Jmeo's 2020 Shelby American GT500 SE Wide Body Build (+ "Phase 2")

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Why not just link to a host where you can have full resolution? I use Smugmug.

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Why not just link to a host where you can have full resolution? I use Smugmug.
That explains the smug look on your profile face......

I will look into it, thanks for the info.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've used 3 or 4 hosts over the past 20+ years. They all shit the bed (Photobucket being the worst of all of them). Smugmug doesn't limit me to a certain amount of photos or to resolution and they've literally stood the test of time - so far anyway.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Smugmug doesn't limit me to a certain amount of photos or to resolution and they've literally stood the test of time - so far anyway.
I don't use a photo site, Tob. Used to upload to Shutterfly but that's been many years ago. Took a look at SmugMug and learned that they do have limits although they're much greater than the image files that 99 percent of users might have to upload.

"What is the maximum file size for SmugMug?

The size limitations per photo are 500 mebibytes (a bit over 500 megabytes) and 4 gigapixels. RAW files have a limit of 3GB per photo. If a file exceeds those limits, we'll try to resample it (in the case of too many pixels) or recompress it (in the case of large file size) to bring it within the limits. Aug 17, 2023"

With this info, I decided to test M6G's limits and found that the forum's maximum upload file size is right at 5mb. That translates into a JPG image (using limited JPG compression,) with dimensions of approximately 5500 x 4200 pixels.

I have the same issue. Ever since I upgraded to the iPhone 15 Pro its pictures are too large to upload here.
I feel for the forum programmers Jaime because while they try to keep up with technology, the camera folks keep upping the ante with greater and greater image resolutions. Consequently, the current crop of image files have become "too large" to be posted on this site and sadly, the only way around it is to do as you described..crop, downsample, increase the JPG compression level or some combination of all three.

Here is the info on your phone:

Files sizes of photos taken at 24MP and 48MP:

24 MP Size:
3 MB for HEIF at 24 MP
4.8 MB for JPEG at 24 MP
35 MB for ProRAW at 24 MP
48 MP Size:
5 MB for HEIF Max at 48 MP
10 MB for JPEG Max at 48 MP
75 MB for ProRAW Max at 48 MP

Forget the HEIF format as it's not compatible with most hosting outfits and image editors. It's Apple's attempt at maintaining resolution BUT reducing file sizes. It MAY catch on or, it may not but if/until it does, don't use it.

You want "Max Compatible" in Settings/Camera which will default to JPG. You probably don't want the 48mp option <smiling> and you don't want ProRes enabled so your default resolution will be 12mp (uncompressed,) and depending on the complexity of the image, with JPG compression, will probably result in a file size of around 5mb which puts your right at the forum image file size limit.

So, depending on the number of colors in the image and it's dynamic range, SOME of your photos MAY upload successfully while others may not.

What I would do is, look at the size of the camera file you want to upload and if Finder or whatever the file manager is called in AppleBurg, <grin> tells you it's over 5mb, crop or resize. But, if it happens to be under 5mb, it might post.

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't use a photo site, Tob. Used to upload to Shutterfly but that's been many years ago. Took a look at SmugMug and learned that they do have limits although they're much greater than the image files that 99 percent of users might have to upload.

The size limitations per photo are 500 mebibytes (a bit over 500 megabytes) and 4 gigapixels. RAW files have a limit of 3GB per photo. If a file exceeds those limits, we'll try to resample it (in the case of too many pixels) or recompress it (in the case of large file size) to bring it within the limits. Aug 17, 2023"

With this info, I decided to test M6G's limits and found that the forum's maximum upload file size is right at 5mb. That translates into a JPG image (using limited JPG compression,) with dimensions of approximately 5500 x 4200 pixels.

I feel for the forum programmers Jaime because while they try to keep up with technology, the camera folks keep upping the ante with greater and greater image resolutions. Consequently, the current crop of image files have become "too large" to be posted on this site and sadly, the only way around it is to do as you described..crop, downsample, increase the JPG compression level or some combination of all three.

