Maintenance Post HPDE

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
FYI: If you run in Sport Mode you are going to want to change that rear end fluid. Trans fluid was actually ok, Brake fluid was toast as well. Ford recommends all fluids after each track event.

I think the Torsen fighting the Stability control is hard on the fluid. It's also hard on the rear brakes so I'm going to try going Nanny free next time.
Sponsored

M3Convert

American Muscle Noob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
The brake fluid was toast? The brake pedal was spongy next day? How did you know? It was dark when you tested it?

TIA

OP
OP
Tim Hilliard

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
The brake fluid was toast? The brake pedal was spongy next day? How did you know? It was dark when you tested it?

TIA
No fluid was much darker, never a hint of fade, no issues with the brakes other than my rear rotors look rough, metal stuck to my drain plug in axle.

It's why I bought a toy with a warranty and had Ford do the first service (3K) and fill it with OEM fluids. I wouldn't say the fluid was toast but the car was built in November and sat through a NE winter and the brakes got some use at Thompson. Preventative maintenance only.

I also had my factory alignment specs checked before I start messing with it and everything is very close, def. need to add a degree of camber up front.

I'm going to Palmer on the 4th so I didn't want any surprises :D

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
Replacing fluids after severe heat cycles is a no brainier. Even after drag racing at least do the oil, track days should warrant changing all fluids in the drivetrain. I'm glad to see you do this.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Ford recommends all fluids after each track event.
Could you please post where you found this information? I have been looking through my owner's manual and have not found it yet.

Not that I don't trust you, I just want to read the actual statements from Ford. For instance, I changed the oil prior to the HPDE, and my oil life monitor says 95% afterwards. According to the manual the oil life monitor is supposed to account for driving conditions, so I'm not sure whether I'm just wasting money if I change it again, or if Ford is giving me conflicting information.

Of course it was about 40 degrees on my track day, so the heat cycling of some of the fluids may not have been very severe.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tim Hilliard

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
It's on like the first or second page.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I took the car to a dealer today and told them I was just in a HPDE and to check all the fluids and replace if needed. They just did an oil change. They said everything else is fine. I was pleasantly surprised. Not too often when you give someone a chance to charge you for more things that they tell you it's not all needed.

It's on like the first or second page.
Huh, I definitely don't see it there. I looked all the way through to page 27 from the beginning of the manual and don't see it.

OP
OP
Tim Hilliard

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
I took the car to a dealer today and told them I was just in a HPDE and to check all the fluids and replace if needed. They just did an oil change. They said everything else is fine. I was pleasantly surprised. Not too often when you give someone a chance to charge you for more things that they tell you it's not all needed.

Huh, I definitely don't see it there. I looked all the way through to page 27 from the beginning of the manual and don't see it.

Sorry I was at the track when I replied. It's physically page 12. :)
HPDE Maint.jpg

OP
OP
Tim Hilliard

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
My dealer told me my transmission fluid was actually fine. I might skip that one next time.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Sorry I was at the track when I replied. It's physically page 12. :)
Thanks! That's a big help. I will do the trans and rear diff fluid or have it done. At the very least I will discuss it with the dealer that did the maintenance and make sure they will back me up if I ever have a claim.

Sponsored

M3Convert

American Muscle Noob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
Swapping the driveline fluids every track day is a bit conservative...oil yes, especially with low end oil, but tranny and diff every time is a lot, especially if you get a dealer to do it each time.

Budwise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
You better pray the dealer doesnt void your warranty for HPDE. You usually wanna keep that kinda thing to yourself...

That said, changing all fluids after an HPDE is a waste of money and fluid. Run good fluids like Amsoil and you'll be fine. If you went for a full weekend of HPDE on Motocraft 5w20 however, then I'd be a little concerned.

OP
OP
Tim Hilliard

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
You better pray the dealer doesnt void your warranty for HPDE. You usually wanna keep that kinda thing to yourself...

That said, changing all fluids after an HPDE is a waste of money and fluid. Run good fluids like Amsoil and you'll be fine. If you went for a full weekend of HPDE on Motocraft 5w20 however, then I'd be a little concerned.
Well thank's for the concern but seeing that the VP of my dealership is an SCCA/NHRA license holder who regulary critques my track video I'm really not worried. Also all my fluids were the factory fill and 6 months old. They are more likely to raise a red flag with non factory fluids than with non-competitive use. It's a sports car :doh:

OP
OP
Tim Hilliard

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
Swapping the driveline fluids every track day is a bit conservative...oil yes, especially with low end oil, but tranny and diff every time is a lot, especially if you get a dealer to do it each time.
Technically Ford only recommends engine and trans fluid after every event, rear axle every 12 hours.