Sponsored

LED Switchback for the EU Mustang - Yes it's real! (and almost plug'n'play)

Gnome

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Stang!
I had flickering problem with new DD tri bar switchback kit, but removing the parking light globes stopped it. Maybe not a final solution but something easy to try.
Sponsored

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
I had flickering problem with new DD tri bar switchback kit, but removing the parking light globes stopped it. Maybe not a final solution but something easy to try.
What do you mean by globes? You removed the OEM parking light bulb?

Gnome

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Stang!
What do you mean by globes? You removed the OEM parking light bulb?
Yes, pulled the connector off the OEM parking globes, the tribars were flickering when the tri bars were in dim mode, with headlights or parking lights on. But in bright ( drl) mode they were ok. Still need to make sure but it seems so far that the parking light circuit can not provide enough current for tri bars and the original OEM parking globe.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Yes, pulled the connector off the OEM parking globes, the tribars were flickering when the tri bars were in dim mode, with headlights or parking lights on. But in bright ( drl) mode they were ok. Still need to make sure but it seems so far that the parking light circuit can not provide enough current for tri bars and the original OEM parking globe.
Thanks, I will try that. But I still don't get why it works when the engine is off :shrug:

Gnome

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Stang!
Thanks, I will try that. But I still don't get why it works when the engine is off :shrug:
When the engine is off you have a nice clean power feed, with the engine running the power is not a clean even feed. I have only just started to get interested in what goes on with these and don't know exactly what is what at the moment. When I could not get the first DD drivers working I played around a bit but as the new ones worked I left it there. You can see the sorts of signals that are on the DRL, blinker and parker circuits, I cant remember what was what now, but easy to see why they only flicker with the engine running. There are some pretty sophisticated electronics in this car and changing one thing can affect other things, so changing the original DRL from incandescent to led may even have an effect. It could even be that changing some other light elsewhere in the car have an influence I don't really know.

Mine work perfectly with original park light disconnected, original DRL disconnected and original factory globe connected in the indicator, all other lights standard. But I still want to look at getting the original DRL and Park lights going with LEDs so still have some work to do.

Edit. Did you check the DRL and Parking light wires in the DD drivers, on mine the colours in the installation sheet were back to front
IMG_3067.JPG
IMG_3068.JPG
IMG_3069.JPG

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
After trying around I just used the solution you mentioned. Once both parking light connectors are unplugged the Tribar parking light stopped to flicker when the engine is on. Other solutions didn't work as I hope, or I had to use the Osram DRL with the Tribar DRL together (which I don't want to).

So thanks for your input. In the end it looks better without OEM parking lights. But for People who want to use turn Signal switchbacks this is a serious problem

acull2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
iPace
Thanks Ace for all the infos, indeed, seems that we are lucky guys without this problem on our cars.

Before installing the Switchbacks, I already had a pair of LED turn signal bulbs running on the car and also no issues with them. So, as Ace said, it's not the product but the car itself who makes this problem.
Just want to confirm this for anyone else reading this thread. I got the exact parking LEDs and exactly switchback bulbs as Papinist and still have the same flickering issue with the indicator. I may try and build this digital circuit I mentioned now but it will take me a while - would be great if anyone else can find a solution!

Big_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback
Has anyone bought the switchback kit from Proledlights? Received mine today but there's no instructions, sent them a message and had a reply saying its easy & obvious ... it isn't though. There's 2 sets of bulbs, then an additional wiring loom with a wire tap, i thought you'd need one of those per side but apparently not :confused: it taps into the sidelight loom
led.jpg

acull2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
iPace
The two pairs I had used two taps - one each side into sidelight loom into each bulb. Maybe they expect you to tap one side and share it to the other - is the cable long enough to fit across the at through the crash bar?

Big_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback
The two pairs I had used two taps - one each side into sidelight loom into each bulb. Maybe they expect you to tap one side and share it to the other - is the cable long enough to fit across the at through the crash bar?
Possibly, there's a red cable which has no connector on it, i'm assuming that gets the tap attached. That then runs into a black connection gizmo which has 2 white cable with spade connectors on the end in it, one is quite short the other is about a metre long.

Sponsored

acull2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
iPace
Sounds about right to me. Fundamentally each switchback has to be connected to the indicator bulb socket, as well as needed a signal from the parking light.

Might be worth trying this understanding with the supplier again to see if they can confirm.

Big_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback
yes thats what they've confirmed. Still doesnt make it any clearer on how to install, not sure why they don't provide instructions.

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
You can follow my installation guide at the first posts in this thread :)

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
If the switchbacks you bought have the right connector, instruction list is very short:
- replace original turning lights bulb with the new switchbacks
- connect original connector from car to the switchbacks connector
- connect the third (spare) wire to '+' wire from parking lights (the small square next to turning lights)
- done :)
Sponsored