Sponsored

Locked out of gth gear MT82

Agent_Kay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White Mustang GT
So I just installed my rebuilt mt82. Install went fine with no issues. Test drive went well through a couple gears. On the long drive home I tried going in 6th and it is completely locked out. Even parked with the car off it rows through the gears fine but won't go in 6th. I have MGW shifter and RST clutch. Also filled with BG Synchro shift. My question is, what are some things I can do before I go bug the builder? I plan on getting it back on the lift and checking the shifter. Making sure none of the heat protection for the MGW is getting bound up.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Agent_Kay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White Mustang GT
Is there anything with install that could cause trans not shifting into 6th?

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Bad syncro. Can you get in 6th gear when stopped?

OP
OP

Agent_Kay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White Mustang GT
Bad syncro. Can you get in 6th gear when stopped?
Not even when stopped. If that's the case it sucks to have to pull out the trans and have it shipped to fix a fresh rebuilt trans :(

Sponsored

OP
OP

Agent_Kay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White Mustang GT
have you called the transmission shop and explained the problem ?
Just got off the phone, he said it sounds strange. Even suggested maybe there's a small burr preventing it from sliding and I may need to firmly "help" it.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
you could try that but it could also mess up something else. Transmission shop should haved rowed all the gears before shipping the transmission. Maybe you can get it looked at by a local shop first. Make sure there is nothing unusual about the shifter or clutch.

OP
OP

Agent_Kay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White Mustang GT
you could try that but it could also mess up something else. Transmission shop should haved rowed all the gears before shipping the transmission. Maybe you can get it looked at by a local shop first. Make sure there is nothing unusual about the shifter or clutch.
Yeah I'll get it another look over the weekend when I get back in town. Just trying to get all the information on what I could do first before I go sending it off. I called MGW, the tech said if it goes into 5th it should have no problem going into 6th as it is going over far enough. Unless there is something physically blocking the shifter. Fingers crossed it is something that simple

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I would think the shop that performed the work should be responsible, no???
Take it back to them and let them know what's wrong.
Sponsored