Sponsored

My Base Shelby Arrived - Impressions/Pics

OneTrickPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Auto 3.55LSD
If you really keep it below 5k rpm for the first 150 miles, then you're the one man on the planet that could be trusted in a specialty care facility for mentally incapacitated college cheerleaders and runway models.
Sponsored

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Car looks great congrats. Jealous of the great roads you guys have on the west coast.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Your comparison to the Boss is interesting since that is what I drive. I suspected the Shelby might not have the same instant off-idle response since the Boss has shorter gears in the trans, less weight and more lowend torque. I hadn't planned on any mods whatsoever but according to the dyno graphs the Lund Flex Fuel tune adds a big chunk of torque where it will do the most good.

cj428

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R TT
looks great ,very nice pics.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Awesome, I dont make it to the city often, but glad to know more are finding their way to the bay area

Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Hey OP, don't hesitate to post an update on how things are going with your GT350! :cheers:

OP
OP

bretlasalle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R
Thanks [MENTION=19414]Shift[/MENTION]

I'm a big fan of the GT350, frankly also a big fan of the car in Base form (no MR). I would like for Ford to hustle on giving us some cooling options, but that time will come soon. I keep my Boss 302 in pretty tight suspension setups as both of these cars are not daily drivers. The base GT350 is significantly more pleasant over bumps than the Boss. The MR must be awesome, considering how good the base ride is. For me, paying a $5k markup on the car, I think I've made the right decision. MSRP at $51k is astonishing, go out and see what $51k gets you - we are lucky to have Ford taking measures to keep pricing down.

I have 4,500 miles on the car now, I drive it in the mountains/canyons/back roads almost weekly. I can tell you that the car performs very well on back roads. There is a road near me that has 45mph speed limits for 20+ miles (which makes felonies a bit less likely!), the Boss scares the hell out of me back there while the Shelby inspires me. I, still like driving the Boss more, but the Shelby is the better car.

Sorry Shift, I don't have much to add from a technical stand point. I've been told that my Boss 302 is a bit of a unicorn, for some reason it seems to be a bit quicker than other Bosses. I'm friends with a couple of Boss owners and this one is stout. I feel lucky to have the Boss & Shelby - driving them back to back is incredibly rewarding.

LindsayEOD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Thanks for the info bretlasalle. I have a base model GT350 and came from a '13 SBY Boss. I concur with most of your comments when comparing the two.
The IRS truly is a game changer when comparing to the Boss' SRA and while I think the Boss had better tone, the GT350 definitely is louder.
Keep posting as I truly enjoy reading your comments.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Thanks [MENTION=19414]Shift[/MENTION]

I'm a big fan of the GT350, frankly also a big fan of the car in Base form (no MR). I would like for Ford to hustle on giving us some cooling options, but that time will come soon. I keep my Boss 302 in pretty tight suspension setups as both of these cars are not daily drivers. The base GT350 is significantly more pleasant over bumps than the Boss. The MR must be awesome, considering how good the base ride is. For me, paying a $5k markup on the car, I think I've made the right decision. MSRP at $51k is astonishing, go out and see what $51k gets you - we are lucky to have Ford taking measures to keep pricing down.

I have 4,500 miles on the car now, I drive it in the mountains/canyons/back roads almost weekly. I can tell you that the car performs very well on back roads. There is a road near me that has 45mph speed limits for 20+ miles (which makes felonies a bit less likely!), the Boss scares the hell out of me back there while the Shelby inspires me. I, still like driving the Boss more, but the Shelby is the better car.

Sorry Shift, I don't have much to add from a technical stand point. I've been told that my Boss 302 is a bit of a unicorn, for some reason it seems to be a bit quicker than other Bosses. I'm friends with a couple of Boss owners and this one is stout. I feel lucky to have the Boss & Shelby - driving them back to back is incredibly rewarding.
Appreciate the update. Is it possible you have a strong engine because of how you broke it in? Since you're waiting for Fords cooling options, have you hit limp mode on the streets, or is it more of a better to have it and not need it situation?

