Brice80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT Premium PP
Hey guys,

Lookin for some community help. I bought the PP and i understood it came in manual only. I'm wondering if others feel some of the same things i do.

I had a thud going into first most of the time - after my oil change this occurs less, but still there.
Shifting INTO second gear seems forced some of the time, it's not terrible but I wasn't sure if that was something jus tmy car did. Also something similar to that is when I shift into 4th gear. feels like a rubber band or something is in the way, and it's not hard to push through it, but the other gears don't seem to have that same feel.

I removed the spring, because I couldn't get the shifts right with it in, and that helped SO much with the smoothness. I still struggle occasionally with 1st to 2nd and after 2 months that bothers me, I'm sure that's driver error.

I feel like I am SO much slower than an autoamtic would be from 0-60 ft, I can shift smooth and fast from 2-5, it's starting that sucks.

This is my first manual car, I've driven a jeep manual for a couple months but that was a joke, it was so easy. I'm wondering if people have tips on how to get better, driving in traffic, downshifting, smooth but fast accelerations. I've seen plenty of people put in all these shifter brackets and other goodies, but I'm not lookin to spend a whole lot honestly.

*I love having the manual, don't get me wrong, I just want to be a more efficient and knowledgable manual driver.

Appreciate it you guys, couldn't be happier with this community thus far!:headbang:

Thanks,
B
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys,

Lookin for some community help. I bought the PP and i understood it came in manual only. I'm wondering if others feel some of the same things i do.

I had a thud going into first most of the time - after my oil change this occurs less, but still there.
Shifting INTO second gear seems forced some of the time, it's not terrible but I wasn't sure if that was something jus tmy car did. Also something similar to that is when I shift into 4th gear. feels like a rubber band or something is in the way, and it's not hard to push through it, but the other gears don't seem to have that same feel.

I removed the spring, because I couldn't get the shifts right with it in, and that helped SO much with the smoothness. I still struggle occasionally with 1st to 2nd and after 2 months that bothers me, I'm sure that's driver error.

I feel like I am SO much slower than an autoamtic would be from 0-60 ft, I can shift smooth and fast from 2-5, it's starting that sucks.

This is my first manual car, I've driven a jeep manual for a couple months but that was a joke, it was so easy. I'm wondering if people have tips on how to get better, driving in traffic, downshifting, smooth but fast accelerations. I've seen plenty of people put in all these shifter brackets and other goodies, but I'm not lookin to spend a whole lot honestly.

*I love having the manual, don't get me wrong, I just want to be a more efficient and knowledgable manual driver.

Appreciate it you guys, couldn't be happier with this community thus far!:headbang:

Thanks,
B
Unless you're really aggressively on the throttle, have patience between shifts. There's a bit of rev hang (some from calibration, some from the fact that this is a very free-revving engine with a heavy flywheel). If you actively focus on letting the revs drop before you let the clutch back out, things smooth out. If you're driving aggressive, be aggressive - it likes it.

OP
OP
Brice80

Brice80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)
Unless you're really aggressively on the throttle, have patience between shifts. There's a bit of rev hang (some from calibration, some from the fact that this is a very free-revving engine with a heavy flywheel). If you actively focus on letting the revs drop before you let the clutch back out, things smooth out. If you're driving aggressive, be aggressive - it likes it.
Yea once I'm going, and if I'm cruising, I love rowing the gears casually. not aggressive.
So are you saying don't over rev? I usually let the clutch out a bit before giving it gas, then when I feel it about to engage I slowly add gas. to even it out. maybe I need to give it more revs

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
If you want a faster start from a stop, you need to have the rpms up a bit as you engage the clutch. Start at about 2500 rpm and adjust from there. As the clutch catches, give more gas aggressively. You will get a feel for what gives you the best compromise between uselessly spinning the tires vs. a bit of spin and then hooking up.

