JustVman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hi all,

I have a 2018 GT with a stock MT-82 w/ 98k miles on it. This past weekend, I was driving my car when I went to downshift (always rev-matching to preserve synchros, etc.) when the car locked me out going from 6th -> 5th. I coasted it off the highway into a lot, where I I found that I was having trouble getting the car into gear without using a lot of force. In addition, shifting the car feels like moving a stick stuck in gravel, so my initial thought was that it was either some shift forks or synchros broken.

Took it to a dealer today where they quoted me just over $2,000 for a clutch slave and master cylinder replacement, as well as a brake fluid flush. The thing is, in the limited time that I drove the car home after this occurred, I didn't notice the clutch pedal getting stuck to the floor. The main issue is the grinding/clanking sound and a certain "ticking" sound coming from under the car.

The car isn't under warranty, so if this price seems unreasonable I think I will ideally take it somewhere else or worst case, do the replacement myself.

Had anyone had any experience with this issue/getting their cylinders replaced, and if so, what was the cost?

I will put some videos showing both the ticking sound coming from under the car as well as an example of the sound that occurs when shifting below:

"Ticking" sound coming from underneath car

4th -> 3rd Lockout of the gear & audible clanking

Sponsored

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
with the car in 1st or second, clutch on the floor, can a buddy still push your car with approx same effort as with the clutch out and trans in N? If not, then your clutch may be dragging - ie. cylinders not working right.

But I would first pump the clutch pedal (engine off) 30x and see if things change any.

Also quit giving dealer service departments money. Find a good independent shop, even better one that has a healthy amount of experience with Mustangs.

I can't hear any grinding in your 3 second video. Try again?

If this is gonna turn into $$$, might as well replace trans fluids, (if a syncro shattered you'll see debris) and get a new clutch and slave(s))

OP
OP
JustVman

JustVman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
with the car in 1st or second, clutch on the floor, can a buddy still push your car with approx same effort as with the clutch out and trans in N? If not, then your clutch may be dragging - ie. cylinders not working right.

But I would first pump the clutch pedal (engine off) 30x and see if things change any.
Car is still at dealer overnight. I will give this a try when I get it tomorrow.

Also quit giving dealer service departments money. Find a good independent shop, even better one that has a healthy amount of experience with Mustangs.

If this is gonna turn into $$$, might as well replace trans fluids, (if a syncro shattered you'll see debris) and get a new clutch and slave(s))
Definitely going to take the car back from them since it is no longer under warranty and take it to another reputable shop. I will probably end up doing all of the things you listed, but through another route than the dealership if the shop is citing the same fixes necessary.

Thanks!

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Are you mechanically inclined at all? If so and you’re willing to do the work yourself. I can talk you through how to remove the transmission and replace the slave cylinder. Just PM me and we’ll work through it together.

OP
OP
JustVman

JustVman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Are you mechanically inclined at all? If so and you’re willing to do the work yourself. I can talk you through how to remove the transmission and replace the slave cylinder. Just PM me and we’ll work through it together.
Hey sorry for the delayed response. This is something that I would ideally look at doing on my own, however I am away for college and simply don't have the time nor space to tackle it. Really appreciate the offer however!

Sponsored

OP
OP
JustVman

JustVman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
UPDATE

I reached out to Revolution Automotive up by Baltimore, who do a lot of work on Mustangs (the owner Adam works on Vaughn Gitten Jr.'s cars). I'm exploring doing a repair/upgrade at one time through them to put in a new MT-82 direct from Ford w/ a Mcleod RST/RXT for around 4k parts & labor.

The new trans would also come with a warranty. I feel it might make sense to go this route and essentially future-proof the car a little since I won't be adding any more power than E85/Headers/Tune to keep it daily-able

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I like your game.plan. just save yourself a grand on headers. Waste of money. Also you might consider a clutch brand Vengeance.
Talk to Lethal, I'm sure he can provide insight

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh I have 2 3.73 pumpkins
Sponsored