1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Haha!! Blame UPS! :lol:
Sponsored

DJGold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 2015 V6 Manual (3.55 diff)
Wouldn't we be better off with a K&N (or other aftermarket) drop in filter. Doesn't the factory air box get it's air from tubes/pipes under the box that divert cooler air from the front of the car? It seems that putting an open air filter in the engine bay would just be a vacuum for hot air.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Wouldn't we be better off with a K&N (or other aftermarket) drop in filter. Doesn't the factory air box get it's air from tubes/pipes under the box that divert cooler air from the front of the car? It seems that putting an open air filter in the engine bay would just be a vacuum for hot air.
The problem with the stock intake system is that it is restrictive and heat soaks because of its close proximity to the engine.. Dropping a K&N filter will provide some improvement but lets look at the stock airbox... The only way for air to enter the engine is a small intake no bigger then a 2.5-3" pipe. From there the air has to turn 90 degrees to move up through the stock air filter. After the air filter it must again turn 90 degrees to move through the intake tube and then again another 90 degree turn before the throttle body. The key is much like an exhaust system, free flowing straight design while still providing filtration for the engine. This is where the Cone filters and cold air intakes come into play. And a well placed filter with a heat shield should have minimal problems with sucking in warm air.

FireHive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Mustang
The problem with the stock intake system is that it is restrictive and heat soaks because of its close proximity to the engine.. Dropping a K&N filter will provide some improvement but lets look at the stock airbox... The only way for air to enter the engine is a small intake no bigger then a 2.5-3" pipe. From there the air has to turn 90 degrees to move up through the stock air filter. After the air filter it must again turn 90 degrees to move through the intake tube and then again another 90 degree turn before the throttle body. The key is much like an exhaust system, free flowing straight design while still providing filtration for the engine. This is where the Cone filters and cold air intakes come into play. And a well placed filter with a heat shield should have minimal problems with sucking in warm air.
How's delivery coming along, Zack?

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
How's delivery coming along, Zack?
My coupler finally left the carrier facility that it has been at for the last 2 days... Coming from MI as first class package USPS. Expected delivery Friday.... Original delivery date was today. :frusty:

Sponsored

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
So I just had to see how the filter would look under the hood.... ( And make sure the filter fit)

Looks like I found a nice mounting point as well!
IMG_0718.jpg
IMG_0719.jpg

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Heat Shield Mockup

So I needed a heat shield for mockup/testing.... If it works the idea is that I will cut the edges and expand the box to transfer onto a pvc plastic sheet.
IMG_0720.jpg
IMG_0721.jpg
IMG_0722.jpg

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Needs a lower inlet (unless the opening you're showing is going to face down).

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Needs a lower inlet (unless the opening you're showing is going to face down).
It will have a lower inlet in the final version. Had to build it this way because of the material I used. Tomorrow I will be building another/modifying this one to use less material and have that inlet. I think in the end I will just have the bottom, back, and side around the filter neck.

FireHive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Mustang
What material are you planning on using to do the filter housing/ heat shield?

Sponsored
OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
What material are you planning on using to do the filter housing/ heat shield?
Either Sheet metal (12-16 gauge) or a material called PVC foam. PVC foam is basicly PVC plastic that has been extruded into a sheet much like they do with foam sheets. It is porous, "lightweight", and a good insulator. The PVC foam is easier to work with and I already have some so I will probably be going this route first.

Prototype heat shield... Will be modifying it more once I can get the OEM airbox out of the way and my filter in.
IMG_0726.jpg
IMG_0727.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DR_

badass03ragtop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2003 GT 'vert, 1973 Fastback
Don't use metal if you can help it. Metal will act as a heat soak and could raise IATs, rendering your work ineffective.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Don't use metal if you can help it. Metal will act as a heat soak and could raise IATs, rendering your work ineffective.
Thats the plan... Avoid metal as much as possible. Plus I already have 3 sheets of the PVC foam from another project.

I think I have the mounting points determined for the heat shield. One bolt through the bracket in a previous picture and then a flange holding the shield to the intake tube. Should be enough to hold it in place but I have a third mounting location in mind just in case.

Last edited:

FireHive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Mustang
Thats the plan... Avoid metal as much as possible. Plus I already have 3 sheets of the PVC foam from another project.

I think I have the mounting points determined for the heat shield. One bolt through the bracket in a previous picture and then a flange holding the shield to the intake tube. Should be enough to hold it in place but I have a third mounting location in mind just in case.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/hp-heatshield-mat-24in.html

What about sticking this around whatever you end up using?

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
http://www.americanmuscle.com/hp-heatshield-mat-24in.html

What about sticking this around whatever you end up using?
I could but that would probably be overkill... I'm thinking the PVC sheet will work. I just need this damn coupler to arrive now to proceed with the project...!

What is interesting from what I have done thus far is that I can't find the IAT sensor.... It is either buried in the air box or incorporated in another sensor.
Sponsored