The thud when shifting into first is normal. You probably have it shifting into 2nd and 3rd as well.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
It's just going to take time to get used to. I probably have 1.5 million miles or more driving standards and I can say every time I drive this car, taking off is no problem, but I have to remind myself that the clutch is engaging somewhat higher on the pedal stroke than my other manual mustang and my truck. Remember the clutch engages high and maybe drain and replace the tranny fluid with syncromesh to aid in shift motion, less notchy transition to next gear.

Try to release the clutch on an empty parking lot a bit slower and realize where on the pedal stroke it actually begins to engage. Try taking off in an empty lot to get the feel down without the pressure of other cars behind you. It comes down to understanding how the car reacts to your clutch pedal and throttle input. I really would consider the fluid change if you are having trouble with shift notchiness. I only have about 400 miles on my '15 and just last evening I took it out to pick some beer up and I was paying attention to the high engagement point on the pedal stroke the clutch engages compared to my other stang and that made my shifts very smooth just realizing it's a different set up and requires a different approach.

As far as the feel of having a rubber band feel or something blocking your shift, just row right through it like a you mean it and swap out the fluid for sure.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Brice80

Brice80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)
If you want a faster start from a stop, you need to have the rpms up a bit as you engage the clutch. Start at about 2500 rpm and adjust from there. As the clutch catches, give more gas aggressively. You will get a feel for what gives you the best compromise between uselessly spinning the tires vs. a bit of spin and then hooking up.

The thud when shifting into first is normal. You probably have it shifting into 2nd and 3rd as well.
Yea worked on that. I just meant in traffic it can get annoying, but I have been revving a little higher when shifting. I don't really give it any gas anymore until I feel it about to engage.

It's just going to take time to get used to. I probably have 1.5 million miles or more driving standards and I can say every time I drive this car, taking off is no problem, but I have to remind myself that the clutch is engaging somewhat higher on the pedal stroke than my other manual mustang and my truck. Remember the clutch engages high and maybe drain and replace the tranny fluid with syncromesh to aid in shift motion, less notchy transition to next gear.

Try to release the clutch on an empty parking lot a bit slower and realize where on the pedal stroke it actually begins to engage. Try taking off in an empty lot to get the feel down without the pressure of other cars behind you. It comes down to understanding how the car reacts to your clutch pedal and throttle input. I really would consider the fluid change if you are having trouble with shift notchiness. I only have about 400 miles on my '15 and just last evening I took it out to pick some beer up and I was paying attention to the high engagement point on the pedal stroke the clutch engages compared to my other stang and that made my shifts very smooth just realizing it's a different set up and requires a different approach.

As far as the feel of having a rubber band feel or something blocking your shift, just row right through it like a you mean it and swap out the fluid for sure.
Yea I guess that's pretty helpful, from someone with that much experience it's good to hear it'll get better. It's not BAD by any means, I just want to be more fluid, like doing a lane change on the highway in traffic. I don't wanna be jerky if anyone is in the car ya know.:headbang:

Okay I have heard lots about the transmission fluid. When I changed the oil last week, I lost a lot of the hard notchy feel I got when going into 1st gear (most of the time at least). I found this on amazon (below) is this what you're thinking I should get? I think we need 3 qt or something. and I've never changed that before so I'll look up some DIY videos on that.

Good call on the open parking lot, I'll try that this evening. Launching, and shifting normal. Downshifting, al that good stuff. I'm going out to our property this weekend as well, so I'll probably just do the transmission fluid out there, just need to make sure I have all the correct equipment!

http://www.amazon.com/Royal-Purple-...&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=royal+purple+syncromax

Boff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP 401a Race Red
I'll give Annie Savoy's advice: "...it's like hitting a baseball...you just gotta relax...and concentrate".

Mustang99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The advice my mom gave me when she taught me to drive stick was:
"Treat it like a women. Not too hard but not too soft."

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

lex101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
The advice my mom gave me when she taught me to drive stick was:
"Treat it like a women. Not too hard but not too soft."

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
hahaha! this made my day...i guess i cant say the same, i ram it every time.lol.
Sponsored