Sponsored

Issues with IC and piping

Alloy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 EB
I have a MAP IC in which I am using stock piping with silicone hoses. I won't go into the troubles I've had with the tubing constantly popping off even with T bolt clamps....but I do need some of your knowledge/experience regarding the Intake Air Temp sensor.

I am in the process of going back and forth with email tuning. It's been one issue after another and my tuner has been awesome in helping correct some of the issues. The most recent issue that I do need help with is the temp reading from the Intake Air Temp sensor. First off where is it located? I ask because I wanted to verify nothing was damaged or affecting the temps. Even with my MAP IC my temps have been pretty high during the summer months and with this cold blast we currently have in TX my temps are no where I thought they would be. Driving on the highway in 55 degree weather generates IAT temps about 10 degrees above ambient. If I drive long enough in the highway, it will go down as low as 6 degrees above ambient but never quite gets to ambient. With these temps it's not such a big deal but when it's warmer say 85, the IAT temps will be 15-20 degrees above ambient while driving normally. None of these temps are obtained during any kind of spirited driving.

I recently cleaned my JLT intake air filter and reoiled per instructions without oversaturating about 6 weeks ago. My tuner turned off my secondary O2 sensor due to check engine light which came on after 6 months of having my catted MAP DP. Double checked sensor wiring and no issues found. Other than the occasional silicone hot side piping popping off when i go into full boost, There are no other issues than i can think of that would/might/could affect anything.

As i stated in the beginning I would like to check the IAT sensor to make sure it's not damaged/or not correctly installed. Other than that I'm at a loss as to what could be causing the temps to stay so high. Another example was the other night it was 49 degrees ambient and my IAT temps were at 71 degrees.

Any assistance/advice is extremely appreciated!
Sponsored

paullyd210

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
A ticking time bomb ;)
the IAT sensor is located towards the end (or beginning depending on how you look at it lol) of the intake near the filter it's hard to miss there is a bung with a sensor sticking out with wires at the end of it.

the IAT2/charge air/post intercooler temp sensor is located on the right side of the intercooler when directly facing the vehicle if you installed the IC yourself this is the sensor you transferred from the stock unit to the aftermarket one

it is important to know the reading given on the display gauge is from the sensor described in my first paragraph this reading will be altered by surrounding engine temp it will never be below the true ambient air and honestly this number really isnt that important when tuning the number you should be more concerned with is the IAT2/charge air temp this reading is available when datalogging on your tuner device

Last edited:

paullyd210

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
A ticking time bomb ;)
pic for reference
stock intake.gif

OP
OP

Alloy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 EB
ok, so then I can monitor the IAT2 with my Cobb tuner and not be too concerned about the IAT reading. I just thought the IAT1 was the sensor to be mindful of. I appreciate the help :) .

paullyd210

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
A ticking time bomb ;)
ok, so then I can monitor the IAT2 with my Cobb tuner and not be too concerned about the IAT reading. I just thought the IAT1 was the sensor to be mindful of. I appreciate the help :) .
you got it on the cobb tuner it is listed as "Charge Air Temp" in the parameters

Sponsored

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a little trick with your IC pipes on the IC itself, spray the inside of the intercooler pipes you are putting on your IC with hair spray before you pop them on and tighten them up. Not only will it make them slip on easy at first when they dry they are a bitch to get off (Provided you clamped them down properly)

OP
OP

Alloy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 EB
Here is a little trick with your IC pipes on the IC itself, spray the inside of the intercooler pipes you are putting on your IC with hair spray before you pop them on and tighten them up. Not only will it make them slip on easy at first when they dry they are a bitch to get off (Provided you clamped them down properly)
Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to get some Aquanet :)
Sponsored