Mustang Hybrid (S650) Announced, Debuts in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Exactly. The only thing that is going to allow the mustang to significantly decrease in overall length is going to be chopping off 2 or 4 cylinders.
Maybe get rid of some of that massive overhang?
Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Maybe get rid of some of that massive overhang?
That overhang is a defining feature of the mustang. Chop it off and your styling cues will look like a compact car (or a camaro). And that's assuming there is room (crumple zones may not ever allow this).

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
That overhang is a defining feature of the mustang. Chop it off and your styling cues will look like a compact car (or a camaro). And that's assuming there is room (crumple zones may not ever allow this).
Will be nice if they move the front axle forward though.
I really dig the AMG GT side profile.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
It's possible - just unlikely right off. Remember, Ford still owns the Model E name (Elon wanted it so badly to add to his Model S and X lineup to complete the trifecta, resorting to the 3 instead).

After Elon took Ford to court and failed to get the Model E name from them, Ford mentioned that they had a full production electric vehicle in the works of that name. The M-E was to get 200+mi on a charge, and compete directly with the Model 3 and Volt.

This was as of August 2016, and it's really the last that we've heard of it.
Ford's electric vehicle is in the design studio as you speak. That's prob a 2019/2020 car.

Sponsored

TexArmageddon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Personally, I view Autonomous cars to be stuck in the same Limbo as Electric Cars.. Truth be told, I'd rather them just enforce cell phone companies to enact some type of software structure to help prevent distracted driving.

People can't even take care of normal cars.... I'm not going to expect that from them in an Autonomous car. Quit beating around the bush and tackle the source instead of enabling it.

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
People can't even take care of normal cars.... I'm not going to expect that from them in an Autonomous car. Quit beating around the bush and tackle the source instead of enabling it.
The reality is that it's likely that there is no going back. Diagnostic technology will further improve to the point that a dangerous vehicle will simply not be allowed in an autonomous infrastructure. Refuse to maintain your vehicle? It likely won't be able to leave your driveway.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Personally, I view Autonomous cars to be stuck in the same Limbo as Electric Cars.. Truth be told, I'd rather them just enforce cell phone companies to enact some type of software structure to help prevent distracted driving.
I've heard that the technology either already exists or is under development to deny cell service to the driver's seat without eliminating it from the entire car.

But that's not where the root of the problem lies. It's partly the belief that 24/7 availability and instant information access are always good things (they aren't) and partly an assumption that just because you can walk and chew gum at the same time you can combine driving with tasks that demand more mental attention than most people are willing to admit to.

The problem isn't the cars . . .

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The reality is that it's likely that there is no going back. Diagnostic technology will further improve to the point that a dangerous vehicle will simply not be allowed in an autonomous infrastructure. Refuse to maintain your vehicle? It likely won't be able to leave your driveway.
Which opens the door to having your car made unavailable to you - remotely and potentially very suddenly - for all manner of other reasons at any time. Be very careful what you wish for.

Norm

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
Which opens the door to having your car made unavailable to you - remotely and potentially very suddenly - for all manner of other reasons at any time. Be very careful what you wish for.

Norm
No car enthusiast is wishing for this transformation - it's simply the natural progression that our society is taking, as mentioned before, there is practically nothing that will stop the change from taking place. We can all agree that the majority of drivers on the road are the culprit for the declining safety and efficiency numbers of our infrastructure. The problem is that times have changed too much to make that u-turn and go back.

The other issue that is rarely talked about is that the number of vehicles on the roadways increases dramatically every year - in certain parts of the world, the increases are incredible. We simply cannot fund and engineer improvements quickly enough to keep up with this growing traffic volume - autonomous vehicles buys us a lot of time.

Regarding the potential to not have a vehicle available to you - that already exists in states that require annual inspections. The difference now is that a computer will be able to force a car to stay off the road, vs having the ability to buy a mechanic a case of beer and get a sticker. We all like to think that driving is a right, but the ability to put your vehicle on tax funded roads is anything but.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Suppose for people who are non-enthusiasts that they are denied use of their vehicle to go to the beach (air quality & traffic reasons) or go to the local shooting range (big-brother computer programmed to consider this an 'unacceptable' activity).

There are endless scenarios for which remote control of your vehicle could be used separate from any definition of whether you've done sufficient maintenance. Would it be used to force you to use the dealer or an established shop just to change the oil, when such places are known to occasionally short-fill and even install the oil filters improperly?

picture.jpg

Or screw up a wheel rotation by doubling up the centering rings on one wheel and leaving one wheel without any?

picture.jpg

Norm

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
I hear you, Norm - it's going to be a very different world.

FYI - where we're going in the future, your car won't need oil. :p

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
A clutch and a stick takes care of that :D...much harder to look at your phone while you rowin through gears lol.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I hear you, Norm - it's going to be a very different world.

FYI - where we're going in the future, your car won't need oil. :p
BACK TO THE FUTURE!!
back-to-the-future-2-5-1024x576.jpg

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase