Sponsored

MBRP Race exhaust

hotrod33647

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt PP
The drone is killing me. Is there anything I can do to (replace muffler) to eliminate the drone or would I need to look at a different cat back exhaust. Hoping to keep it but if I can't would like suggestion on another exhaust. I like the old school deep tone but no drone. Thank you for your input.
Sponsored

GT Nate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium
I have the street version and no drone, but it's not as loud. You could get axle back street and keep the same h pipe.

jvm051

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang GT base with 3.55's
Apparently nobody reads the several threads about this exhaust having drone, yet still purchases to find out...It Drones. It's a race exhaust. Try and weld in some resonators and see if it helps.

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
If you want a loud, aggressive exhaust...but no drone, go with Borla ATAK or Corsa Extreme.
I personally like the Borla S-Type (w/ X-pipe).

For a cheaper option...the Roush axleback with stock resonator sounds pretty good.

[ame]

Sponsored

Meraki Autoworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.merakiautoworks.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
You could weld in some resonators. Alternately, and I swear this sounds crazy but it's legit, if you rotate the tips 45* so they match the curve of the valence, it drones less. (and looks cool)

Like so:

image4_zpsixdc4gf6.jpg
Wonder if this really works.. It looks very nice flush like that.

-Josh

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Wonder if this really works.. It looks very nice flush like that.

-Josh
Try running the MBRP race with no tips at all, you'll want to ventilate your skull within minutes. I'm no sound engineer but it seems that the bumper catches the exhaust sound pulses and directs them back at the car. I specifically adjusted my tips to be past the bumper all around and it changes it drastically, although mine is an EB not a GT it should still be similar.

I'm considering some options of welding in a resonator or maybe changeing the mufflers and just using the piping as a template for something custom.

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GT PP Competition Orange
Quit lugging the car in 6th gear. I have the race and the only time I hear the drone is when I lug it up a hill in 6th. Stop doing this.

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Drone sucks,sell it and get a set up that is better engineered .
Been there done that .

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Quit lugging the car in 6th gear. I have the race and the only time I hear the drone is when I lug it up a hill in 6th. Stop doing this.
Last time I pointed out to people that 2K in 6th is the wrong gear to be in for those RPMs and speed, that most any exhaust will droan in that situation, they all shit their pants in revolt. Next lower gear will pull more RPMs and keep you out of that dreaded 2K range, just because the car runs and goes down the street in 6th @ 55mph doesn't mean that that's the correct gear for that situation.

Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I have the street version and no drone, but it's not as loud. You could get axle back street and keep the same h pipe.
This is probably the least invasive way to handle it. From my own interest I looked at resonators added to the H-Pipe and didn't find much that wasn't basically ripping out the entire midpipe and starting over.

Of note with the Street system though, and it's all relative what you like or don't like but it's extremely "raspy", like obnoxiously raspy over 3K and part throttle.

16_DIB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hector
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Last time I pointed out to people that 2K in 6th is the wrong gear to be in for those RPMs and speed, that most any exhaust will droan in that situation, they all shit their pants in revolt. Next lower gear will pull more RPMs and keep you out of that dreaded 2K range, just because the car runs and goes down the street in 6th @ 55mph doesn't mean that that's the correct gear for that situation.

THIS!!!

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
A bit off topic - has anyone switched the H-pipe for an "X"? If so what's your opinion as I'm pondering this mod....

willyms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
If price is not a limiting factor, Corsa exhaust has a nice loud sound without the irritating drone.

panic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Drop its H mid pipe and bolt in an X pipe in its place, it reduces slightly the drone and smooths the engine revving beyond 5k rpms...
Sponsored