Sponsored

K&n drop in filter worth it?

Bill88stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt 6 speed manual
Not really planning on getting a cold air intake , was planning on a K&n drop in filter and either air air raid mit intake tube or the mishimoto intake tube. Is the K&n a. Enter choice them some of the dry filters?
Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
No it does nothing but last longer then your stock filter. It makes no extra power!

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Not really planning on getting a cold air intake , was planning on a K&n drop in filter and either air air raid mit intake tube or the mishimoto intake tube. Is the K&n a. Enter choice them some of the dry filters?
Tons of threads on this. You should do a forum search.

This will get interesting in about 5 posts...

OP
OP

Bill88stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt 6 speed manual
Just thought if I was going to go the route of the mishimoto Induciton hose or the air raid mit tube with a drop In Filter which would be the best choice that's all.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
Just thought if I was going to go the route of the mishimoto Induciton hose or the air raid mit tube with a drop In Filter which would be the best choice that's all.
I considered just the K&N drop in, as well as the tube and drop in, however I ended up getting a CAI from Steeda. I suggest the CAI. I bought the no-tune version because I plan to keep the warranty for awhile, however when you do get a tune you just pull out the reducer in the tube and you're all set. I really like the way the Steeda looks under the hood as well. The install was easy, it add's some sounds, it looks great under the hood, and it does add some power, even if minimal. If in the future you do plan to add some performance stuff you'll want a CAI, so you minds well just grab one now instead of spending the money on the drop-in and tube, only to upgrade again.

Sponsored

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
Worthless...no measurable or noticable performance gains in the real world.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Worthless...no measurable or noticable performance gains in the real world.

Does it make any extra volume/sound ?

I'm thinking of installing a K&N CAI just to increase motor volume/sound and delete the stupid sound tube thingy. I still want to hear the motor.

law242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
you hear a little more wooshy sound but thats about it

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
you hear a little more wooshy sound but thats about it

So removing the Sound Tube thingy and adding the K&N CAI is like cancelling and adding sound and I'll hear the motor fine :shrug:

Sponsored

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does it make any extra volume/sound ?

I'm thinking of installing a K&N CAI just to increase motor volume/sound and delete the stupid sound tube thingy. I still want to hear the motor.
K&N CAI or drop in filter? I ran a full K&N CAI on my previous vehicle, it was nice, but I like the Steeda on the Mustang. The Steeda also comes with the sound tube delete plugs. A CAI will add sound, it's more noticeable if you add it before an exhaust, however my Roush/X pipe is so loud the additional sound created from the CAI is mostly unnoticeable. It probably added a few RHWP, and looks really nice in the engine bay. I figure when I add a 350 manifold, tune, and headers in the future it will be more beneficial then.

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
For the record, if you go drop in filter there are better choices than K&N. They dont filter well and you can over oil them. I'd recommend a dry filter like AEM.

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
I was considering the steeda based on "easy" installation until I saw you have to cut at least one stock part. Does this affect warranty?

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was considering the steeda based on "easy" installation until I saw you have to cut at least one stock part. Does this affect warranty?
I thought that too, but it's just the small resonator? that you cut off the factory snorkel. The snorkel is not permanently connected to the air box so you could always get a new one for a few dollars at most. Nothing is modified on the stock air box itself and it can be put back on at anytime. From all accounts I've seen, a no-tune CAI will not effect the warranty, which is why I bought one, I like keeping my warranty.

I just checked, American Muscle sells the part you need to modify for $44. You can buy a 2nd one if you don't want to modify the first. It's called the "Ford inlet air duct resonator". This way you can keep the factory setup as-is, however I'd just modify the one you have now and if for some reason you ever decide to put the stock one back on, buy a new one at that time.
Sponsored