Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Base w/ Performance Package
I agree, lets keep this on topic please. That tends to happen a lot on this forum. I'm all about conversation if we can keep it related.

I posted a video on the facebook group yesterday "Ford Ecoboost Mustang". I will be posting a better one today once I finalizing the cam tuning and hit our goal. Link to the first video is HERE. You might have to be a member of that group to see it. Unfortunately I had flat foot shifting setup and it was calibrated for the stock turbo so there is a little bit of hesitation between each shift.

What makes the car sound totally different, many things actually. First is the "manifold" that we have made to adapt the turbo to the head. It dumps the factory twin scroll design and goes from 2 tiny ports to 1 2.5" port. Which leads me into my next reason, open scroll. Going from twin to single scroll allows the exhaust to travel in a different way which in turn changes the exhaust note. It sounds MUCH better than the factory turbo, it is almost astonishing how different it sounds.

bigspoondude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Scion xB
I agree, lets keep this on topic please. That tends to happen a lot on this forum. I'm all about conversation if we can keep it related.

I posted a video on the facebook group yesterday "Ford Ecoboost Mustang". I will be posting a better one today once I finalizing the cam tuning and hit our goal. Link to the first video is HERE. You might have to be a member of that group to see it. Unfortunately I had flat foot shifting setup and it was calibrated for the stock turbo so there is a little bit of hesitation between each shift.

What makes the car sound totally different, many things actually. First is the "manifold" that we have made to adapt the turbo to the head. It dumps the factory twin scroll design and goes from 2 tiny ports to 1 2.5" port. Which leads me into my next reason, open scroll. Going from twin to single scroll allows the exhaust to travel in a different way which in turn changes the exhaust note. It sounds MUCH better than the factory turbo, it is almost astonishing how different it sounds.
Don't need to be a member to see it. Seems to push the sound more towards an Evo or MS6 note, at least from what you can hear from the video. Fun watching that turbo hit and the needles peg.

BigCatDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
It appears that even with an upgraded turbo, the wtq stats to drop almost off right away. The GT curve seems more consistent. Is there any hope the the Ecoboost can have a similar curve or is it just an inherent thing with turbo cars?

BigCatDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
"I posted a video on the facebook group yesterday "Ford Ecoboost Mustang". I will be posting a better one today once I finalizing the cam tuning and hit our goal. Link to the first video is HERE. You might have to be a member of that group to see it. Unfortunately I had flat foot shifting setup and it was calibrated for the stock turbo so there is a little bit of hesitation between each shift."

Wow that video sound awesome! Sound almost like a jet fighter taking off at times. Way cool! Thanks Adam!

Last edited:

Sponsored

BigCatDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
"ok, I listened to it again, maybe what I was hearing was the dyno?" In any case cool!

FreddyG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 wheels and a seat

The video sounded Great! I liked how the BOV sounded between gears. It's kind of like a warning signal for other cars to back off because you're packing something under the hood! Nice job! :cheers:
The turbo comes on pretty strong once it spools up and looks like it has quite a lot of breath up top too. IT should make for a strong runner!

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
The video that I just saw (your link)sounded Great! I liked how the BOV sounded between gears. It's kind of like a warning signal for other cars to back off because you're packing something under the hood! Nice job! :cheers:
Sorry to be stupid, but is that with the bigger turbo on it or just you finishing up your tune? If so, what did that put down as far as power goes.
Once again, Nice job! :cheers:
Upgraded turbo. 5858 Journal bearing, I think we might switch to the PTE 5862 for our kits to get torque to hang on a bit longer.

bigspoondude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Scion xB
It appears that even with an upgraded turbo, the wtq stats to drop almost off right away. The GT curve seems more consistent. Is there any hope the the Ecoboost can have a similar curve or is it just an inherent thing with turbo cars?
The reason we have GT-like torque curve is due to it being a twin-scroll tiny turbo. It spins up insanely fast and has a broad mid-range but no real bite. Upgrading the turbo size increases the turbine size which will mean it takes longer to start producing tq.

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
Maybe with other peoples big turbo kits, our's holds 370tq from 3900rpms to 5500rpms, then tapers from 370tq to 320tq at redline. I do know the dynograph you are speaking of and the torque looks like a mountain. Not ideal at all.

I haven't posted our dynograph just yet, but I will be doing so today.

Sponsored

BigCatDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
bigspoondude, to your point and Adam's info on the new turbos, the PTE 5858/5862, and "twin-scroll tiny turbo. It spins up insanely fast"
Im understanding this is lag time? If so, how much more lag do PTE 5858/5862 create in order to make more power? Is it noticeable? Is there anything that can be to to make is spool faster?

BigCatDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Maybe with other peoples big turbo kits, our's holds 370tq from 3900rpms to 5500rpms, then tapers from 370tq to 320tq at redline. I do know the dynograph you are speaking of and the torque looks like a mountain. Not ideal at all.

I haven't posted our dynograph just yet, but I will be doing so today.
Adam, you a great salesperson. Every quote by you pushes me closer to getting an ecoboost and ultimately $$ in MAP's pockets;):)

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
bigspoondude, to your point and Adam's info on the new turbos, the PTE 5858/5862, and "twin-scroll tiny turbo. It spins up insanely fast"
Im understanding this is lag time? If so, how much more lag do PTE 5858/5862 create in order to make more power? Is it noticeable? Is there anything that can be to to make is spool faster?
The bigger the turbo, the longer the lag. On the 5858 with big exhaust housing (.82A/R) full boost (24.5psi) is 3,900rpm's starting the pull at 2,000rpms. The stock turbo full spool was 3,000rpms (22psi). So there is a 900rpm difference between the two. The 900rpm added spool up time is worth power and torque to redline.

bluestang50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150, 2020 Explorer ST, 1990 Mustang GT turbo
Awesome update! I have been waiting to decide between a 5.0, ecoboost stang, or Focus RS. Yall definitely have me strongly leaning towards a ecoboost stang or the Focus RS now.

Surtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
wow the new sound you guys got with that turbo kit is awesome. Definitely gonna have to get one whenever they are up for sale.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.