Sponsored

Is my clutch shot?

Yawnn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT [Ruby Red]
A few days ago I was on the freeway doing high rpm shifts. When I came to a stop I smelled burnt clutch smell. The car somewhat hesitated and vibrated a bit taking off first gear. The clutch felt somewhat mushy and I thought it just needed time to cool off. I parked my car for a couple hours at work then later when I was leaving and reversed the car was struggling/hesitating to reverse. Same thing with going off first with a faint clutch smell. The car was fine going through the gears although I could tell the rpms didn’t really match the speed. Getting home I couldn’t reverse into the driveway so I had to push my car into my driveway. The car turns on and I can shift all gears and what not but they don’t engage to move the car. I barley have about 24,000 miles on the car so it’s early for it to have gone out so quickly. I’m assuming my clutch is done and needs replacing?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
A few days ago I was playing around with another car doing high rpm shifts. When I came to a stop I smelled burnt clutch smell. The car somewhat hesitated and vibrated a bit taking off first gear. The clutch felt somewhat mushy and I thought it just needed time to cool off. I parked my car for a couple hours at work then later when I was leaving and reversed the car was struggling/hesitating to reverse. Same thing with going off first with a faint clutch smell. The car was fine going through the gears although I could tell the rpms didn’t really match the speed. Getting home I couldn’t reverse into the driveway so I had to push my car into my driveway. The car turns on and I can shift all gears and what not but they don’t engage to move the car. I barley have about 24,000 miles on the car so it’s early for it to have gone out so quickly. I’m assuming my clutch is done and needs replacing?
Correct. It’s fried. Once the slip starts, it’s all over.

dprpsp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
A few days ago I was playing around with another car doing high rpm shifts. When I came to a stop I smelled burnt clutch smell. The car somewhat hesitated and vibrated a bit taking off first gear. The clutch felt somewhat mushy and I thought it just needed time to cool off. I parked my car for a couple hours at work then later when I was leaving and reversed the car was struggling/hesitating to reverse. Same thing with going off first with a faint clutch smell. The car was fine going through the gears although I could tell the rpms didn’t really match the speed. Getting home I couldn’t reverse into the driveway so I had to push my car into my driveway. The car turns on and I can shift all gears and what not but they don’t engage to move the car. I barley have about 24,000 miles on the car so it’s early for it to have gone out so quickly. I’m assuming my clutch is done and needs replacing?
It sounds like it is shot. I just had mine replaced with 25,500 on it. It was covered by Ford under the bumper to bumper warranty.

OP
OP
Yawnn

Yawnn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It sounds like it is shot. I just had mine replaced with 25,500 on it. It was covered by Ford under the bumper to bumper warranty.
Interesting... I’m wondering if Ford would cover mine. Did you have to fight them on it?

dprpsp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Interesting... I’m wondering if Ford would cover mine. Did you have to fight them on it?
No. I really just called the dealer to get a price to decide if I should do it myself. They asked me my vin # & how many miles. She checked on computer and said Ford says it is covered under the bumper to bumper warranty. I even used roadside assistance to have it towed there for free. I have the PP3, MF catback & Barton shifter & nothing was asked about them. It did take them 3 weeks to fix though. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Yawnn

Yawnn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No. I really just called the dealer to get a price to decide if I should do it myself. They asked me my vin # & how many miles. She checked on computer and said Ford says it is covered under the bumper to bumper warranty. I even used roadside assistance to have it towed there for free. I have the PP3, MF catback & Barton shifter & nothing was asked about them. It did take them 3 weeks to fix though. It doesn't hurt to ask.
You had similar symptoms as I did? I don’t really have any mods currently other than an oil catch can, Corsa catback, and springs. Guess it doesn’t hurt to ask. I believe my bumper to bumper might be expired by about a couple months though... I purchased December 2015. Still have the 5yr/60k.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
It's possible telling them you were getting a price to decide to DIY or not might have helped the dealer's decision to warranty it. I can see them deciding being paid by Ford is better than not getting anything for cases that could go either way.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT

lucky guy. Dealer told me at 19k the clutch was on me. Warranty was only for first 12 months of ownership. They were replacing the tranny and said the clutch had half life left which is weird cause I drive conservative. It cost me $540 . New clutch, flywheel, tob, pilot bearing. ( tob, pilot bearing were original warranty items so I hope to god they replaced them). after 10k, new clutch feels like shit. It had vibes after break in but they didn't want to do anything but document and say if anything happens its covered. I doubt that.
Sponsored