here in early 2015 it was already an aging model and the time gap between end of supply of the old model and introduction of the new one had already made many loyal Mondeo owners switch to other brands. The fact that within a few months the first spyshots of the US facelift started popping up didn't exactly help sales either.

Ford has obviously completely mismanaged the Mondeo production for the European market and is mostly responsible themselves for the current poor sales figures of what once was a very successful model.

That being said the market trend towards stupid SUV style cars is the same over here as it is in the rest of the world plus the fierce emission regulations in Europe are rapidly pushing people into smaller cars with smaller engines, resulting in what you guys in the US call the compact sedan market drying up rapidly. So even without Fords gross mismanagement chances are the Fusion would have died here too anyway.
Sponsored

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Forget Fusion. It's competing in a segment dominated by the cheaper Asians and is offered with more appointments and better quality therefore can't compete on price. This is potentially good news and I'll try to explain why.

A Ford 4 door saloon/sedan or even 4-door coupe would only be feasible and profitable when it's offered as a premium/prestige vehicle with overt styling, decent power, and rwd bias. Yes, kill Fusion and offer a awd/rwd ~600hp fully appointed <insert favourite badge> luxobarge to compete with the likes of M5/E63 at an attractive price.

We know D6 is for Explorer, and D6R is for Mustang. I may be optimistic but I think they could put that platform to even more good use. A proper global premium sedan may attract as many, if not more buyers than Mustang, without the worry of having to compete on price with shitboxes like Camry and Insignia.

If you want a cheap sedan buy a Focus. It's slightly enlarged fwiw. Want something larger than that get an Edge.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
I take back all the bad things I said about Hatchet.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Forget Fusion. It's competing in a segment dominated by the cheaper Asians and is offered with more appointments and better quality therefore can't compete on price. This is potentially good news and I'll try to explain why.

A Ford 4 door saloon/sedan or even 4-door coupe would only be feasible and profitable when it's offered as a premium/prestige vehicle with overt styling, decent power, and rwd bias. Yes, kill Fusion and offer a awd/rwd ~600hp fully appointed <insert favourite badge> luxobarge to compete with the likes of M5/E63 at an attractive price.

We know D6 is for Explorer, and D6R is for Mustang. I may be optimistic but I think they could put that platform to even more good use. A proper global premium sedan may attract as many, if not more buyers than Mustang, without the worry of having to compete on price with shitboxes like Camry and Insignia.

If you want a cheap sedan buy a Focus. It's slightly enlarged fwiw. Want something larger than that get an Edge.
I wish. But wasn't the Chevy SS a flop? How are CTS' selling?

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
^^ If only!

This reminds me of when Ford killed the GRDP (Global Rear Drive Platform). I know the timing sucked (it was when the Big 3 were on the brink) but imagine where they might be now!

So, think smart Ford! If the Explorer is using a RWD platform, make the most of it. Bring back the Falcon!

Anyway, we're a bit off topic :eek:

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The SS was a flop because it was 1) pretty expensive for 2) what most people thought was a Malibu. It's a great car but it never had the chance to sell well beyond strictly enthusiasts who knew its underpinnings. The very large car market is tiny and will remain tiny. Those who want a sedan these days are not looking for a big lumbering powerhouse. Creating a large, non-premium brand car would not make financial sense unless you were intending on getting fleet & police/municipal sales as well, AND it shared most of its platform development with other, high volume vehicles.

OP
OP
OH3Cobra

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
The very large car market is tiny and will remain tiny. Those who want a sedan these days are not looking for a big lumbering powerhouse.

Agree on Chevy's miss with the SS. A lot of car for the money.

But believe the Charger and the 300 disprove your assessment of the large car segment. There are a ton of them on the road in the MW. I love my 300SRT8 and my tall sons fit in it vs. a CTSV.c The cost is lower and the reliability is great. It'll be interesting to see what FCA does with the next version.

THREAD - We have collectively derailed this - probably to hide our anxiety over possibly no GT500 at Detroit. In a few days we'll know. Anyone have a current shot of the Ford Cobo set up? Or is it still "off Limits"

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
It flopped because the factory it was made in wasn't sustainable. And when its competition was axed for the same reason it became even less sustainable. Those cars relied on fleets to get them over the line. SS' donor car was sold with little margin just so that it could top the sales sheets. You can't keep doing that and rely on government handouts to keep your head above water. Being a good car doesn't cut it in this segment. You need to attract big margins and if it had a German name it would achieve that.

There were times when large sedans and their wagon offshoots did the bidding of big families. The SUV is now the more practical choice. How many more Explorers are sold than the cheaper Fusions? And how much more profit is Ford making on the Explorer?
There were also times when the financial climate wasn't all that volatile so that was another reason why large cars flourished with fleets. Now? No sir, a little 4cyl will do you fine.

The SS may have been a good car (personally I thought it was shit) but its donor vehicle didn't sell enough. The global trend for bread and butter vehicles are SUVs and small hatches, and large sedans have become a niche and a luxury.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
^^ If only!

This reminds me of when Ford killed the GRDP (Global Rear Drive Platform). I know the timing sucked (it was when the Big 3 were on the brink) but imagine where they might be now!

So, think smart Ford! If the Explorer is using a RWD platform, make the most of it. Bring back the Falcon!

Anyway, we're a bit off topic :eek:
In Australia the Falcon was seen as a cheap, affordable, "good value" large taxi. Never considered by the masses as anything premium. (Although the performance versions were sometimes quite remarkable). Not sure how its perceived in North America and other parts of the world where you'd pitch it as a prestige sedan.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
The very large car market is tiny and will remain tiny. Those who want a sedan these days are not looking for a big lumbering powerhouse.

Agree on Chevy's miss with the SS. A lot of car for the money.

But believe the Charger and the 300 disprove your assessment of the large car segment. There are a ton of them on the road in the MW. I love my 300SRT8 and my tall sons fit in it vs. a CTSV.c The cost is lower and the reliability is great. It'll be interesting to see what FCA does with the next version.

THREAD - We have collectively derailed this - probably to hide our anxiety over possibly no GT500 at Detroit. In a few days we'll know. Anyone have a current shot of the Ford Cobo set up? Or is it still "off Limits"
It actually has a lot to do with Mustang's future. The more tophats you have for each platform, the better.

The Charger and the 300 have what I consider styling that is unique and outside the square. The (Commodore) SS and Falcon were way too conservative. The base models were not all that inspiring. In this game you need every little thing going your way. The 300 in particular is well proportioned and offers a much classier appearance than your average sedan.

In addition to that they're old platforms that have been milked well. And what else occupies that space? Nothing, so they're going to sell. The affordable large, V8 sedan that doesn't look like a Malibu or a Focus. I'm all for corporate signatures across the whole brand but, sometimes, when you can't afford to fail, you need to offer something that's hard to refuse, not a larger version of $15k econobox.

Sponsored

S922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Something slow
Ophidiophobiacs should stay out of Cobo Hall next week.

chill66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT500
Ophidiophobiacs should stay out of Cobo Hall next week.
Are you guessing...or do you have actual info about this so-called snake???

Status
Not open for further replies.