24 MP Size:
3 MB for HEIF at 24 MP
4.8 MB for JPEG at 24 MP
48 MP Size:

Forget the HEIF format as it's not compatible with most hosting outfits and image editors. It's Apple's attempt at maintaining resolution BUT reducing file sizes. It MAY catch on or, it may not but if/until it does, don't use it.

You want "Max Compatible" in Settings/Camera which will default to JPG. You probably don't want the 48mp option <smiling> and you don't want ProRes enabled so your default resolution will be 12mp (uncompressed,) and depending on the complexity of the image, with JPG compression, will probably result in a file size of around 5mb which puts your right at the forum image file size limit.

So, depending on the number of colors in the image and it's dynamic range, SOME of your photos MAY upload successfully while others may not.

What I would do is, look at the size of the camera file you want to upload and if Finder or whatever the file manager is called in AppleBurg, <grin> tells you it's over 5mb, crop or resize. But, if it happens to be under 5mb, it might post.
Good info Kent, thank you. I went and made the change to "most compatible" and will see how things go from here on out.

:beer:

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500

24 MP Size:
3 MB for HEIF at 24 MP
4.8 MB for JPEG at 24 MP
48 MP Size:

I just learned something today and I did not wake up 2 minutes ago 🤣

Last edited:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAW files have a limit of 3GB per photo. If a file exceeds those limits...
I shoot everything in raw. A 3 GB photo is crazy large. Smugmug handles my 45 megapixel R5 without a challenge. I'm guessing Jaime uses his cell phone...he wouldn't begin to come close to those limits.

I randomly chose a shot from my never ending Fox build. It's 5120 x 3165. You'd need a gigundus monitor to fit it in that res...click on it and then right click on it, then "open image in new tab." Then when you click on the newly opened image you can get full res. I pixel peep so I appreciate hi-res and I get that cell phones (some of them anyway) are now capable of some large file sizes. But to be able to upload a given large size photo and then link said photo...forum posters won't be disappointed by file sizes. If you are - you're a pro.

Last edited:

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
I shoot everything in raw.
Same here, Tob.

Smugmug handles my 45 megapixel R5
<moaning> I have been salivating over an R8 for a good while, Tob, but OMG, an R5! The word envious would be an understatement on my part, amigo. I've seen R5 images from my nephew who basically stole one from his previous employer for next to nothing, lucky bastid.

The image of the Fox project is SO good it's incredible and I can only imagine what the 45mp images look like. Killer rez for large prints but impractical even for a nut like me with many, many terabytes of storage. <laughing> What glass do you have with the R5?

I pixel peep so I appreciate hi-res
<smiling> I probably peep thirty or forty times a day tweaking images so I feel ya. We get spoiled by the camera manufacturers giving us all those pixels and now, when I open a low rez image, I grimace most of the time. <grin>

Been using a handful of Topaz Labs plugins for a long time and one of them, Gigapixel AI, does an excellent job of upsampling low rez images. (Better than I can do with PS.) I also use Denoise AI and Sharpen Ai.

But here's the thing, a well-known photographer once wrote,

"The best camera is the one you have with you,"

..and for most of us, that's the phone. My nephew is one of the crazies and carries his R5 everywhere (but he's only thirty.) I've had a 7D for a good while but other than vehicle photo sessions, I rarely pick it up.

Do you ever use the phone for photos, Tob? My guess is, occasionally but I think if I had an R5 or even an R8, I would be more like my nephew. :=)

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What glass do you have with the R5?
RF 50mm F1.2
RF 85mm F1.2
RF 24-70mm F2.8
RF 70-200mm F2.8

I have the Canon EF to RF mount adapter so I can use my EF lenses on the R5 too.

EF 16-35mm F4
EF 24-105mm F4
EF 70-300mm F4-5.6

Do you ever use the phone for photos, Tob?
For the car...never. For quick reference for a text message, etc...all the time.

