Sponsored

MMR OPG Install Orientation

jashton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Can somebody please verify the correct orientation for MMR oil pump gears when installing them back into the housing? I don't know why MMR doesn't provide this information.

If the oil pump housing is on a table in front of you and you are putting the gears in should the MMR logos be facing towards you the installer?

Thanks,

Jeff
Sponsored

Evo_Rob

Mmm... Boost...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
The logo should be facing you while the plate is off and pump is on the table, that's all that matters really.

OP
OP

jashton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
The logo should be facing outward from the engine, so if the pump is on the table, the logo would not be shown.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50077&highlight=OPG
https://www DOT svtperformance DOT com/forums/threads/how-to-mmr-billet-oil-pump-gears-install-a-few-pics.994775/
I'm pretty sure it's the opposite. I used that thread as a reference since MMR doesn't provide anything. If you install it into the housing towards you the installer the MMR logo would be pointed inward toward you the engine.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Orientation

Yall found a taper to the OPG or something?
I thought as long as any OPG gear set markings on inner and outer gear were both same side as thats how they are checked for clearance then its good?
Pump housing doesnt have a taper and pretty sure gear set doesnt so how could it matter?:doh:

Or is this an issue with the muffler bearings, caframpstand and benzene ring all lining up and not binding?;)

Sponsored

OP
OP

jashton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Yall found a taper to the OPG or something?
I thought as long as any OPG gear set markings on inner and outer gear were both same side as thats how they are checked for clearance then its good?
Pump housing doesnt have a taper and pretty sure gear set doesnt so how could it matter?:doh:

Or is this an issue with the muffler bearings, caframpstand and benzene ring all lining up and not binding?;)
I like to go off of facts, especially with something of such importance. MMR doesn't provide any information besides a link to SVTperformance that says they have to go in a certain direction.

Evo_Rob

Mmm... Boost...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'm pretty sure it's the opposite. I used that thread as a reference since MMR doesn't provide anything. If you install it into the housing towards you the installer the MMR logo would be pointed inward toward you the engine.
Yep, you're right. I can't be held accountable for what my fingers type since my brain says otherwise. :doh: it's like trying to tighten/loosen a bolt that's facing away from you and you keep undoing your intended work ;)

OP
OP

jashton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Yep, you're right. I can't be held accountable for what my fingers type since my brain says otherwise. :doh: it's like trying to tighten/loosen a bolt that's facing away from you and you keep undoing your intended work ;)
No worries man! Hopefully this thread helps somebody else out in the future. The install was cake besides slicing my fingers up putting in the pickup tube bolt.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I like to go off of facts, especially with something of such importance. MMR doesn't provide any information besides a link to SVTperformance that says they have to go in a certain direction.
I hear ya.:thumbsup: When you got something apart and focused on not trashing your own motor you want a straight answer. The link def shows them both facing a certain way. Appologies, I meant to decrease stress not be flippant. Its only my opinion they need to be facing same way as a higher priority vs forward or aft facing on block. Basically saying you should be ok and not stress fore/aft as much as same side. :cheers:

I worked in a machine shop thru school and most precision parts had some reference or indexing marks for a reason of how the metrology is check. Youd have to ask MMR or TSS if thats true for their respective gears, but I suspect its the case.

Just saying [MENTION=8058]MRR[/MENTION] @TSS likely same side is #1 priority and fore/aft is likely cosmetic. TSS says they check these as matched sets and I suspect the MMR ones are also seeing how crucial they are.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mod Mustang Racing

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modularmotorsportsracing.com
Vehicle(s)
Worlds Fastest & Only 5 second Coyote
The gears can be installed in either direction. The problem is that alot of people call and ask which way due to the logo, so, in an effort to give some direction we advise that they be installed with the logo facing you as they are placed into the housing, but, again, it makes no difference when the gears are brand new, the gears are machined to perfection in both directions. The main difference is once they have been run it is important to put them back in the same way and that is how we install them when we assemble them into complete oil pumps.

Last edited: