Sponsored

Mustang Side air curtains question.

jake-88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt premium automatic select shift
There is foam on the inside of my door hinge where the fender meets the door hinge..is this suppose to be there or should I take them out? I can reach I'm there and move it around...I dunno if it's there for a reason...
Sponsored

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Limited Edition, WW, Manual
Ford Engineers are pretty thorough and way smarter than us wrench heads. They have a reason for everything they do.
What? Where did you get that crazy idea.:headbonk:
Everyone knows if you spend $1500 post sale on a new air intake tube, filter, and exhaust system your gonna gain at least 50,000 miles of additional usable engine life, a 75-100 horsepower gain and an increase of at least 10 miles more per gallon of gas....unless of course if you run 110 octane race gas in a car tuned for 87-93 gas in which case your HP goes up by 250 (to 685HP) and your mileage increases by 20 mpg to 45 mpg...:lol:

bigdaddyspank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CompOrange GT Premium, 2013 GT500
Ok, the foam on the inside of your front fenders are for sound deadening and air flow noise. This also aids in water intrusion front the front wheels. Again, they are there for a reason like the Air Curtain Foam Blocks on the 20 inch wheel package. They are not a hiding place for Ford to get rid of some extra packing material......

Now, Mustang 1260, It is a debatable issue, the aftermarket MODs...The reasoning for Ford not to include all of the nifty Open Filter and Cold Air Boxes other than their factory forced air system is overall vehicle costs and fuel economy for the largest crowd of owners. Not to include the costs of premium parts will raise the cost of the vehicle manufacturing....TRUST ME, I KNOW....The 2013 Shelby GT500 I own was $66,900 MSRP because of the Track Pack Option, the RECARO Option and the SVT Performance Pack Option. All Aftermarket Boutique Items, Brembo, Bilstien, Recaro, Carbon Fiber DS, F1 Semi Slicks etc. But they were installed at SVT and carry a Ford Warranty.

Yeah you can mod your car to have higher HP, Louder exhaust etc., but you will be giving up on engine life for sure if it is not modified internally for higher Air Intake, More Fuel, More compression, less restriction. I don't know where your info is on an extra 50,000 miles of engine life, lol, but I think you may just be opining a little.

Oh by the way, you will also be giving up a warranty if you tune, boost, force air induction, open filter induction etc.....

So again, the engineers at Ford are smart, definitely know about the aftermarket products because they are also the engineers at Ford Racing who design the aftermarket parts....You bought their product like I did, that's also smart!

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Limited Edition, WW, Manual
Now, Mustang 1260,

I don't know where your info is on an extra 50,000 miles of engine life, lol, but I think you may just be opining a little.

So again, the engineers at Ford are smart, and you bought their product like I did, that's also smart!
Opining or sarcasm.......
Everyone knows that a new air filter is worth at least an extra 100 HP............

Ponykix

2015 Ecoboost Mustang PP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost PP
First off, the 20 inch wheels are no wider than the PP wheels, they are both 9".

Second, see the videos below of Ford Engineers explaining the function of the wheel air curtain. Should answer all questions in detail.

Remove the foam if you want what Ford Engineers intended..

[ame]

[ame]

Sponsored

bigdaddyspank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, but the offset on the 20 inch wheels is 1.00 more than on the 19's. The width may be the same, but the offset puts the 20's an inch more outboard past the openings. The video does not have the 20 inch wheels, they are the 19's.

But what do I know......

ponyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic PP Ecoboost, 2013 Volvo XC60r-Design
What's funny is Ford has yet to release the drag co-efficient on the Mustang. I tried to get it through Ford Service and the response was that it was proprietary information and was not being released. It would be nice to know.

Wblv17

older fart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.7HEMI Ram and 2015 eco boost race red pp
Sorry, but the offset on the 20 inch wheels is 1.00 more than on the 19's. The width may be the same, but the offset puts the 20's an inch more outboard past the openings. The video does not have the 20 inch wheels, they are the 19's.

But what do I know......
not much really. :frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty:

Ponykix

2015 Ecoboost Mustang PP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost PP
If you have the 20 inch wheel option, the side air curtain slots are blocked. This is because the 20 inch wheel and tires included in the package are wider than on all the other models with the 18 and 19 inch wheels. They extend past the openings therefore would actually block the airflow and cause more turbulence.
Originally you stated the wheel and tires were wider not the offset.

If you listen to the engineers in the video they explain that the air is directed through the curtain to the front (not the side) of the tire/rim to create vortices to allow better airflow around the car. He even mentions for all wheels which I would surmise he meant all sizes. The windtunnel even shows this airflow hit the front of the tire then going around. He never said that that opening should be blocked, even mentioned placing his hand through but I guess you missed that part too. But hey if Ford Engineers cant convince you, I'm sure wont be able to......

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
No foam here. I'm pretty sure that is PDI material your dealership forgot to take out. They wouldn't double side tape foam in there to drive at high speeds with.

Best guess is take it out, it wasn't meant to stay in there.

Sponsored

Wblv17

older fart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.7HEMI Ram and 2015 eco boost race red pp

But what do I know......
so let me get this right, you say the 20 inch wheels stick out a inch more past the fender then the 19's? That would be some hell of rock chips down the side!:frusty:

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
The side curtains don't use foam; they use charged gas cartridges like all of the rest of the airbags.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
so let me get this right, you say the 20 inch wheels stick out a inch more past the fender then the 19's? That would be some hell of rock chips down the side!:frusty:
Im pretty sure 1mm. The offsets are in mm

bigdaddyspank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, see that's what you get when you try to pass information to help others out.

You guys, (Wblv17 Blk2015GT) are absolutely right, you need to pull the foam out that was installed with two sided tape from the Side Air Curtain Ports, because they wanted them to stay in there only on the 20 inch wheel package models so that the dealer can remove them. Oh wait, if you have the Performance Package, or just a GT or Ecoboost Performance Package like you guys do, you couldn't possibly know, CAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE THE 20's............

You guys are awesome! said no one....
Sponsored