Sponsored

Is it ok to lift rear of Mustang using a jack below the rear differential ?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
So this is the stronger one? I was looking for the cover to be rusted
Only the pumpkin comes in different alloys (aluminum or iron). The cover is aluminum for all of them which is why you don't see rust. Yes you have the stronger one, but only in the mounting sense eg. the ears that mount it to the chassis is where it usually fails. The differential itself inside is not any stronger than others.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I think some of the concern with jacking up an IRS rear (like the S550) from just the pumpkin is that the weight of the vehicle is now on the rear diff flanges and associated mounting bolts.
Exactly. Lifting the car puts the diff bushings in shear from a few hundred pounds of the rear suspension/wheels/cradle/etc. And it's not good to use a jack as a stand, unless it for just a moment and never when you're under the car.

Lifting the car with the diff puts those bushings in shear with a couple thousand pounds from the weight of the car.

On rare occasions I will lift the rear of my car from the center using a jack under the diff. But either I keep the session super short (a minute or two), or I put some jacks stands back there and let off on the jack.

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I feel like it's easier to just buy a 2nd jack and have my friend double jack the car simultaneously and set it on stands lol. and couldn't you also use the 2nd jack as a jackstand?

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT Premium / Iconic Silver 10 Speed Auto
This is another thread that gets beat to death. The best course of action on (IRS) is to never jack up the rear end by the pumpkin alone. If you are going to do a lot of your own service and keep the car for a while. Invest in jacking rails and a good set of jack stands. BMR are the best and strongest out there. (Jacking Rails)

Sponsored

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Why don't bite the bullet and bring home a QuickJack? That's the safest and quickest way to lift the car, the only drawback it's the cost.

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
IMG_4746.jpeg
brb, installing a lift in my apartment parking lot :cwl:
on a serious note, I can just jack on the yellow and jackstand the red jack pads right
IMG_4813.jpeg

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
IMG_4746.jpeg
brb, installing a lift in my apartment parking lot :cwl:
on a serious note, I can just jack on the yellow and jackstand the red jack pads right
IMG_4813.jpeg
Yes

Cyberbill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium Gt Convertible
Like everyone has said…don’t ever get under your car with just the hydraulic Jack holding it up ! If the seals in the Jack fail, you will be headed off to the hospital with an imprint of a muffler on your face…. The ER doctors won’t know what to do!! LOL
Grandpa Bill

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Get one of these jack cross beam adapters and you can jack the IRS frame without fear of tearing diff bushing or breaking diff ears. I throw a couple solid hockey pucks on top of the plates to clear the exhaust. Make sure you chock the front wheels.
1684166876496.png

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
Seriously, install the full length jacking rails on your car. Spend some quality time with your jack and jack stands to get the car in the air, then adjust the height on each side until the car is level. If you have a QuickJack system, then that's great so long as your working surface is already level.

I have a similar jacking system as what is pictured installed on that jack above, and that I can use to lift the rear subframe if I have to disconnect anything, but that is used once the car is already in the air. It's not meant to lift the car BY that system alone. It's meant to lift sub-components UP to where the car IS. It's essentially a glorified transmission jack.

Nothing beats a quality 2-post lift, but without that having sturdy jack stands that make the car level and safe to work under is the next best thing IMO.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I have a similar jacking system as what is pictured installed on that jack above, and that I can use to lift the rear subframe if I have to disconnect anything, but that is used once the car is already in the air. It's not meant to lift the car BY that system alone. It's meant to lift sub-components UP to where the car IS. It's essentially a glorified transmission jack.
That jack adapter can lift the whole rear. It is rated for 4000lbs (3000lbs fully extended). I use it if I just want the back of the car in the air. Pump the jack and add jackstands in front of the rear wheels on the jacking rails. Remove the jack.

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Exactly. Lifting the car puts the diff bushings in shear from a few hundred pounds of the rear suspension/wheels/cradle/etc. And it's not good to use a jack as a stand, unless it for just a moment and never when you're under the car.

Lifting the car with the diff puts those bushings in shear with a couple thousand pounds from the weight of the car.

On rare occasions I will lift the rear of my car from the center using a jack under the diff. But either I keep the session super short (a minute or two), or I put some jacks stands back there and let off on the jack.
Yeah. Which is why I'm surprised Ford says its a jack point.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Yeah. Which is why I'm surprised Ford says its a jack point.
Do they though? There is nothing in the manual about alternate jacking locations.
The service manual shows these as the only jack locations.
1684173168592.png
Sponsored