I do some work with an actor in the family so I use a number of different tripods, interior backgrounds, etc, for video auditions or photographs. That encouraged me to spend some money on lights but I much prefer shooting outside in natural light. I picked up a DJI Osmo Pocket 3 a few months ago along with DJI's Mic2 combination (in addition to the Mic2 that comes with the Pocket 3 combo pack). I hope to capture some rolling GT500 footage as well as exhaust sound that doesn't get clipped and the Mic2 should allow that with its 32 bit float capability. It'll be nice to not have to drag around the R5/lenses for anything quick as the Pocket 3 does a damn good job (as much as it is limited by its fixed, F2.0 aperture).

Any, Jaime, sorry for the hijack. We really need a dedicated photography thread here in the GT500 forum.

Last edited:

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
<smiling> I suppose I should have known that someone with an R5 would have a ton of lenses but you clearly covered the spectrum, Tob! What is your "go to" choice, the nifty fifty?

I picked up a DJI Osmo Pocket 3 a few months ago
I also picked up an Osmo Pocket but that was when DJI first released it and, I was actively drone flying at the time. For shooting matches, the drone did all the overhead work and I would use the Osmo for interviews with the shooters after a stage.

GREAT little device but, I haven't used mine in a number of years.

We really need a dedicated photography thread here
I second that emotion.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is your "go to" choice, the nifty fifty?
I can't answer that. I like them all!

If Jaime called me and said "Hey Tob, I wanna fly you out here to take some killer shots of the most badass car of all time" I'd probably bring the 70-200, the 24-70, some ND filters, a remote trigger and tripod.

:)

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I can't answer that. I like them all!

If Jaime called me and said "Hey Tob, I wanna fly you out here to take some killer shots of the most badass car of all time" I'd probably bring the 70-200, the 24-70, some ND filters, a remote trigger and tripod.

:)
You‘re both speaking Greek to me, but if you are half serious, you bet your ass I’d love to have you fly out here. I would never say those words exactly, because it’s not that nice, but it would be great to meet you finally, and I’d love to see what you and those thingies you speak of can do. That, and we’d have to visit a local dealership to see the nicest guy we both know while you’re here.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ha! Our compadre has mentioned that to me a few times. We shall see as we work our way out of the shit weather season...

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ha! Our compadre has mentioned that to me a few times. We shall see as we work our way out of the shit weather season...
Sounds like a great plan!

Tennkid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500, 2007 Tacoma, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX 1200
Got some outside pictures today to see the new front wheel stance and home grown splash guards. Home run if you ask me.

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 7.57.09 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 7.57.22 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 7.57.36 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 7.57.48 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 7.58.02 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 7.58.23 PM.png

My car was gone so long my son bought himself a play car (1991 Toyota MR2) and took over my cars usual winter spot., so I took the wife's spot.

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 7.59.13 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 7.59.26 PM.png

In preparation for a little something I have up my sleeve, I switched to working on Rappy for the afternoon. AirLift bags installed in the rear coil springs pretty easily, thanks to the lift..... I'd better be quick with the Raptor before she gets home.......

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 8.00.14 PM.png

Done! She'll never know, ha-ha.
Got some outside pictures today to see the new front wheel stance and home grown splash guards. Home run if you ask me.

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 7.57.09 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 7.57.22 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 7.57.36 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 7.57.48 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 7.58.02 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 7.58.23 PM.png

My car was gone so long my son bought himself a play car (1991 Toyota MR2) and took over my cars usual winter spot., so I took the wife's spot.

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 7.59.13 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 7.59.26 PM.png

In preparation for a little something I have up my sleeve, I switched to working on Rappy for the afternoon. AirLift bags installed in the rear coil springs pretty easily, thanks to the lift..... I'd better be quick with the Raptor before she gets home.......

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 8.00.14 PM.png

Done! She'll never know, ha-ha.
She looks SO SWEET Jamie. If it ever quits raining here in East TN, I'm getting mine out next week for sure.