Sponsored

Joined the Whipple Club, Any Advice For a First Timer?

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
What’s concerning/frustrating is that @YumaStang ia being told one thing and tech support is telling @96gt4.6 another thing that’s not reference in the install guide, tech tips, and even contradicts the recent updated belt chart they released.
@Whipple SC we understand designs change frequently and optimization of the product is ideal. But these changes need to be communicated to the customers on a broader scale. Installation guides and belt charts need to be updated as we rely on the material you have published.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Btw, I’m using the below belt that was used with the kit before the update and recommended by @db252 who has done a lot these. It’s 106 length def doesn’t match up to their chart, can’t say I’ve had belt slip although I’m not sure I’ve tested it enough to feel it. Idk... guess maybe I’ll grab the 103 as tighter can only help right??
2E008387-252E-439F-B5B3-058F849A6A86.png

Last edited:

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
This weekend I was planning to check the auto tensioner and see how much travel it has. I'm as concerned as anyone with it being in the "right" position. If had to guess it's probably at about 90% travel right now, but will confirm and reply here.

I should have the car completely back together by Sunday and hope to drive it, but it snowed 4" last night and unless we have a heat wave and the roads are clear, she ain't leaving the garage. I'm pretty confident a few heat cycles and rips on the road will get it where it needs to be. For the record, I did not flip the T-nut around on the adjustable idler.
Yea bro and more coming Saturday. Damn New England

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yea bro and more coming Saturday. Damn New England
Yeah, not a fan. Unlikely I hit the road on Sunday, bummer.

I did throw the breaker bar on the auto tensioner last night. I have about 1-1.5" or so of travel to max. Not very much at all, again though, car hasn't been driven and only been running to top off coolants.

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, not a fan. Unlikely I hit the road on Sunday, bummer.

I did throw the breaker bar on the auto tensioner last night. I have about 1-1.5" or so of travel to max. Not very much at all, again though, car hasn't been driven and only been running to top off coolants.
Haha especially with 6 more inches coming Sunday night.
I’ve driven the car probably 5 times since install, total of maybe 50-70 miles. 5-8 WOT’s, can’t say I’ve felt any belt slip (not that I’ve experience it before and am an expert). I’ll check when I get home but believe my tensioner is around the 9 o’clock position. The 106 belt def went on easy... then I tighten it via the sliding pulley

Sponsored

YumaStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Received the K061031 from Whipple and installed it. With the adjustable idler pulley at the max position to the passenger side, my auto tensioner is about 90%. I ordered the 106” but contemplating whether to install this.

@Bbarfoot14 It is definitely frustrating to hear these contradictions between the technical customer support reps. It makes me question what the correct way forward is. (Swaping t-nut around). Even more frustrating is the poorly written installation instructions. I received my kit 2 weeks ago, direct ship from Whipple and it was a revision behind for the installation instructions. One big thing in the revision is that if you have the stage 2 kit, you do not have to remove the motor from your old throttle body to install into the new elliptical throttle body. You would hope that prior to a kit leaving Whipple’s factory, part of their quality check would to make sure all revision updates for parts, manuals, etc. are updated prior to shipment. Not bashing Whipple, just think that their process could be improved a little and when a customer pays this amount of money for an item let alone a “kit”, there is a certain level of expectation.

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Received the K061031 from Whipple and installed it. With the adjustable idler pulley at the max position to the passenger side, my auto tensioner is about 90%. I ordered the 106” but contemplating whether to install this.

@Bbarfoot14 It is definitely frustrating to hear these contradictions between the technical customer support reps. It makes me question what the correct way forward is. (Swaping t-nut around). Even more frustrating is the poorly written installation instructions. I received my kit 2 weeks ago, direct ship from Whipple and it was a revision behind for the installation instructions. One big thing in the revision is that if you have the stage 2 kit, you do not have to remove the motor from your old throttle body to install into the new elliptical throttle body. You would hope that prior to a kit leaving Whipple’s factory, part of their quality check would to make sure all revision updates for parts, manuals, etc. are updated prior to shipment. Not bashing Whipple, just think that their process could be improved a little and when a customer pays this amount of money for an item let alone a “kit”, there is a certain level of expectation.
Yea man, how outdated the install guide was, it made install a lot for timely then it had to be. I emailed them as I basically corrected and added notes throughout the install guide that can make it much easier. Who knows I’d theyll use the edits I provided cause who the fuck am I right? Lol
As for the belt, I just checked and basically I’m a bit more than halfway towArds the driver side on the sliding pulley. On the adjustable one, I confirmed it’s sitting at about 9/930 o clock. Belts been good with noise and slip and everything so far (in theory it has the same amount of tension as yours, just about pulley location at that point as my routing is a bit longer than yours I suppose)

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
QUOTE="YumaStang, post: 2477329, member: 39606"]Received the K061031 from Whipple and installed it. With the adjustable idler pulley at the max position to the passenger side,

But yea you and @Gee are going to let me know how the 103 works for you as I can always switch if something happened. Sold at any oreilys unlike the 106.

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yuma lives in a warm climate, he'll have more drives and updates on his long before me, keep us posted Yuma! The OP (96GT4.6) will also have some updates I'm sure after he puts some miles on the 102.5. I'm pretty convinced either of the belts 102.5 or 103.1 will be fine after a bit of stretching period. Difference being the 103 probably allows you to leave the T-nut on the adjustable idler as is without flipping it around. We're talking 0.6" here between the two, that's barely 0.5% of the overall belt length, lol.

OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/A6, 2020 Explorer ST
Indeed, I will keep you guys updated if any issues. Unfortunately 0 and negative degree temperatures coming up with more snow for me. I have around 200 miles on the setup, maybe 5-6 single gear pulls at best, rest is just daily driving. Once it warms up, I'll get to leaning on it some more. We have a track day coming up on the 29th, hopefully the weather holds for that as well.

Sponsored

YumaStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Update: Went on my first test drive today. The belt did stretch a little. With the adjustable idler pulley still at the max position towards the passenger side and T-nut per the instructions, I would say I am about 80% now. I was suprised how quiet this set up is!

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Update: Went on my first test drive today. The belt did stretch a little. With the adjustable idler pulley still at the max position towards the passenger side and T-nut per the instructions, I would say I am about 80% now. I was suprised how quiet this set up is!
What position would you say the auto tensioner is in? 9,10’oclock?

YumaStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
About the 10’oclock position. I measured the gap between the tensioner arm back and the stop and it has a 5/16” gap when cold.

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
That’s pretty much exactly where mine is too, 10 o’clock. 10” of snow about to fall tonight and too cold and wet to drive it today, this sucks balls.

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Good to hear man, I may end up trying that if I ever run into issues. @Gee and I are getting slammed with snow so we gotta live thru you lol
Sponsored