OP
Genxer

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
With this thread revived, I'll update you guys. The replacement hose that Mishimoto sent to me is still working fine after 9+ months, with no signs of leaking.
Sponsored

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Metallic V6, 1970 mustang convertible
I have written Mishimoto about the problem and am actually second guessing getting a replacement tank (will discuss this option with them on Monday)...however, in the meantime, I have installed a Doorman replacement tank to tie me over.

After looking at where and how the failure occurred, I am beginning to have serious doubts about the quality control process undergone at the factory where these are manufactured. I am just glad I spotted the problem and I am now thinking that since I have this doorman tank installed, I will just get a cover for it and leave it alone.

Another thing I have noticed is that the plastic expansion tank provides for slightly (appx 3°) cooler temperatures and/or it takes longer for the thermostat to open. This is probably because the aluminum acts as a heat sync and heats up as the hotter coolant circulates through the car...thus keeping the coolant hotter for a longer period of time.

supared

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP 6R80 VMP Gen 3 E85 Lund Tune
Had mine on for just over a year now and maybe 3-5k miles. Went back to my garage after a short drive and found coolant on the floor. This hose has been turning brown for a while but is now leaking. I also have super tight threads. You need a wrench to get the cap in and off. It looks amazing on my car, but I'm Disappointed with the product.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I also have super tight threads. You need a wrench to get the cap in and off.
It's not the threads, it's the rubber o-ring on the cap. I have a Moroso tank and have to use a little silicone grease on the o-ring when putting it back on.

supared

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP 6R80 VMP Gen 3 E85 Lund Tune
It's not the threads, it's the rubber o-ring on the cap. I have a Moroso tank and have to use a little silicone grease on the o-ring when putting it back on.
Thanks for the input. On the stock tank, it screws right on and off with ease. Even with the O-ring removed, I have to use gloves and excessive force to get the cap on and off. It can be done then, but it would cut my hands without the gloves and is very difficult. Put the o-ring back in and you need pliers. These should have been resolved in Design. Both the threads are too tight and the inner diameter of the neck finish where the o-ring contacts may be too tight. It should go on and off like stock. That is my expectation as a customer. On the product page it states "Fits with stock overflow tank cap." There is no fine print that says it will take pliers to put it on or take it off. That cannot be acceptable functionality. I'm a Mechanical Engineer (4 years Navy, 5 years college/B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, and 8 years subsequent design + program management experience). If I designed this neck finish, you wouldn't need grease, gloves, and pliers.
Sponsored