Sponsored

Is the mustang your first modern performance car?

First modern performance car 2000-current

• Total voters

Pokergeneg

POKERGENE
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gene
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT CO
My trade-in for a GT CO Auto 401A 50 yr pk 3.55 NAV was a 96 Mustang V-6
which was my DD for 18 yrs/3 mos and the only tech on it was am/pm/cas
radio, a/c, and cruise control. Heck when I drove it home, it took me 10 mins
to figure out how to turn off the radio. " I may date a Plain Jane but I will never
drive one".
Sponsored

JohnK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Ruby Red
My last performance car was a 1967 Chevy Malibu - 327 CI, 275 HP, 4 Speed - bought when I was a junior in college. Now that are kids are grown and the wife's car is paid for, the door was open to buy the Mustang. It's supposed to be delivered on 03/15 - really looking forward to having something fun to drive again!

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
This wont be my first performance car. I'm currently rocking a 2013 Kia Pro_Cee'd GT hot hatchback (picture below).

200hp from a little 1.6L Turbo Charged 4-pot. For a car like this its pretty brisk if you're good off the line - 6.8s is the best I've gotten to 60mph.

The three biggest hurdles I'll face with the Mustang GT I plan on buying are:

• The sheer size of the car compared to a normal family hatch. It'll be like going from a shoe box to a land yacht.
  • Rear-Wheel drive layout.
  • A full 200+hp more than my present car.

Keeping to the break-in period will not be an issue for me, as I'll be too scared to go above 3500rpm for fear for my life and my insurance premiums. The first 1000 miles will just be getting used to the rear drive layout. I can make my front drive car do anything, but switching the driven wheels will be like learning how to ride the proverbial bike all over again.

Hopefully I wont be in a ditch a month after I buy the damned thing.

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
This wont be my first performance car. I'm currently rocking a 2013 Kia Pro_Cee'd GT hot hatchback (picture below).

200hp from a little 1.6L Turbo Charged 4-pot. For a car like this its pretty brisk if you're good off the line - 6.8s is the best I've gotten to 60mph.

The three biggest hurdles I'll face with the Mustang GT I plan on buying are:

• The sheer size of the car compared to a normal family hatch. It'll be like going from a shoe box to a land yacht.
  • Rear-Wheel drive layout.
  • A full 200+hp more than my present car.

Keeping to the break-in period will not be an issue for me, as I'll be too scared to go above 3500rpm for fear for my life and my insurance premiums. The first 1000 miles will just be getting used to the rear drive layout. I can make my front drive car do anything, but switching the driven wheels will be like learning how to ride the proverbial bike all over again.

Hopefully I wont be in a ditch a month after I buy the damned thing.

As much as i can't stand Kia's, that actually looks bloody brilliant. Even Jeremy Clarkson said so, so that means it must be brilliant!

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
This is my first performance car. Just had standard vehicles before, 93 Honda Accord, Chevy cavalier, 97 F150, 2012 veloster then a 2014 Turbo Veloster, Which was a really fun little car, but it had to much power for FWD. Granted there's mods I could have done to suspension and better tires but in the end not worth it, plus it was a lease and shortly after I got a promotion so i was finally able to get a mustang after wanting one for ten years.

Sponsored

MagneticMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
I owned a highly modified 1989 Toyota Supra turbo, loved it, miss it.
The GT convertible is the closest thing out there to it nowadays, except maybe the Nissan Z, but I test drove some roadsters and don't like the blind spot with the top up when looking over my left shoulder to change lanes.

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
As much as i can't stand Kia's, that actually looks bloody brilliant. Even Jeremy Clarkson said so, so that means it must be brilliant!
T'Was James May in Top Gear magazine. He said it was extremely close to the Golf GTi but far cheaper (by a good 30%).
Jeremy hates it! He said it had no power but he never let it warm up properly for his review (the ECU massively reduces boost pressure when its cold - ergo no power - Kia calls it Turbo Preservation or something like that). But he's also the man that gave a car a bad review because he stalled it :lol:

As for the car itself, its fantastic. I call him Sprocket :p

The Cee'd range in Europe is a very serious alternative to the likes of the Focus and the Golf, so its far superior to the American Forte Hatch and Forte Coupe that Kia push over there as something cheap to fill the family hatchback block in their fleet book.

200hp suits the chassis perfectly and it holds its line very well through the bends. There's no fancy diff, its just open, so it can run very wide if you go in too hot (which almost sent me into a barrier! whoops), but you can modulate it all with the throttle. Back off slightly and it tucks the nose in. Brakes are good but fade with very hard driving and the pedal is a little spongy at the top end, steering is also a little bit numb but its fast to react to movements. Shifting is the best bit about it. Really smooth, slots into gear beautifully and accurately and not so short throw it becomes tiresome. Its a "just-right" affair.

For a ÂŁ20k starting price (incl. tax, delivery, plates, registration, VED) and how it drives it was a no brainer over the other cars I was looking at when I bought it.

Equipment is very generous on it, too. Part Alcantara and part (real) Leather Recaro bucket seats, full IRS, all around disk brakes, thicker anti-roll bars, fully retuned steering, full body kit and every creature comfort you could want.

Fully recommend it over a Golf GTi if someone is after a more refined and civilised Hot Hatch. :thumbsup:

The only problem with me liking the Kia so much is that I'm going to miss it dearly when I buy my Mustang. :(:(:(

Watch as I lose my man card when I trade him in. A tear can and will be shed!

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I second the looks. If they didn't revamp the looks, I doubt I would of gotten a mustang. But the revamp & ecoboost, dreams come true haha.
I have driven turbo 4 compacts continiously since 85 as my daily drivers. The looks of the 15 with the availability of the turbo 4 I was sold.

I also have a 68 Barracuda with a ~400 HP small block that I have owned since 97.
Sponsored