Sponsored

Mustang Clutch

twiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I keep reading on these forums about owners changing the clutch spring, is the Mustangs clutch really that bad? Are there any Mustang owners on here who have owned or own a Fiesta (2013 model) as that's my current daily car and was wondering how different it might be to that, I don't have any issues with the Fiesta clutch.
Sponsored

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
No, its not bad.I have not done anything with mine yet.
All I have found is you do not have much 'feel' when changing 1st to 2nd to 3rd and it is difficult to master smooth changes at low speed.

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
It's certainly not undrivable, it's just hard to do so smoothly, precisely for this reason:

...All I have found is you do not have much 'feel' when changing 1st to 2nd to 3rd and it is difficult to master smooth changes at low speed.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
For ÂŁ20 well worth it, try it and see what you think. :)

Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Or just pull the spring for free.
Best advice, do this and then if you like it buy the spring which will reduce the pedal effort slightly from no spring installed and ensure the pedal always returns to the top. :)

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
After a few drives you'll be used to it, I didn't find the need to pull the spring.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I keep reading on these forums about owners changing the clutch spring, is the Mustangs clutch really that bad? Are there any Mustang owners on here who have owned or own a Fiesta (2013 model) as that's my current daily car and was wondering how different it might be to that, I don't have any issues with the Fiesta clutch.
You're in luck! I drive a 2011 Fiesta & the Mustang. Personally I don't find that the clutch is an issue at all. It seems perfectly fine to me.

The only thing I would say & it's something that others have mentioned, is that sometimes when you change from 1st to 2nd when you are putting your foot down, it can be a bit jumpy. But something you overcome once you get used to it. I certainly haven't considered changing the clutch. Hope that helps.

OP
OP

twiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
You're in luck! I drive a 2011 Fiesta & the Mustang. Personally I don't find that the clutch is an issue at all. It seems perfectly fine to me.

The only thing I would say & it's something that others have mentioned, is that sometimes when you change from 1st to 2nd when you are putting your foot down, it can be a bit jumpy. But something you overcome once you get used to it. I certainly haven't considered changing the clutch. Hope that helps.
So is the feel the same as your Fiesta? I remember when my Megane had a new clutch fitted I had to take it back for adjustment as I found it was to hard, when I let the clutch out you could really feel it pushing back up, I like the clutch to be light so if that's how it is then i'll be happy, I've heard though that the bite is rather high up on the Mustang is that true? My old Megane and Fiesta seen alike and the bite was low down.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
So is the feel the same as your Fiesta? I remember when my Megane had a new clutch fitted I had to take it back for adjustment as I found it was to hard, when I let the clutch out you could really feel it pushing back up, I like the clutch to be light so if that's how it is then i'll be happy, I've heard though that the bite is rather high up on the Mustang is that true? My old Megane and Fiesta seen alike and the bite was low down.
If I had to compare the 2 then yes, the Mustang is a bit firmer. But its barely noticeable to me. The bite is slightly higher on the Mustang...

Sponsored

Big_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback
Best advice, do this and then if you like it buy the spring which will reduce the pedal effort slightly from no spring installed and ensure the pedal always returns to the top. :)
Except where you pull the spring and the bottom half of the spring assembly fires off never to be found again :headbonk:
Sponsored