Sponsored

MPT Tune Officially out

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium ~2016 Mustang V6(sold)~
Noob question what number (good bad etc) should I be watching for on my sct x4 in regards to knock
Anything negative and the ECU will add timing which is good. Anything positive and it will retard the timing trying to get it back to 0, but as I understand it the engine will still be knocking if you see a constant positive number while still getting into the throttle which can add wear to the engine. 3 to 4 positive is ok from time to time but not under WOT and I believe the factory tune will see that much positive also. Anything over that and you want to get off the gas right then and there.

The skinny is Negative is more power, Positive it's retarding the timing and less power. High positive is doing damage if consistent or at WOT. Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong
Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Anything negative and the ECU will add timing which is good. Anything positive and it will retard the timing trying to get it back to 0, but as I understand it the engine will still be knocking if you see a constant positive number while still getting into the throttle which can add wear to the engine. 3 to 4 positive is ok from time to time but not under WOT and I believe the factory tune will see that much positive also. Anything over that and you want to get off the gas right then and there.

The skinny is Negative is more power, Positive it's retarding the timing and less power. High positive is doing damage if consistent or at WOT. Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong
Yes and no :D

I haven't dug into the Mustang's ECU yet (Went with MPT tune, but still plan on buying HPTuners in the Spring so I can dig in and start data logging, especially at the track) but it's safe to say that Ford's programming, in regards to knock, is on the safe side. I doubt MPT, or any other reputable tuner, pushes the limits on timing / spark advance on a tune that isn't done for that particular car on a dyno.

What does this mean? You can get false knock - the knock sensors literally look for a sound at a certain frequency - any sound / vibration that comes close to this can be "heard" as knock.

Regardless of all that, the ECU will pull timing (spark advance) when knock is detected.

Here's a pretty good explanation of knock / knock counts. It's talking about an EcoBoost - but the theory applies......

http://stratifiedauto.com/blog/unde...ons-in-your-high-performance-ecoboost-engine/

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
My tunes arrived! 9:18 AM. I'm at work so I'm hoping the day goes by fast. Very excited :D

gov cheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 051A Guard
starting with the 89-87PRX. I know that it doesn't add a lot of HP but the delivery of that HP is way better than stock. Put 37K on my car before the tune and now with only 50 tuned miles on the car I feel a big difference. I have to be more aware when applying power. I had the rear end kick out on me for the first time on a ramp i drive daily.

Ford really cut the nuts off the 3.7 to make the polish on the ECO-turd brighter.

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
Ford really cut the nuts off the 3.7 to make the polish on the ECO-turd brighter.
Yea for sure.

So I load up 93 PRX and get a CEL. I figure it'll go away, run across the street to Wendy's going slow because it's the "learn" period. CEL doesn't go away so I plug in the SCT and read it as a P068A. A little googling shows that this is more than likely harmless and I just clear the code. Head to the gas station to top off on 93. And at this point, I can't hold it in, I got to hoon it.

I'm impressed. The tune is very smooth. The SCT can tune was all over the place. The throttle was very sensitive and the engine would dip at like 2.5K and then just go nuts at 3K and above. It was very herky jerky. This MPT tune is smooth as silk. I peeled out of the gas station in 1st by accident. The way they tuned it for the 3.15s is about as good as it can get. I have a lot of mixed highway and street driving coming up this weekend and a fresh tank of 93 so we'll see how she does, but I'm a happy customer so far.

Sponsored

V6junkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 v6 ingot silver
One more stupid question what am I looking at on my x4 to read knock

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=25195]TURTL3[/MENTION] That's strange I never had a single CEL after flashing. After flashing the tune it automatically clears the codes. Did you return it to stock before flashing the MPT tune? Has the CEL come back since you cleared it?

V6junkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 v6 ingot silver
Like which reading on the screen am I looking at for the knock reading

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
[MENTION=25195]TURTL3[/MENTION] That's strange I never had a single CEL after flashing. After flashing the tune it automatically clears the codes. Did you return it to stock before flashing the MPT tune? Has the CEL come back since you cleared it?
@ChiTownStang26 Yea I went back to stock first. Apparently this is a random occurrence that happens sometimes and there's no reason why other than when the tune is relaying the electronics, sometimes the ECM thinks that it's not getting enough voltage. MPT even put out a video about it. The CEL has not returned. It did freak me out a bit but once I saw the MPT video and cleared the code, I did't even worry about it.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]jumVN2k4kb8[/MEDIA]"]

Sponsored

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like which reading on the screen am I looking at for the knock reading
Once your looking at the gauge screen press up or down highlight the one you want to change, hit the middle button and then change it to knock sensor. I hope this is what your asking lol

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=25195]TURTL3[/MENTION] Oh shit never knew that good to know though, now I won't be shitting bricks if it ever happens to me!

So now you got some more miles put down how you enjoying the tune?!?!

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
[MENTION=25195]TURTL3[/MENTION] Oh shit never knew that good to know though, now I won't be shitting bricks if it ever happens to me!

So now you got some more miles put down how you enjoying the tune?!?!
[MENTION=26033]ChiTownStang26[/MENTION] Yea so this weekend I put about 150 miles on her. I think it's finally out of the "relearn" period. I love everything about it. Pulls so much harder in first and second. I started it up last night to make a hardware store run and it was much more aggressive than it was all weekend hence why i think the "relearn" period is finally over. But in pretty much every gear it's smoother and pulls harder. I honestly don't know if I want 3.55 gears now. The 93 PRX pairs well with the 3.15s. Money well spent.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=26033]I honestly don't know if I want 3.55 gears now. The 93 PRX pairs well with the 3.15s. Money well spent.
I'm near Richmond. I'll give you a ride in mine with the PRX 93 Tune, 3.55 gears, MBRP Catback and just added shorty headers.

Bet you dinner you'll want gears :D

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
I'm near Richmond. I'll give you a ride in mine with the PRX 93 Tune, 3.55 gears, MBRP Catback and just added shorty headers.

Bet you dinner you'll want gears :D
Bet you'd win free dinner lol

I guess 3.55s are inevitable, but I might take you up on the test drive. CJPP has a good price on a brand new pumpkin, but I'm going to hunt around for a used one.
Sponsored