Long Tube Headers question

Joe5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP 2018
Hey guys I have a 2020 mustang GT A10 PP. I’m pretty green in the area and keep getting different answers. I’m looking at having LTHs installed. Is this a possibility without changing the stock exhaust/mid pipe? Or would I need to change the mid pipe, catback etc? Sorry if it’s a stupid question, thanks in advance for help guys!
Sponsored

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I believe stainless power headers offer a factory hook up
So do Texas speed. I have catted Texas Speed and it hooks directly up to the factory resonator. I do have a Borla system but it is converted to the factory hook up...

431014441_255947250900193_3243282264861274199_n.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Joe5oh

Joe5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP 2018
So do Texas speed. I have catted Texas Speed and it hooks directly up to the factory resonator. I do have a Borla system but it is converted to the factory hook up...

431014441_255947250900193_3243282264861274199_n.jpg
Thanks a lot for the input What size did you go with to bolt on to the resonators?

Synergy720

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Hey guys I have a 2020 mustang GT A10 PP. I’m pretty green in the area and keep getting different answers. I’m looking at having LTHs installed. Is this a possibility without changing the stock exhaust/mid pipe? Or would I need to change the mid pipe, catback etc? Sorry if it’s a stupid question, thanks in advance for help guys!
You’d lose your factory cats but just get the high flow cats and you’ll be fine. I know LTH and Stainless Power/Works have their factory connect options that’ll allow you to run your factory catback on the car. That’s what I run with the Mach 1 axle backs. If you have the stock non active exhaust, it’s gonna sound like you have a factory exhaust with an H pipe. But if you have active exhaust it’ll sound pretty good. It’s up to you, but headers are a nice option.

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
Hmmm… it seems to me that with the expense and effort of installing LTH’s that there is a better solution to making the connection to the stock or aftermarket exhaust system? If all that is wanted is the sound of LTH’s then I guess that this would be OK. But, if performance gain (and there is more needed than just bolting on the headers) is the objective then the step down and step up connection is counter productive. Were this my set up I would have 3” pieces made and welded into place where the goofy pieces are. Yes, it would cost some to have a good job of fabricating the pieces and welding them in, mostly due to having to drop the pipes to weld them, but I am sure that the best gains and appearance would be had this way.

I have a cat back 3” on my car and LTH’s are always at the back of my mind. And, will most likely be installed when I rebuild the motor in the future.

This is intended as constructive criticism only and there is no intent to degrade.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Thanks a lot for the input What size did you go with to bolt on to the resonators?
It is factory size. It is indeed a step down and step back up. I believe its 2.5 inch.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Hmmm… it seems to me that with the expense and effort of installing LTH’s that there is a better solution to making the connection to the stock or aftermarket exhaust system? If all that is wanted is the sound of LTH’s then I guess that this would be OK. But, if performance gain (and there is more needed than just bolting on the headers) is the objective then the step down and step up connection is counter productive. Were this my set up I would have 3” pieces made and welded into place where the goofy pieces are. Yes, it would cost some to have a good job of fabricating the pieces and welding them in, mostly due to having to drop the pipes to weld them, but I am sure that the best gains and appearance would be had this way.

I have a cat back 3” on my car and LTH’s are always at the back of my mind. And, will most likely be installed when I rebuild the motor in the future.

This is intended as constructive criticism only and there is no intent to degrade.
Yes, stainless works and Texas speed has a "Performance connect" which does not neck down at all. I went factory connect to make it easier. Running NA there is virtually no performance impact. If/when I go boost, I wlll definitely fix the bottle neck especially since the Borla X pipe has a reducer on it anyway. Just remove the reducer and put a piece of straight 3 inch pipe in between, no problem for a muffler shop to cut and weld in place....

Sponsored

jpjr501

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - Procharged
I have Long Tubes, no cats, stock resonator and stock catback. My car still made 800hp. You should get high flow cats with your Long Tubes then keep the rest. After the cats it's just noise, not much to be gained anyway.

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would like to see back to back dyno results of both an NA car and blown car using an aftermarket x pipe vs that step down
Sponsored