Last edited:
OP
OP

bretlasalle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R
Appreciate the update. Is it possible you have a strong engine because of how you broke it in? Since you're waiting for Fords cooling options, have you hit limp mode on the streets, or is it more of a better to have it and not need it situation?
It certainly could be, fortunately or unfortunately I bought the Boss with about 100 miles on it - so no telling who the hell "test drove" this thing before me. I broke it in super easy though - I just don't know why mine seems to launch like crazy. I have gotten pretty good at modulating power through the gears as well, so I get pretty decent traction even with the stock Pirellis.

I have not hit limp mode on the streets and I have really pushed this thing for 10-25 minutes at a time. Highest outdoor temps have been 80-85 degrees and triple digit speeds may or may not have been hit/sustained during those temps and I may or may not have kept it at legitimately high mphs through the canyons. I also tend to leave the a/c on (not sure if that affects anything at all). Also, Everyday Driver stomped on it for a full weekend when they were filming and we didn't see any irregular temps. Lastly, Matt Farah did a One Take with it (really didn't drive it hard) and the outdoor temps were like 55ish but I did just drive down from SF to LA prior to the One Take. I hope I never experience limp mode, regardless I will be installing the coolers for the benefit of the next owner. All I can say, is that I think Ford gave it their all on this car. I hope they keep up the extra effort with the Lincoln brand as I'm hopeful for the Lincoln future as well. I loved my Lincoln MKZ Black Label.

Sponsored

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2018 Jeep JLUR, 2020 F-150
Congrats on the car. She's a beaut! Now the bad news, from the pics, it looks like the dealer did a really bad job installing your chin splitter.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43097

Looking at your second-to-last picture, that gap where you can see the fascia tab holes shouldn't be there. You'll want to check to be sure they did it correctly, reinstall it yourself, or have them double check it.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
It certainly could be, fortunately or unfortunately I bought the Boss with about 100 miles on it - so no telling who the hell "test drove" this thing before me. I broke it in super easy though - I just don't know why mine seems to launch like crazy. I have gotten pretty good at modulating power through the gears as well, so I get pretty decent traction even with the stock Pirellis.

I have not hit limp mode on the streets and I have really pushed this thing for 10-25 minutes at a time. Highest outdoor temps have been 80-85 degrees and triple digit speeds may or may not have been hit/sustained during those temps and I may or may not have kept it at legitimately high mphs through the canyons. I also tend to leave the a/c on (not sure if that affects anything at all). Also, Everyday Driver stomped on it for a full weekend when they were filming and we didn't see any irregular temps. Lastly, Matt Farah did a One Take with it (really didn't drive it hard) and the outdoor temps were like 55ish but I did just drive down from SF to LA prior to the One Take. I hope I never experience limp mode, regardless I will be installing the coolers for the benefit of the next owner. All I can say, is that I think Ford gave it their all on this car. I hope they keep up the extra effort with the Lincoln brand as I'm hopeful for the Lincoln future as well. I loved my Lincoln MKZ Black Label.
Awesome! Any idea on when we can expect the One Take for your car to show up on their channel? :cheers:

USMC0341

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Car looks great! Congrats!

Melekith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Also, Everyday Driver stomped on it for a full weekend when they were filming and we didn't see any irregular temps.
I just watched this video of theirs on YouTube yesterday! Before you said it I was thinking to myself...wait is THIS the guy that let them borrow HIS two cars? They are hands down the best car reviewers in the game right now. I could listen to them every day.

You should link that YouTube video here for everyone. I would but don't want to hijack or anything.

OP
OP

bretlasalle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R
Awesome! Any idea on when we can expect the One Take for your car to show up on their channel? :cheers:
I'm hoping soon! We shot it on April 8th, Matt Farah emailed me over the weekend asking for a 3/4 angle shot of the Shelby for the video. I check every morning to see when it posts... waiting patiently... haha
Sponsored