Sponsored

Mustang Winter Driving

Siggy550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
Okay, need some help/opinions from those of you who have specifically outfitted your Mustang with winter tires and driven in poor weather.

I'm looking at changing my daily driver from an AWD (all-season tire) BMW 335xi to a Mustang Ecoboost. This car will see snow and ice conditions as I travel for work (Interstate and highway mostly, so usually well plowed roads). I would absolutely invest in winter tires during the appropriate season. That, plus the limited slip differential makes me think I wouldn't have too many issues. Clearance is obviously the biggest issue for heavy snow fall, but I have an F-150 for those days.

Can anyone give me feedback what to expect for handling with that setup? Compared to an AWD vehicle with all-seasons? Overall, I think my BMW does great, but I've never used winter tires before and I've been told they would blow my mind regardless of drive train.
Sponsored

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
I drove a 2006 AWD BMW that had absolutely zero issues with snow. The mustang with all seasons is a bit different. It's completely fine on light snow but wouldn't take it out in heavier snow. If you get premium you'll have the snow mode which limits your throttle for you. Without it it's not that difficult to lose control of the rear.

14MustangV6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Focus SE Hatchback
I would argue clearance is the only issue if you're buying snow tires. I don't have any AWD experience, but I've had absolutely no issues the past two winters and we've had numerous significant snowfalls.

For reference, we got over 12 inches of snow on Superbowl Sunday, and I had no issues getting to work the following morning before my neighbourhood saw a plow.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I have an EB 6spd PP, I put 18" wheels with 225/55 Dunlap Winter Maxx tires on it. If you have been following the national winter we have been getting clobbered 1 or 2 times per week with snow in South Eastern Mass. The Mustang in snow mode nd wintet tires handles it just fine. Not quite as good as my wife's FWD Dart with winter tires but I wouldn't hesitate to take it in any weather.

My biggest concern is all the bone heads with 4wd/AWD and bald tires sliding into me.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
you'll be fine as long as you put winter tires on.

ive gotten by with summer tires, until i swapped them out for all seasons and it's more than enough traction for me.

but for those new to the RWD game, i highly recommend winter tires.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You'll be fine, especially with the EB. When I went from the V6 to the V8 I noticed a difference in traction - I think mostly due to all the weight in the front. With the 6 I was using all seasons. I could get by with all seasons in the V8 but I decided to go to snow tires.

With either car you can push snow with the front bumper and still make it through.

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
I have an ecoboost and got a set of Nokian winter tires. It so far has been pretty good. I am in New England and we have been slammed the last 4-5 weeks. While I dont usually take it out if its bad as there are a ton of steep hills around, when I have ventured out I have had no issues and actually feel safer in it then my wifes altima which has all seasons.

obiwandado

15 Deep Impact EB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Get Michelin X-Ice Xi3 tires and you'll go through blizzards, no problem. This is Superbowl Sunday, we got almost 20 inches and I drove through it like a boss and got to work the next morning without any problems.

:D
16245316140_63b658cdd9_h.jpg
16406746176_ebe63c8baa_h.jpg

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I'm running Michelin XIce Xi3's... It's truly amazing. Driving on 2"-3" of snow feels like driving on dry pavement on all-seasons. No problems whatsoever.

Slade

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic GT, 03 F150
I'm sure you already know this, but make sure you put the snows on the front as well.

Sponsored

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I'm sure you already know this, but make sure you put the snows on the back as well.

OP
OP

Siggy550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
I have an EB 6spd PP, I put 18" wheels with 225/55 Dunlap Winter Maxx tires on it. If you have been following the national winter we have been getting clobbered 1 or 2 times per week with snow in South Eastern Mass. The Mustang in snow mode nd wintet tires handles it just fine. Not quite as good as my wife's FWD Dart with winter tires but I wouldn't hesitate to take it in any weather.

My biggest concern is all the bone heads with 4wd/AWD and bald tires sliding into me.
:lol:

OP
OP

Siggy550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
Thanks everyone! You all confirmed what I was hoping to hear. Appreciate the recommendations. Now I just need to convince my wife we need another one! My LE is too much of a garage queen (trying not to depreciate it too hard) and I'm itching to drive a Mustang everyday. Plus, I like the aftermarket potential of the EB!

elfiero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Premium, 401A, silver, ebony, A/T
I bought a set of Goodyear eagle ultra-grip WRTs and mounted them on a set of OEM 18s I found on ebay. Had them put on the car before the car left the stealership. As others have reported, it drives wonderfully. Not as good as summer tires on dry pavement, more like all-season tires on a slightly damp road. We have a GT premium A/T. The car drives MUCH better than the '13 accord coupe v6 it replaced- Much better traction and braking. Winter-only tires are an absolute must if you are going to drive this car year around. I think the IRS and the tractionlok differential have a lot to do with it as well. Just remember- 300 to 400+ horsepower with RWD= spin 'em whenever you feel like it. This has nothing at all to do with the traction capabilities.

DJGold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 2015 V6 Manual (3.55 diff)
Winter is a breeze. Winter tires and you're all set.
IMG_20150116_123331.jpg
Sponsored