Sponsored

Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act?

l2frankie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
so people are throwing this around like its going to save you from voiding warranty cause of mods. has anyone actually had a time when they had to mention it from a denied warranty?
Sponsored

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
The funny thing about that is, if they deny a warranty claim, it may still be up to you to prove your mods didn't cause the failure. Can you afford to battle ford in a legal dispute?

Often times, it's nice to throw that around but we must be realistic.

Surtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
It can't hurt to bring it up if they try to deny a warranty claim, it might make them rethink their decision, if they do try to pursue it anyways then it might be time to just bite the repair bill because a legal battle would probably end up being way more costly.

jared89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt pp
The Act Provides for Attorney Fees for Any Breach of an
Implied Warranty, Even If There Is No Written Warranty
Unlike UCC Article 2, which provides for no attorney
fees or costs, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act provides for costs,
expenses, and attorney fees for a prevailing consumer.2
Despite
a common misconception to the contrary, these remedies are
available where a seller breaches an implied warranty, even if the
seller offers no written or express warranty.3

Whether there is an implied warranty and a breach of that
implied warranty is a matter of state law. But, once that breach
is established under state law, then Magnuson-Moss provides a
superior remedy to that found under the UCC. This means that
consumer attorneys
should almost always
add Magnuson-Moss
counts in an implied
warranty case.
But dont think if you put a blower on your or a tune you will still a warranty. This is more for say you put a cat back on (seems the most common) and your transmission fails. They cant say we wont warranty this you have a cat back. Or if you do your own oil changes. Also i think the burden is on the dealer to prove you modification caused the failure.

Sponsored

jared89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt pp
If you get denied by one dealer can you go to another? Or is documented in Ford's database?
Thats a good question. I pretty sure they can red flag your car by the vin, but don't know what the criteria is.

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thats a good question. I pretty sure they can red flag your car by the vin, but don't know what the criteria is.

They cannot void your whole warranty due to any mod or mods.

You can bet your ass you would never win if you have a blower or even just a tune and drop a piston or break a rear end, but they can't not fix your power window for same mods.

Surtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
It's like trying to deny a broken seat adjuster fix by saying "nope we can't fix that, you have an aftermarket exhaust"

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Yes they keep track of all issues via your vin. The next dealer would see the previous visit and any and all notes. Pretty useful for you and Ford when you're trying to get something problematic taken care of or if you move.

50 year GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium 50yr PP
I took on Yamaha Corp back in 2006. I had a New Road star Silverado with issues of it running on one cylinder. They claimed the aftermarket exhaust voided the warranty and caused the problem. We proved the exhaust was not of a lesser quality or operational design, and won- in Wi here we get 2x what we paid for the vehicle and accessories, plus attorney costs. A nice $28k tax free paycheck for me, and $25k for the lawyer!

Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
It depends what part. A catback is will be VERY tough for them to prove harmed anything. A tune, yes, much more correlative to an engine problem because you re-wrote the Ford computer to different specs. Headers are probably between a catback and tune; more of a 50/50. Harder to prove, but still a good possibility because the O2 sensors are housed in the headers so an engine problem can probably be proved to be related to the problem. Engines are tough, one little thing can relate to a lot of other things in an engine and they can say caused the problem.

Sometime like a window not going down or a switch in the interior not working couldn't be denied repair.

But really, I'm more concerned with the engine due to high cost of repairs than say a window not going down or a broken switch that may cost all of $100 to replace popping off an interior problem. An engine repair that they have to disassemble or pull can easily cost in the thousands very quickly; or worse $6000+ to replace.

That is why I'm sticking to a catback alone for now. Car is only 4 months old and 1500 miles still. (And I'm a lawyer and could fight my own battle, but really who WANTS to be in a lawsuit?)

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Modding a car with a factory warranty is always risky! You have to trust your car your engine and your complete powertrain when you are modding your car! But i know its so tempting that with a little bit of cash you can get so much more! Hack a tune by its own nowadays can give you 20+ hp who wouldn't want that right?

But the question is if its this easy and risk free to get more why Ford is not offerring these from the factory? If Ford wants to contribute to after market parts then why not include certain names and products under their wing and still have the factory warranty with no hassle? We know that the aftermarket has been there for decades now!

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Interesting, the dealer I have been in talks with about a GT or GT350 was very upfront that given that nature of the vehicle. Unless the modifications grossly changed factory parameters, they would warranty it because they had to prove your modifications caused the failure.

I am not sure if its because we are in Michigan and the cars are built 30 miles from here or they are just very customer oriented with these cars or what. The reasons I was inquiring was to shed weight by using GT350 AL bumpers and other light weighted components on a GT.

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting, the dealer I have been in talks with about a GT or GT350 was very upfront that given that nature of the vehicle. Unless the modifications grossly changed factory parameters, they would warranty it because they had to prove your modifications caused the failure.

I am not sure if its because we are in Michigan and the cars are built 30 miles from here or they are just very customer oriented with these cars or what. The reasons I was inquiring was to shed weight by using GT350 AL bumpers and other light weighted components on a GT.

If that's the case then stick with them. However, if something happens, ford could elect to send a representative engineer to check it out. Then it could very well be out of your dealerships hands. That said, I haven't heard of any unexplained get failures yet so it's seeming to be a stable, strong motor. Which is good and bad. It's good in that chances of a problem are lower but bad in that if you happen to blow one, it may very well garner greater scrutiny from mother ford.

Mr Monte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Premium
It's like trying to deny a broken seat adjuster fix by saying "nope we can't fix that, you have an aftermarket exhaust"
I wouldn't put it passed some dealers. The extra hp from the exhaust mod put extra stress on the seat adjuster.:D

The dealership I bought my Challenger SRT8 from was ok with exhaust mods & aftermarket tuning. They just asked me to put the stock tune back in when I had service done so they didn't overwrite my tune by accident.

My local Chevy dealership used to be mod friendly but GM put a stop to that.

My personal experience with Ford from my stock cars is too many "thats normal" or "know issue but no fix yet" so I can't imagine them being mod friendly.
Sponsored