Sponsored

Mach 1 S550 Mustang First Video

DruidBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
This is definitely a good point. I'm just hopeful for SOMETHING ever since a week ago, some ford rep in an online chat (which Bullitt brought up, they shouldn't really have that info) replied "you never know ;)" when I asked about the possibility of a 2017 Mach 1 or if a refresh was coming soon. They totally could've been messing with me, but that shot my hopes up even though it's minimal haha
Which one were they saying you never know to ? The refresh question or the Mach 1? I think it's safe to say a refresh is coming for 18 so not much of a give away for them to wink at that.
Sponsored

jman3350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1 in Torch Red w/ Auto
Which one were they saying you never know to ? The refresh question or the Mach 1? I think it's safe to say a refresh is coming for 18 so not much of a give away for them to wink at that.
I specifically asked about a mach 1 refresh.

yyBnW2p.png
here's the chat. I didn't think about emailing the transcripts and I only took this screenshot to joke with my friend how they were messing with me.

Blacked out the name for privacy, in case that matters.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
So, I gotta ask,.......what's the big deal about this Mach 1? The car in the video looks very similar to the GT PP car,..no?? Maybe this is just the early stages, but I assume it's going to have some performance upgrades and Mach 1 emblems to stand out from other Mustang cars?
Can someone please specify? Thanks.

Sponsored

jman3350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
So, I gotta ask,.......what's the big deal about this Mach 1? The car in the video looks very similar to the GT PP car,..no?? Maybe this is just the early stages, but I assume it's going to have some performance upgrades and Mach 1 emblems to stand out from other Mustang cars?
Can someone please specify? Thanks.
For the 2003/2004 Mach 1's, they had a 4.6L V8 32V motor rather than the 4.6L V8 16V motor. It also has the shaker hood with a ram air intake. iirc it was more of a "track" type car that was between the GT and Terminator Cobra. I'm not too well versed on all the differences even though I own a mach, but I'd definitely love to know, especially with the older ones.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
It's a Mach1 ...it will be a package like the (Bullitt/Cal Special)...Coyote...tweaked...you'll finally have your PP auto...and whats a Mach without a shaker.
Soooo, you mentioned Bullitt...does that mean you're assuming that package will be coming too? :)

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I guess the question is - what made him so sure of it? There really is nothing to corroborate it, so it remains his speculation. If the speculation is based on something definitive, fine. Perhaps he'll share what that is. But so far, there's nothing of the sort. As a coworker says, "without data, you're just another person with an opinion". The photographer's opinion is fine, but to me isn't worth more than my own, since at least I know what own speculation is based on. My own digging seems to contradict what the photographer is suggesting, so I'm reluctant to continue drinking that koolaide...
The main reason I think everyone is thinking this is a Mach 1 is that those "insiders" seem to be expecting it. The people that run this site made this very sub-forum we're talking on because I think they got some credible info to expect it. I mean the story on the homepage (and this thread) are both titled Mach 1 mule like it's a done deal, which makes me think it is, even though I personally agree it could possibly be just a mechanical enhancement for all 2018 GTs.

DruidBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
I specifically asked about a mach 1 refresh.
Definitely hinting /messing with you (is there a difference?:)) but I agree these aren't the type of people that would have that kind of info. They could be going off info on the forum for all we know.

I seen enough well placed sources to believe it is real. I just don't know if THIS is it. Based on what Topnotch posted if it is true it sounds like it will not offer much in the way of real performance (esp powertrain) upgrades over a GT PP so they might be able to do most of the testing on the current body which is what we see here.

DruidBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
I personally agree it could possibly be just a mechanical enhancement for all 2018 GTs.
You really think the 2018 GT is going to have quad tipped exhaust and sound like that from the factory not to mention the chin spoiler? This has signs of a high performance version or FPP parts package of some sort imho.

Sponsored

jman3350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
Definitely hinting /messing with you (is there a difference?:)) but I agree these aren't the type of people that would have that kind of info. They could be going off info on the forum for all we know.

I seen enough well placed sources to believe it is real. I just don't know if THIS is it. Based on what Topnotch posted if it is true it sounds like it will not offer much in the way of real performance (esp powertrain) upgrades over a GT PP so they might be able to do most of the testing on the current body which is what we see here.
Yeah the thing was they were going back and asking other people for my other information (When the 2017 config tool will be available, if grabber blue would be available for sure for the GT's, when the 2017's are dropping on lots, etc) and that's what happened.

In case anyone is wondering: 2017 config tool was scheduled to drop late april 2016 (could happen very early may) and the cars should be arriving on lots by end of June (they just said June but I'm speculating towards the end) and grabber blue is definitely available :)

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
You really think the 2018 GT is going to have quad tipped exhaust and sound like that from the factory not to mention the chin spoiler? This has signs of a high performance version or FPP parts package of some sort imho.
The regular Camaro SS has the dual mode quad tip exhaust as a factory option, why couldn't the regular Mustang GT? A Ford Racing chin spoiler isn't anything crazy either.

DruidBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
I'm not saying there is anything exotic about any of those things but the Camaro has always had more aggressive features set with a corresponding higher price tag relative to the Mustang. That's just not the strategy Ford has had. They aim to be the price leader and leave a good deal on the table for the aftermarket to clean up. This formula works for the vast majority of buyers.

They could change that strategy but I'd be surprised to see these offered in the base GT and if they do we should all prepare for a significant price hike.

Madlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
"Presumed to be" a Mach1 prototype mule? By whom? Especially for wheels which would give away so much of the looks, whatever gets thrown onto a mule has more to do with whatever spare set happens to be laying around with enough tread to be street legal. This could be testing any of a number of Ford Performance parts using a car that already had a set of Sport axle backs which themselves may have been tested a year or longer ago. The spoiler may have been a rejected concept which conveniently muddies the waters for the photo happy who het their jollies by trying to scoop what Ford spends unholy sums to develop and keep under wraps until it decides to go to market.

Nobody can know what the hell this may or may not be. Given emissions certification costs, it's not likely to include any significant powertrain improvements or differences, presuming it's testing something significant to begin with.

A Mach 1 wouldn't likely be more than an appearance and/or option package, with most having a stronger recollection of the modern homage than the original. Especially with more recent, and far more lucrative and well-known sub-models to reintroduce on the S550 platform, I'm not convinced of how strongly the market is clamoring for a factory dress up option.
Sponsored