Sponsored

Mustang Spare Wheel

ShadowMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Ford Mustang Fastback
Within the next 2 weeks, I will take delivery of a new right hand drive Australian spec 2016 Mustang EcoBoost after having ordered the car in December (phew) 2014. I am aware that car is not equipped with a spare wheel, but rather has a puncture repair kit supplied which will not be suitable for the vast travel distances in the land down under. Could any US Mustang owners advise me whether the wheel well in the boot (I think you call it the trunk) will take a full size 19 inch wheel or will I have to buy the smaller space saver rim.:shrug:.
ShadowMustang Australia.
Sponsored

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
A few have bought full size I think but they won't fit completely in the spare tire well, they stick up 4 inches or so. I have the ford mini spare and it is nice

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
A few have bought full size I think but they won't fit completely in the spare tire well, they stick up 4 inches or so. I have the ford mini spare and it is nice
Yes, it will take the diameter but not the width. The one that is in there is 155-60 R18 and it sits flush with the rest of the floor.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Within the next 2 weeks, I will take delivery of a new right hand drive Australian spec 2016 Mustang EcoBoost after having ordered the car in December (phew) 2014. I am aware that car is not equipped with a spare wheel, but rather has a puncture repair kit supplied which will not be suitable for the vast travel distances in the land down under. Could any US Mustang owners advise me whether the wheel well in the boot (I think you call it the trunk) will take a full size 19 inch wheel or will I have to buy the smaller space saver rim.:shrug:.
ShadowMustang Australia.
Oh, and congrats on taking delivery! This is one fantastic car, will be great I am sure, though you have had some fine high HP cars down there, would have loved to get my hands on a Falcon at some point... :)

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yes, it will take the diameter but not the width. The one that is in there is 155-60 R18 and it sits flush with the rest of the floor.

So now I have a question for the readers. I would think if it can fit the diameter, there has to be a wheel/tire combo that could be purchased separately to get the correct diameter and enough backspacing. Would love to have a spare I could feel comfortable putting on a limited slip rear end. Looking at Internet pics of the OEM mustang spare it looks to be about a 8-9" wide tire, guessing one can be had in a larger diameter. I don't care for the whole idea of putting the spare on the front and front on a flat rear. Anyone done this, have any links to where to get a proper sized rim that will hold a narrow enough tire to sit flush in the well?

Sponsored

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
are you asking if there is a 19" donut available ?

Sort of, but not quite. Looking at the factory spare it appears to be wider? From what I recall, I thought donut spares were like 4-5" wide, the factory one is double that, at least that's what I think it measured looking at the tire size? So maybe I'm looking for a "wider" donut that will still fit in the recess but be the same outer diameter as the stock tires. Course this only matters if the well can hold a bigger diameter tire.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
I thought a donut was a donut. Is there any advantage to a slightly wider donut?

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I thought a donut was a donut. Is there any advantage to a slightly wider donut?

Lol. Probably not much, but it's proportional I'm my mind. I would think the wider the donut the more durable it might be. I always thought the donuts were so small that they were rated with something like 45mph, figured a 8-9 inch normal tire would be more like all the narrow tires most cars come with and could do highway speed. Course I haven't done much research on it, just what comes to mind.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
I think donuts are mostly low speed low, low total miles type things. There is either donuts, or full size spares. You might get a full size spare in the wheel well but it would have to be secured properly or else it could become a moving object in a front end collision.

Sponsored

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
I'm in the same boat with an EcoBoost PP. No spare offered. I thought it might have something to do with the normal Mustang spare kit wheel not clearing the brake rotors or not being wide enough to fit correctly or something?

If there was a spare kit for my car I would definitely buy it, especially after seeing both a pointy rock and pointy piece of plastic punch little holes right into the summer tires. Not enough to flatten them because the tires still have a ton of life left in them, but if they were worn, all it seems to take is something tapers on one end.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'm in the same boat with an EcoBoost PP. No spare offered. I thought it might have something to do with the normal Mustang spare kit wheel not clearing the brake rotors or not being wide enough to fit correctly or something?

If there was a spare kit for my car I would definitely buy it, especially after seeing both a pointy rock and pointy piece of plastic punch little holes right into the summer tires. Not enough to flatten them because the tires still have a ton of life left in them, but if they were worn, all it seems to take is something tapers on one end.

There is a spare tire kit that you can buy. It's around $200. Comes with a smaller tire and a jack. The problem with it is that is a smaller diameter and would chew up the clutch packs in a limited slip rear differential. Which means if you get a rear flat, you should move one of your fronts to the rear and put the spare on the front axle.

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
My plan is to buy this....

http://www.americanmuscle.com/performance-pack-black-19x85-2015.html

And then mounting a tire on it. As mentioned it WILL fit in the wheel well but will stick up some so it won't be flush. I'll keep it at home in the garage but if going on a road trip (or anywhere farther than work) I can toss that a tire iron, and a jack in the trunk.

At the same time a plug kit and a decent compressor will probably be sufficient for most tread punctures...so I'll have that in the trunk all the time.

-Emt1581

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
There is a spare tire kit that you can buy. It's around $200. Comes with a smaller tire and a jack. The problem with it is that is a smaller diameter and would chew up the clutch packs in a limited slip rear differential. Which means if you get a rear flat, you should move one of your fronts to the rear and put the spare on the front axle.
Thanks for the info. Do you have a link to the kit you're talking about?

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT