papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
Having said that we do not know what lights Ford will use as DRLs and sidelights, I need a clarification about lights because will be the first time for me with a car equipped with DRL.
Until now I thought that DRLs have replaced the "sidelights" (I believe this is the english term for our "luci di posizione", the ones used only to make the car visible, front and back), but now I read of DRL and sidelights so I am a bit confused :confused:

This is the lights switch that we should have in Europe (taken from Ericc B reports from Geneva show):

On the left there are front and rear fog lights buttons, in the center we have the headlights height adjustment with 0...4 settings (probably mandatory for EU) and the the positions for lights.
For my knowledge (and the car I had), the first ("O") is ALL lights off, second ("><") is sidelights on front and back, third ("#D") is HID headlights on and fourth (the one with the "A" in the middle) is automatic lights.. whose behaviour I do not know.

My questions:
- when are supposed the DRLs to be on? Immediately after starting the car, even with the lights switch in "O" position?
- are the DRL supposed to have rear lights on too? Here in Italy I see all new cars with these led lights on (I think DRL) and rear lights off.
- is the second switch position for sidelights or DLR?
- what's the behaviour of automatic lights? Ok it switches on the lights at night, but only headlights? Or even sidelights when sunset arrives?
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
All good questions and hopefully someone will be able to answer them.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the EU law will soon mandate that DRLs will require front AND rear lights to be lit, but I don't know the timescale for that. Certainly it makes sense as, here in the UK at least, far too many people just rely on the DRLs and seem to forget they have NO rear lights on, even after dark. Idiots!!!

Personally, given the clear rear lights, I think it would be very cool if both front and rear light up as soon as you unlock the door.......

WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT convertible Oxford White
Normally the DRLs are illuminated at the front only when the switch is in the 0 position.

Depending on the vehicle the DRLs may either switch off or dim when the switch is set to side lights or headlights on position.

With headlights on automatic the side lights and headlights will switch on at dusk/when it gets dark.

draco24433

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium
Having said that we do not know what lights Ford will use as DRLs and sidelights, I need a clarification about lights because will be the first time for me with a car equipped with DRL.
Until now I thought that DRLs have replaced the "sidelights" (I believe this is the english term for our "luci di posizione", the ones used only to make the car visible, front and back), but now I read of DRL and sidelights so I am a bit confused :confused:

This is the lights switch that we should have in Europe (taken from Ericc B reports from Geneva show):

On the left there are front and rear fog lights buttons, in the center we have the headlights height adjustment with 0...4 settings (probably mandatory for EU) and the the positions for lights.
For my knowledge (and the car I had), the first ("O") is ALL lights off, second ("><") is sidelights on front and back, third ("#D") is HID headlights on and fourth (the one with the "A" in the middle) is automatic lights.. whose behaviour I do not know.

My questions:
- when are supposed the DRLs to be on? Immediately after starting the car, even with the lights switch in "O" position?
- are the DRL supposed to have rear lights on too? Here in Italy I see all new cars with these led lights on (I think DRL) and rear lights off.
- is the second switch position for sidelights or DLR?
- what's the behaviour of automatic lights? Ok it switches on the lights at night, but only headlights? Or even sidelights when sunset arrives?
I will try to answer as best as I can. Keep in mind that my car is US Spec so there is some differences. I will try to answer your questions in order.

1. The DRL's are supposed to be on all the time. As soon as I open my door, the DRL's are parking lights (turn signals) come on even in the "O" position.
2. That I don't know. But I always understood that the rear light was a fog light not a DRL. If you look at the switch, you have the option of turning on/off the light. Hopefully someone has a better answer than me on this one.
3. The second switch position is for what we call here in the US "parking lights" which is the both turn signals on (not the flashers) and the rear taillights.
4. The automatic lights come on automatically once the sensor detects a change in the amount of light coming through the window. This setting can be changed utilizing the middle screen between both gauge pods.

I hope this has helped some.

Alex

WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Alex, it sounds like the US cars function the same as the export models with a couple of minor differences. I guess what we're waiting to find out is which lights are going to be the DRLs.

Parking lights and side lights are the same thing, just different terminology.

I believe Papinist would have been referring to tail lights with the term rear light.

Sponsored

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
@draco24433 thanks for your reply! I know that US spec could be different (and it sure will!) but even understanding the basic working mode is interesting.

1. ok so DRL are on all the time the car has 'power', even with engine off.
2. I do not mean rear fog light, I mean the standard rear tri-bar.. will it goes on with DRL? E.G. if you drive with all lights off, front DRL is on, but even the rear tail lights are on?
3. What you called "parking lights" are our "luci di posizione" and probably the "sidelights" I read of. It is correct to have them on with the switch on the second position. You confirm that these are not DRL, that are instead already on.
4. Ok, but what lights will switch on automatically? First parking lights and then (when it's darker) headlights? Question is, could I always keep the switch on auto position and the correct lights will be selected at the right time?

For what do you use the parking lights? Really for 'parking' or is to increase visibility at day? Or maybe when external light stard to decrease, but not too much to need the headlights (this is what we do)?

deep south

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB auto convertible & Citroen C3
Usually the auto lights turn on the front headlamps and rear lights when it gets "dark" or if the wipers are on. Some cars do have a small front side light for parking purposes. I think drl's came in to stop idiots driving on them...
It is interesting to see them come on in a tunnel for example and go off back in daylight.
On some cars the drl's go off when headlamps come on. We will have to wait to see what we get...

Lord Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erwin
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT Mustang
@papinst: if the 'A' mode works like my MK3 Focus, the lights will come on as if you had put it in the #D position, so the full head/taillights when it is dark enough. Usually at night, in tunnels, but also when it rains and your automatic wipers come on.

Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
#D = front fog light
CI# = rear fog light
O = all lights off except DRLs which usually illuminate (little square above the front fog lights) when ignition is switched on but could be activated when door is opened.
#<># (second setting) = sidelights which I believe will activate the front tri bars and will definitely illuminate the rear tri bars
=D = main lights will be illuminated which is the main circle part of the front lights next to the tri bars
Circle with the A in the middle = Automatic lights setting. The DRLs will still activate by door opening or ignition on. However the sidelights (front tri bars), headlights and rear tri bars will only switch on when the light outside darkens enough to activate the sensor.
The symbol in the middle facing down is pressed and the turn switch will pop out, allowing you to select the 0.1.2.3.4 settings, which adjusts the height of the headlights.

Hope the above is clear, pretty difficult to symbolise everything on a phone keyboard :)

Reactions: AKS

Sponsored

Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
Today, french Tv show "automoto" test-drived an euro-specs Mustang.
I give you the link, but i'm sure that what you will see is not what we expect...

http://videos.tf1.fr/auto-moto/essai-video-la-nouvelle-ford-mustang-debarque-en-france-8599433.html
I can't believe they have made the front fog lights the DRLs for Europe :crazy: they look crap and now to everyone else you will just look like you have your fogs on the whole time :tsk:!!

So do we not have fog lights now and what are the little square lights that we thought were the DRLs now used for?!

I am hoping the DRLs can be turned off and the fog lights turned on when the lights are set to automatic.....this will then mean that this video just shows that the fog lights have been turned on and DRLs turned off for whatever reason :hail:

That also shows a UK number plate on that car so it must be doing the rounds over here as well.......

MoZ

MoZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang GT
Today, french Tv show "automoto" test-drived an euro-specs Mustang.
I give you the link, but i'm sure that what you will see is not what we expect...

http://videos.tf1.fr/auto-moto/essai-video-la-nouvelle-ford-mustang-debarque-en-france-8599433.html
Merci for sharing. This is the first vid of an eu spec car with the premium/custom pack as far as I'm aware. I don't speak French but got that the local mustang enthusiasts were impressed. What I'd like to know is what the guy who was driving it on the track had to say?

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
:eyebulge: really? Fog lights as DRLs?
:rant:
Someone must came out with some mod to that..

WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
That's what I was expecting to see after the first video.

Having the fogs on as DRLs looks far better than that stupid little square in my eyes, although both suck compared to the proper tri bar DRL the Americans get.

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
That's what I was expecting to see after the first video.

Having the fogs on as DRLs looks far better than that stupid little square in my eyes, although both suck compared to the proper tri bar DRL the Americans get.
You're right, but... really? Fog light as DRLs, when there are other 2 type of lights that could be used??
Sponsored